Meds after C-section

Old June 14th 07, 02:49 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Irrational Number

Default Meds after C-section

Nan wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:45:30 -0700, "Jamie Clark"
wrote:

It's my understanding that in the US the law is 2 days for a vaginal
delivery and 5 for a c-section. The hospital has to allow you to stay that
long, although you can be discharged sooner if you want and are doing well.

When did this go into effect? I'd have LOVED longer stays after my
c-sections! 3 days is way too soon, imo.

This is my experience.

-- Anita --
Old June 14th 07, 02:51 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Irrational Number

Jamie Clark wrote:

In this particular instance, the pbm would like to breastfeed for as long as
possible before relinquishing the child, so it actually could be an issue.

I nursed within half hour of coming out
of the OR and nursed nearly constantly
the entire 5 days I was in the hospital.
Morphine, Percocet, Vicodin, Tylenol,
and Motrin are all compatible with
breastfeeding.

-- Anita --
Old June 14th 07, 03:40 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
et...

wrote:

It's my understanding that in the US the law is 2 days for a vaginal
delivery and 5 for a c-section. The hospital has to allow you to stay
that long, although you can be discharged sooner if you want and are
doing well.

When did this go into effect? I'd have LOVED longer stays after my
c-sections! 3 days is way too soon, imo.

This is my experience.

-- Anita --

Hey, I could be wrong. It's been known to happen. : )

I just thought I remembered it that way -- not from personal experience. I
thougth at one point a few years ago, they shortened the timeframes for
both, there was a bit of an outcry, and a few years later they lengthened
them. I could have gotten the new lengths wrong though.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old June 14th 07, 03:57 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sharalyns

On Jun 13, 2:08 pm, "Jamie Clark" wrote:
Thanks. The reason I ask is that an aquaintance is talking with a
propsective birthmother who will be having a c-section, and the pbm can't
sign the relinquishment papers until she has been off meds for 24 hours. So
she is trying to figure out about how long that might be. The average time
for a woman to stay in the hospital after c-section is 5 days, right? So it
seems like including the time spent in the hospital, the average time on
meds might be about a week? Barring unforseen circumstances, of course.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

I'm sure they are talking about narcotics only (we always tell post-
surgical patients that they shouldn't sign anything important or drive
until they've been off the meds for 24 hours). And really? 5 days?
Most of the status post c-sections are going home after 3 days now
unless they are still having trouble. Vaginal births are 24-48 hours,
and c-sections usually stay 72-84 hours. (I'm looking at switching to
the Mother and Baby Unit at my hospital--I'm so excited!) Based on my
(granted, limited) experience with friends and the few times I've
worked postpartum, some moms go home with meds, many don't.

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James

Old June 14th 07, 04:06 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Boliath

Jamie Clark wrote:
A quick question for all of you ladies who have had a c-section -- how long
were you on prescription medications after the surgery? Longest or
shortest?

I took the prescription meds (percocet) while I was in the hospital - 5
days - but stopped when I went home.

I think I took extra strength tylenol for about a week regularly and
then every few days for about another 2 or 3 weeks.
Old June 14th 07, 06:54 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Nan wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:45:30 -0700, "Jamie Clark"
wrote:

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..
The average time for a woman to stay in the hospital after c-section is 5
days, right
more like 3 days, at least it is in the UK, I've not seen anything that
points to it being any different in the US
Anne

It's my understanding that in the US the law is 2 days for a vaginal
delivery and 5 for a c-section. The hospital has to allow you to stay that
long, although you can be discharged sooner if you want and are doing well.

When did this go into effect? I'd have LOVED longer stays after my
c-sections! 3 days is way too soon, imo.

In 1996 Clinton signed a federal law (The Newborns' and
Mothers' Health Protection Act of 1996) that mandated that insurers
had to cover 48 hours after a vaginal birth and 96 hours after
a c-section. In 1997 California enacted a similar law that added
a requirement that insurers cover an early home or office visit
for baby and mother if they were discharged earlier than 48 or
96 hours. There are exemptions (Medicaid patients, uninsured,
self-insured, etc.).

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old June 14th 07, 07:23 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Boliath

Irrational Number wrote:
Jamie Clark wrote:

In this particular instance, the pbm would like to breastfeed for as
long as possible before relinquishing the child, so it actually could
be an issue.

I nursed within half hour of coming out
of the OR and nursed nearly constantly
the entire 5 days I was in the hospital.

Same here.

Morphine, Percocet, Vicodin, Tylenol,
and Motrin are all compatible with
breastfeeding.

Seems I missed out on the good stuff! I only got Percocet, made me
loopy, didn't like it.
Old June 14th 07, 07:24 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Boliath

Anne Rogers wrote:
The average time for a woman to stay in the hospital after c-section is 5
days, right

more like 3 days, at least it is in the UK, I've not seen anything that
points to it being any different in the US

5 days is the norm in my area - Boston.
Old June 16th 07, 07:39 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Except hysterectomies can be done laproscopically now, can't they? So that
may not be as helpful. Anyway, the responses I'm getting here have been
helpful, so keep em coming!

Sort of, it's called vaginal hysterectomy and may or may not have a
laparoscopic incision to assist that. A reasonable number of the
abdominal kind are still done though and when I googled, it was clear
which they were talking about. Even so, the painkillers were still a
relatively short amount of time, I guess it's like Anita said it does
change and suddenly you don't need it. It surprised me a bit, I had a
laparoscopy, nothing was done when they were inside and my tiny
incisions were still sore in the 2nd week, a c-section incision has got
to be worse than that! Maybe that says more about me healing though than
what it's generally like for a laparoscopy.

Anne

Looking for IVF MEDS! DESPERATE! INeedIVFMeds Pregnancy 0 April 20th 05 02:25 AM
Sick and need help with OTC meds CY Pregnancy 1 February 13th 05 06:13 AM
School Meds Mark ProbertJanuary 15, 2004 Kids Health 9 January 19th 04 07:45 PM
Meds question CY Breastfeeding 1 November 21st 03 12:19 AM
Cough meds? SuperEeyore Breastfeeding 8 October 11th 03 03:15 AM