Logic, and some Spanking Advocates...

Old March 9th 07, 09:26 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking
0:-]

Default Logic, and some Spanking Advocates...

....apparent they are mutually exclusive.

http://thinkpoint.wordpress.com/2007...le-delinquent/
The primary concern of Proverbs is raising children to be wise instead
of foolish. Yet this does not happen easily. “Foolishness is bound up
in the heart of a child; the rod of discipline will remove it far from
him” (Proverbs 22:15). Words alone are rarely able to dislodge the
foolishness bound up in the heart of a child. There is a proper place
for non-abusive spanking. The absence of such reinforcement stands as
the greater threat to children and society.

In contrast with the suggested outcome of spanking, consider Myron
Bennet’s formula for raising a juvenile delinquent:

1. Begin with infancy to give the child everything he wants. In this
way, he’ll grow up to believe the world owes him a living.

2. When he picks up bad words – just laugh – he’ll think it’s cute.

3. Never give him spiritual training –wait until he’s 21 and let him
“decide for himself.”

4. Avoid the use of the word “wrong” –or he may develop a guilt
complex. This will condition him to believe later when he is arrested
for stealing a car that society is against him and he is being
persecuted.

5. Pick up everything he leaves around – books, shoes, and clothing.
Do everything for him so that he will be experienced in throwing
responsibility onto others.

6. Let him read any printed material he can get. Be careful that the
silverware and drinking glasses are sterilized, but let his mind feast
on garbage.

7. Quarrel frequently in the presence of your children and this way
they will not be too shocked when your home is broken up later.

8. Give your child all the spending money he wants, never let him earn
his own. Why should he have things as tough as you had them?

9. Satisfy his every craving for food, drink and comfort – see that
his every sensual desire is gratified – denial may lead to harmful
frustration.

10. Take his part against neighbors, teachers, and policemen. They are
all prejudiced against your child.

11. When he gets into trouble apologize by saying, “I could never do
anything with him.”

Finally, prepare for a life of grief – you’re definitely going to have
one. ...

Wow! Let's take a look at this list again, shall we?

The primary concern of Proverbs is raising children to be wise instead
of foolish. Yet this does not happen easily. “Foolishness is bound up
in the heart of a child; the rod of discipline will remove it far from
him” (Proverbs 22:15). Words alone are rarely able to dislodge the
foolishness bound up in the heart of a child. There is a proper place
for non-abusive spanking. The absence of such reinforcement stands as
the greater threat to children and society.

In contrast with the suggested outcome of spanking, consider Myron
Bennet’s formula for raising a juvenile delinquent:

[[[ Would this suggest outcome have anything to do with: ]]]

1. Begin with infancy to give the child everything he wants. In this
way, he’ll grow up to believe the world owes him a living.

.....spanking him when he expresses a need?

.....anything to do with non-spankers actually doing this?

.....and spankers NOT doing this?

2. When he picks up bad words – just laugh – he’ll think it’s cute.

.....I've not noticed non-spankers as a rule just laughing.

3. Never give him spiritual training –wait until he’s 21 and let him
“decide for himself.”

......Christians who don't spank hide their religion from their
children?

http://parentinginjesusfootsteps.org/
"A Resource for Gentle Christian Parents and Other Caring Adults"

4. Avoid the use of the word “wrong” –or he may develop a guilt
complex. This will condition him to believe later when he is arrested
for stealing a car that society is against him and he is being
persecuted.

...... I did not know that nonspanking parents also can't bring
themselves to use negative words to describe their children's behavior
to them.

5. Pick up everything he leaves around – books, shoes, and clothing.
Do everything for him so that he will be experienced in throwing
responsibility onto others.

.....non-spankers do that?

6. Let him read any printed material he can get. Be careful that the
silverware and drinking glasses are sterilized, but let his mind feast
on garbage.

.....so non-spankers give their kids pornography to read?

7. Quarrel frequently in the presence of your children and this way
they will not be too shocked when your home is broken up later.

......Odd, I would have sworn that non-spankers tended not be as
agressive in their relationships.

8. Give your child all the spending money he wants, never let him earn
his own. Why should he have things as tough as you had them?

......by not spanking a parents must also let require a child to learn
to make his or her own way? Or does one have to spank a child to make
him work?

9. Satisfy his every craving for food, drink and comfort – see that
his every sensual desire is gratified – denial may lead to harmful
frustration.

......apparently someone believes that non-spanked children tend to be
fat lazy slobs. Funny, when I am in gatherings with families that
don't spank, I seem some of the most fit, in body and mind, children
I've ever known.

10. Take his part against neighbors, teachers, and policemen. They are
all prejudiced against your child.

.....I didn't know non-spankers do that, did you?

11. When he gets into trouble apologize by saying, “I could never do
anything with him.”

.....well, I'm waiting for that, but the getting in trouble part
happens so much less with non-spanked children that I fear I may never
see such a case. All the times, few indeed, I've seen non-spanked
children in trouble, quite the opposite occurs...they are required to
take responsibility appropriate to their age, understanding, and the
facts.

Finally, prepare for a life of grief – you’re definitely going to have
one.

.....I'll be sure to let all my friends that don't spank know that
things are looking grim for them and I must call my grown children, in
their forties now, and ask how long their are going to continue faking
and fooling me into thinking they were wonderful to be with, and get
busy with their acting out misbehavior and grief given.

I may get to old to spank them pretty soon and boy, then will I be in
trouble.

0:]