Cats and pg (not about litter or toxoplasmosis)

Old February 17th 04, 10:20 PM
Coccinella

Default Cats and pg (not about litter or toxoplasmosis)

My 2 kitties in the past 2 ww have become so affectionate with me. I cannot
even shower without them being in the same room with me. They are very nice
and gentle (Main Coons) but quite independent. Now I cannot go anywhere
without them following me! I thought in the beginning that they wanted more
food but it seems they just want to be close to me. They even nap on my lap
(not always the most comfortable for me since the small one is 13 lb), but
they are very careful with my huge belly. They only gently touch it with one
paw. They are also very curious with all the baby stuff we are putting down
in the house but they behave wonderfully with it.
Anybody else experiencing similar things?

TIA

Love

Nicky
EDD 03-26-04. It's a girl!
Also proud mommy to Marco Polo and Beowulf (fur babies!)

Old February 17th 04, 10:44 PM
Nikki

Coccinella wrote:
My 2 kitties in the past 2 ww have become so affectionate with me. I
cannot even shower without them being in the same room with me. They
are very nice and gentle (Main Coons) but quite independent. Now I
cannot go anywhere without them following me! I thought in the
beginning that they wanted more food but it seems they just want to
be close to me. They even nap on my lap (not always the most
comfortable for me since the small one is 13 lb), but they are very
careful with my huge belly. They only gently touch it with one paw.
They are also very curious with all the baby stuff we are putting
down in the house but they behave wonderfully with it. Anybody else
experiencing similar things?

My cat was the same way. He was glued to me when I was pg with Hunter.
Weird. He loved laying on my belly. He kept his distance from the baby
though. Once he was out he wasn't nearly so drawn to him, lol.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old February 17th 04, 11:16 PM
VirginiaGirl

"Coccinella" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hi Nicky,

One of our two cats was just the same way. He was my salvation when I was
on bed rest -- always there, warm and cuddly and purring. Even now, he
likes the baby (15 m) and will actually seek her out in spite of the fact
that she delights in grabbing his fur and tail. Our other one, however, is
a lot more skittish. She didn't seem to notice I was pregnant, and then I
don't think we saw her for more than a few seconds at a time for the first
few months after the baby came home. Now she's adapted, although she
doesn't want much to do with the baby.

Old February 18th 04, 12:07 AM
melizabeth

My cat usually preferred my husband's lap, but since I've been pg she
ignores him and hunkers down on me. She won't move. I wonder what it is
that changes their behavior. Its pretty marked. Could it be our hormone
shifts and therefore our pheromones are more pungent to animals?

Yesterday I was taking a nap and woke up to feel the baby kicking...so
excited, until I realized when I was fully coherent, that it was my cat
kneading my belly.

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true

Old February 18th 04, 12:11 AM
Naomi Rivkis

My dog has been overwhelmingly devoted throughout this pregnancy --
always by my side when I'm in bed and usually on my foot when I'm at
the computer. I'm not sure if that's the pregnancy specifically or
just that she can tell when I'm not feeling good in general, though;
she's a caretaking sort of animal and usually hovers anxiously around
me when I'm not well.

Naomi
#1 EDD 3/06/04
Old February 18th 04, 12:22 AM
New York Jen

Oh yeah...one of my dogs LOVES me when I'm pregnant. When I was pregnant
with Laszlo she would curl up on my belly and he used to always kick her.
It was the cutest thing (she's a small black shih tzu). I've heard of cats
being the same way. My other dog wanted no part of any of it and pretty
much has the same attitude towards Laszlo now!

Old February 18th 04, 12:36 AM
Shena Delian O'Brien

My cats have not been any more devoted than usual, but I suspect they're
pretty devoted (spoiled!) anyway! The new kitten we saved from the snow
in early January is Not to be Denied! when he wants a cuddle though and
it's always from me. DH is so jealous because he'll pick up Spencer to
cuddle him and then Spencer will struggle loose and jump right up onto
my belly Poor DH. He feels so unloved LOL

Old February 18th 04, 01:14 AM
Jill

"Coccinella" wrote they behave wonderfully with
it.
Anybody else experiencing similar things?

TIA

Love

How sweet! I love cats in a big way. However, my cat is a MEAN sweetheart,
so it's not similar to what you are experiencing, lol. My cat is not a
normal cat. She loves me and my husband and that's it, no one else, ever.
She likes to be near me but she has not turned into a lap cat. She hisses at
baby stuff...she is terrified of tiny clothes and booties.

I worry about it, because I am going to have a time with her when the baby
gets here. I know I can make it work, but I will never ever be able to let
my guard down and will absolutely HAVE to keep the cat away from the baby at
all times.

Jill

Old February 18th 04, 04:32 AM
toypup

[...]

Our cat used to be a great cat. Then, we had DS and she peed on everything
he layed on. Now, we have DD and she's peeing on everything she lays on.
This cat does not like change, or maybe she doesn't like babies.

Some questions about cats..... Christine Pregnancy 9 January 13th 04 02:46 AM
Cat litterbox solution? (not really OT) Jill Pregnancy 16 December 12th 03 04:18 PM
pregnancy and Cats suez Pregnancy 1 November 28th 03 05:29 AM
question about cat litter...please help Sarah Pregnancy 28 August 11th 03 02:26 PM