Pumping at work: washing the pump?

Old January 6th 04, 10:22 AM
Jose

Default Pumping at work: washing the pump?

I have a question that is probably a bit silly:

I have just started back at work and I will be pumping/expressing for my six
and a half month old daughter. So far I have just been back a half day (4
hours) and just pumped once and that worked fine. But on the day after tomorrow
(Wed.) I will have to work the whole day (and Thur.).

Because I only worked 4 hours today I only pumped once and put the pump (Avent)
in the dishwasher when I came home this evening. But on Wed. and Thurs. I
am going to have to pump maybe three times (maybe two) (at work for 8 and
a half hours).

Now this sounds like a really silly question: do I need to wash the pump
between pumping? Surely? But I won't be able to wash at easily as at home
and that is going to be a pain two or three times a day. Also should I
sterilise it between pumping? I don't see how I can do that at work.

As it happens I have another Avent pump, chipped, that I dropped onto a tiled
floor, but maybe it's still usable. Perhaps I could take two sterilised pumps
in to work

As I said: sounds like a silly question, but I need some advice.

Thanks,
Jose

--
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are -

Old January 6th 04, 10:25 AM
Mary Ann Tuli

Now this sounds like a really silly question: do I need to wash the pump
between pumping? Surely? But I won't be able to wash at easily as at home
and that is going to be a pain two or three times a day. Also should I
sterilise it between pumping? I don't see how I can do that at work.

I don't think it's a silly question at all.
I suggest you make sure the pump is covered and then put the whole thing
in the fridge. I used to leave the bottle attached, cap the other end,
put the pump in my cool bag and place at the back of the fridge.
I would then wash the whole thing at home and by the time my son was 6
1/2 months old I think I only sterilised once a week. For a healthy full
term infant, very hot water (or a dishwasher) should be fine.

Good luck :-)

Mary Ann

Old January 6th 04, 10:30 AM
Anne Rogers

I take and avent isis to work, I pop it in a cool bag with an ice block
and as many storage bottles as I think I will need, if I get the chance I
put the whole thing in the refrigerator, but usually I don't and I haven't
had any problems.

Old January 6th 04, 12:38 PM
Nancy P

"Jose" wrote in message
I have a question that is probably a bit silly:

Now this sounds like a really silly question: do I need to wash the pump

between pumping? Surely? But I won't be able to wash at easily as at home
and that is going to be a pain two or three times a day. Also should I
sterilise it between pumping? I don't see how I can do that at work.

I just sealed the pump parts in a ziploc and refrigerated it along with the
milk, dishwashing it at night. Its just your milk that's in there....

Nancy

Old January 6th 04, 02:45 PM

Jose wrote:
[...]

I normally use a Medela Pump In Style when I'm at work. I started out
washing all the parts every time, but the skin on my hands quickly became
so dry that it started cracking. So, to save my skin (so to speak), I now
just rinse the parts in hot water and then let them air dry. I've used the
Isis when I'm going to be in places that are inconvenient for pumping (and
therefore inconvenient for washing) and just pack it up in the bag with
the cooling packs. My only problem was that if I used the petal insert
thingy on the horn with this method, it would suck milk up under it and
then it would be all sticky. I liked using it without the insert better.

Manda
Old January 6th 04, 04:00 PM
Elizabeth Reid

"Jose" wrote in message ...
[...]

I used to pump three times a day, and I'd just put the whole thing
into the fridge, no washing or sterilizing. Never had any problems.
I used the little zip-seal baggies to put the pumped milk in, since
I did think it might be a risk to pump new milk on top of a large
quantity of previously pumped milk, but I never did any other
washing.

Beth
Old January 6th 04, 08:14 PM
Liz S. Reynolds

In article , wrote:

I normally use a Medela Pump In Style when I'm at work. I started out
washing all the parts every time, but the skin on my hands quickly became
so dry that it started cracking. So, to save my skin (so to speak), I now
just rinse the parts in hot water and then let them air dry. I've used the
Isis when I'm going to be in places that are inconvenient for pumping (and
therefore inconvenient for washing) and just pack it up in the bag with
the cooling packs. My only problem was that if I used the petal insert
thingy on the horn with this method, it would suck milk up under it and
then it would be all sticky. I liked using it without the insert better.

I used the Ameda Purely Yours with my first. I'd rinse with warm water
after each session and wash with hot water and dish detergent at the end of
the day. I kept a pair of rubber gloves in my kit to save my hands.

-Liz

Old January 7th 04, 10:25 AM
Kris

Hi,
I found the easiest option for me was to express by hand at work. (I was
lucky enough to find it quicker). Even if it takes you a minute or two
longer it saves on all the washing up hassles. Just an alternative thought
that might work for some people.

Kris

Old January 7th 04, 11:15 AM
Anne Rogers

I found the easiest option for me was to express by hand at work. (I was
lucky enough to find it quicker). Even if it takes you a minute or two
longer it saves on all the washing up hassles. Just an alternative thought
that might work for some people.

what do you express into? I can get a very good flow by hand, so it
probably is faster, I just can't catch the milk!

Old January 7th 04, 01:01 PM
Jose M

Thanks all of you for your advice. First, sorry to have posted twice.

Today I have pumped once so far, and I:
- rinsed the pump under hot (-ish) tap water, and put the pump (capped
both ends) and the bottle separately in ziplock bags in the fridge
- I'll use a second clean bottle for the next pumping, since that's no
trouble anyway

I'll stick it all in the dishwasher this evening, and sterilise it,
just to be sure. I have a microwave steriliser that is little effort
anyway. (We run the dishwasher at only 50 C, so I think that doesn't
count as really hot water.?) It's a relief not to have to be washing
it all each time, though I still feel a little bit iffy not washing
it.

I have the Avent cool bag with me, but I have forgotten again today to
bring the ice packs so I'm just really using it as a storage bag.

I only pumped one side, because my daughter only ever drinks from one
side at a time. I am also not sure yet how often to pump, but I just
had a thought that I will ask our Kinderfrau (I'm in Germany) to write
down when she feeds her and how much and try to match that. She's not
very keen on solids at the moment (I only started a week or two ago)
so she's mostly on (my) milk.

I'll be freezing most of the milk, since I am only working Mon, Wed,
Thur. But the milk I pump today (Wed) she could drink tomorrow, I'll
just put in the fridge. Assuming I have pumped approx what she drinks

Does this all sound about right?

This takes quite some getting used to after ever-so-simple breast
feeding.

One last question. My old pump, that I dropped, has a chip off it, and
a small crack. The chip and crack is right in the middle, inside,
where it will be in contact with the milk. I think the crack will trap
bacteria and make it unhygenic to use, what do you think? I bought a
new one, but it would be convenient to have a second one sometimes.

Jose