Larger diapers (x-posted)

Old January 22nd 07, 03:28 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.mothers
CY

Default Larger diapers (x-posted)

I have to say though, that pull-ups (IME) tend to not be nearly as absorbant
and leak WAY more, especially at night. My DD (5) still needs protection at
night and we can't do pull-ups for that very reason. I have tried all
different kinds too, but ymmv

You can call it a diaper and use it exactly
like a diaper. So, if it fits, why not use it? It's probably
a bit more expensive, but then again, if there were bigger
diapers, they'd likely be more expensive too ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 22nd 07, 05:19 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.mothers
toypup

"CY" wrote in message
I have to say though, that pull-ups (IME) tend to not be nearly as
absorbant and leak WAY more, especially at night. My DD (5) still needs
protection at night and we can't do pull-ups for that very reason. I have
tried all different kinds too, but ymmv

I thought they were less absorbant unti DD's diapers started leaking and
upping the size didn't do it for her. We had to experiment through several
brands and types and found that the Huggies overnight pull-ups did the
trick. They don't sell those in every supermarket, though.

Old January 22nd 07, 05:21 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.mothers
Ericka Kammerer

CY wrote:
I have to say though, that pull-ups (IME) tend to not be nearly as absorbant
and leak WAY more, especially at night. My DD (5) still needs protection at
night and we can't do pull-ups for that very reason. I have tried all
different kinds too, but ymmv

We haven't really had issues, even with an older
child who was in pullups (GoodNites, ultimately) for quite
some time at night before he was finally able to be dry
all night.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old January 22nd 07, 06:06 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.mothers
CY

Oh we haven't tried those - will look out for them. Thanks for the tip

Old January 22nd 07, 12:56 PM posted to misc.kids,alt.mothers
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Although you think your child isn't ready for toilet training, you might
find that she surprises you. If you take a low-key approach, making it
fun and with no bad consequences for accidents, you might give it a
try. At this age I'd go for the bare-bottom approach, with a portble
potty available, and give it 5 days. As long as your child isn't
distressed by the process, then all you have to lose is a clean floor.
If she trains, the diapers become a non-issue. If she doesn't, then you
are in the same position that you're in now.

I remember being suprised at how quickly my kids trained; I did both
when they were 2 2/3 years old.

Pee training is easier for many kids. If you just get that in shape,
then pull-ups will be fine, even old-fashioned "training pants" (that
thick underwear).

From earlier discussions in this newsgroup, you should ask a local place
that deals with developmentally delayed children about where they get
diapers. Many such children don't train until they're much older, if
ever, and their cost considerations are real.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old January 22nd 07, 09:35 PM posted to misc.kids,alt.mothers
Anne Rogers

Although you think your child isn't ready for toilet training, you might
find that she surprises you. If you take a low-key approach, making it
fun and with no bad consequences for accidents, you might give it a
try. At this age I'd go for the bare-bottom approach, with a portble
potty available, and give it 5 days. As long as your child isn't
distressed by the process, then all you have to lose is a clean floor.
If she trains, the diapers become a non-issue. If she doesn't, then you
are in the same position that you're in now.

though you still have a night time issue, because night time dryness is not
likely to come quickly after day time dryness, having said that, our DS did
night train very quickly after day training, we kept the nappies on at
night, even though they were usually dry, simply because we thought it was
too soon to risk it and were concerned about an upset if he did have an
accident, but eventually, he asked not to wear it and did fine, iirc that
was about 2 and 8mths, but it was still 6mths after initial potty training
(child led, at the wrong time, we had a newborn and would rather have
waited!). It only seems to be children that potty train on the late side
that then go very fast out of nappies at night as well, it's not at all
unusual for kids to be in nappies overnight for 1 or even 2 years beyond day
time.

Anne

Old January 22nd 07, 09:39 PM posted to misc.kids,alt.mothers
Anne Rogers

I have to say though, that pull-ups (IME) tend to not be nearly as
absorbant and leak WAY more, especially at night. My DD (5) still needs
protection at night and we can't do pull-ups for that very reason. I have
tried all different kinds too, but ymmv

I don't know if you've researched it or are just going with the flow, but I
did read that once a child hits 6, if you get a device that makes a noise if
they wet the bed, that results are fast and work for a very high number of
children. I don't know if she's just turned 5, or almost 6, but keep it in
the back of your mind if it isn't there already! Apparently you can rent
them, I don't know where, but come back and ask on here, I think the book I
read it in had some pointers.

Cheers

Anne

Old January 23rd 07, 04:34 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.mothers
Beeblebrox

CY wrote:
I have to say though, that pull-ups (IME) tend to not be nearly as absorbant
and leak WAY more, especially at night. My DD (5) still needs protection at
night and we can't do pull-ups for that very reason. I have tried all
different kinds too, but ymmv

both of my kids are in pullups during the day. My son is bigger, so he
uses goodnights (even more expensive, but at least it's only 1 a day)
My daughter is smaller, she uses diapers at night, pullups during the day.
Old January 29th 07, 05:31 PM posted to misc.kids,alt.mothers
CY

She isn't quite 5 yet so I am not worried yet. She is a control freak so
it's all about that...

Larger diapers Nan General 15 January 23rd 07 02:14 AM
Cloth diapers, how many to start with? cjra Pregnancy 10 March 22nd 06 02:57 PM
Questions on cloth diapers Donna Metler Pregnancy 13 August 4th 04 09:30 PM
Getting enough diapers SPHLIPO Twins & Triplets 0 July 21st 04 04:35 AM
Wanted old disposable diapers for polymer research studies Absorbtek Pregnancy 0 July 3rd 04 08:47 PM