Letter to the Editor

Old February 15th 04, 02:06 PM
Lorraine

Default Letter to the Editor

I ran across the letter below in the local newspaper. I thought you
might enjoy it. I've heard most of it before, but the part that really
stood out for me was the comment about formula being human milk and not
alien milk. At least I think that's what she's trying got say. That's a
new one.

I'm guessing that her letter in response to the article found at
http://cjonline.com/stories/020704/04p_rosen.shtml

Along with the letter, there is a link at the top of
http://cjonline.com/stories/021504/opi_letters.shtml to submit your own
letter to the editor which will take you to the email address of
. If I were even a little bit gifted in the letter
writing area, I would respond, but alas, I'm not.

Lorraine
-- former lurker, grandma to Madison weaned at 3.5 yrs.

The letter.....

Bottle vs. breast

I don't know why I was surprised to open the "Timeline to Tomorrow" in
the paper and find again that people are condemning people who bottle
feed their children instead of breast-feed them.

I mean give them "human milk". So what is formula? -- juice from aliens?
I am tired of being looked at and judged because I didn't breast-feed my
child.

Every parenting magazine or article that I read has articles about
breast-feeding, and how, if you don't do it, you are bad. Why don't they
ever have articles about those women who tried and could not? I went to
the breast-feeding clinic every day for the first 3 weeks of my
daughter's life. It was the worst thing that I experienced. I took drugs
to try and get milk, and did all kinds of things.

I was miserable and so was my daughter. I chose to stop and formula feed
instead. Not for one minute do I regret my decision. My daughter is
exceptionally smart, talented and wonderful. She has hardly been sick a
day in her life. According to the people who are against formula, she
should be sick and dumb and all kinds of other bad things.

Those who cannot for any reason breast-feed should have the full support
of their doctors and all health care professionals. Stop acting like
bottle feeders are rotten. Most of the time, there is good reason. Don't
judge.

Old February 15th 04, 08:29 PM
Phoebe Roberts, EA

Lorraine wrote:
the part that really
stood out for me was the comment about formula being human milk and not
alien milk.

I think she's confusing "milk from humans" and "milk for humans." It's not like
you see the cow's milk in the grocery store labeled as "human milk."

Phoebe

Old February 16th 04, 01:37 AM
Kate

Lorraine wrote in message . ..
I ran across the letter below in the local newspaper. I thought you
might enjoy it. I've heard most of it before, but the part that really
stood out for me was the comment about formula being human milk and not
alien milk. At least I think that's what she's trying got say. That's a
new one.

I'm guessing that her letter in response to the article found at
http://cjonline.com/stories/020704/04p_rosen.shtml

Along with the letter, there is a link at the top of
http://cjonline.com/stories/021504/opi_letters.shtml to submit your own
letter to the editor which will take you to the email address of
. If I were even a little bit gifted in the letter
writing area, I would respond, but alas, I'm not.

Lorraine
-- former lurker, grandma to Madison weaned at 3.5 yrs.

Lorraine, the letterwriter that was published wasnt' particularly
gifted. You should give it a try. it might help. :-)

=====
Kate,
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/a...f-formula.html
Mom to Ursula (9!), Sage (6.5), Benno (3!!) "A successful person is
one
who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him
or her." David Brinkley, News Journalist
http://listserv.uts.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/parent-l
Old February 16th 04, 02:32 AM
Larissa

The author of the Letter to the Editor, missed the point of the article,
she is an example of what the article is about. Perhaps if she had been
given better advice she may have succeeded, but she at least attemped to
breastfeed in the beginning and did not automatically choose the bottle.
She knew of the benefits of bf.

Thanks for sharing.

Larissa