Holloween: The children of Atheism and Christians Share the same religious belief

Old October 23rd 06, 02:40 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.atheism,alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,free.christians,soc.culture.usa
Michael Gray

Default Holloween: The children of Atheism and Christians Share the same religious belief

On 22 Oct 2006 13:05:47 -0700, "Lieken" wrote:
- Refer: . com
ON Halloween night when confronted by a masked, costumed youth making
the requesting threat, "Trick or treat," do you think it cute, just
a harmless occasion for children to enjoy themselves? Do you consider

No.

Halloween to be a time to go to costume parties, bob for apples, and
carve a hollowed-out pumpkin into a fearsome face? Do you put stock in
stories about the return of spirits of the dead, of witches, and of
ghosts and goblins? Is this time of the year a serious occasion to you,
one when you visit the graves of loved ones and attend special
religious services?

No, no no...

People view the celebration of Halloween
differently. What does it mean to you?

Time to insert razor blades into fruit.

Halloween actually means Hallow Even or the Eve of All Hallows. In the

So? Check out the days of the week.

eighth century Pope Gregory III established November 1 as the date for
a feast to honor all the saints, it being called All Saints' Day.
According to The Catholic Encyclopedia, it is a feast of the highest
rank. Since all saints are considered hallowed people,

Not by me, they're not!

the eve of the
feast in their behalf came to be called Eve of All Hallows, or, for
short, Halloween.

In the United States October 31 is Halloween night, a time for fun,
boisterousness and playing pranks. It has been called the worst night
of the year for vandalism, when both young and old run wild. In
Latin-American countries November 2 is the day celebrated, but in a
much different way. November 2 is the day of the Roman Catholic
festival All Souls' Day, which dates from about the eleventh century.
This festival is based on the belief that the souls of the dead can be
aided in getting out of purgatory to reach heaven by the prayers and
alms-deeds of the faithful on earth. Therefore at this festival,
referred to as the Day of the Dead and occurring the day after All
Saints' Day, people visit the graves of loved ones and offer prayers
and alms in their behalf.

Anyone who prays is a brain-dead ****wit.
Old October 23rd 06, 02:43 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.atheism,alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,free.christians,soc.culture.usa
Michael Gray

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:40:25 -0500, "Flushing Express"
wrote:
- Refer:

"John Baker" wrote in message
.. .

:
And this relates to the subject line how, exactly?

It doesn't. Jabbers is illegally plagiarizing the Watchtower material
again. It's a way to get people to READ what they know is tossed in the
trash in real life. Here on Usenet people READ the WT propaganda before
realizing what it is.

Oh ****.
Another jabber's nym?
Old October 23rd 06, 03:07 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.atheism,alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,free.christians,soc.culture.usa
Flushing Express

"Michael Gray" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:40:25 -0500, "Flushing Express"
wrote:
- Refer:

"John Baker" wrote in message
. ..

:
And this relates to the subject line how, exactly?

It doesn't. Jabbers is illegally plagiarizing the Watchtower material
again. It's a way to get people to READ what they know is tossed in the
trash in real life. Here on Usenet people READ the WT propaganda before
realizing what it is.

Oh ****.
Another jabber's nym?

Yes. He changes his nym several times a day since being reported to the
police where he lives for threatening those old people in Tn. He's doing it
to make himself harder to track and dumpster dive. He also sneaks past your
killfiles by nym-shifting. The people on rec.ponds and alt.free.newsservers
had to killfile him by killing all crossposted messages that include these
groups. They got rid of Antonio.

Old October 23rd 06, 04:41 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.atheism,alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,free.christians,soc.culture.usa
Lucifer

Lieken wrote:
On Oct 22, 4:54 pm, "Jeff" wrote:
"Lieken" wrote in oglegroups.com...

While some people may celebrate All Saints Day, I don't see how kids
dressing up in costumes has anything to do with it. I believe that Halloween
is an important holiday in the Wicca religion, but that doesn't mean that
Wiccans are celebrating dead Catholic souls.

How about Christians today, how should they view Halloween? Christians
will be motivated by Scriptural principle and not by human reasoning
that may argue: "What harm can come from letting children attend a
costume party? Everyone else participates, and it is hard on the
children when they are different." It is not Scripturally wrong for
children to have a costume party or play games such as bobbing for
apples. However, doing so as a part of Halloween would be celebrating
that pagan religious feast. This would be compromising Christian
principles. One can be sure that Christ Jesus, who always stuck close
to what the Bible said, would heed the divine commands: "You must not
walk in the statutes of the nations." "Do not learn the way of the
nations at all." (Lev. 20:23; Jer. 10:2) Jesus was never influenced
by human reasoning into compromising on Scriptural commands! Therefore,
neither will a Christian today compromise, even if it means being
different and separate from the world.

Early Christians followed Jesus' steps closely. They heeded the
command: "Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. . . .
'Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves,' says
Jehovah, 'and quit touching the unclean thing.'" (2 Cor. 6:14,
17) Edward Gibbon in the book Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
(Vol. I, pages 396, 397) says that early Christians took no part in
"the games that the prince and people celebrated in honour of their
peculiar festivals . . . The Christian, on these interesting
occasions, was compelled to desert the persons who were the dearest to
him, rather than contract the guilt inherent to those impious
ceremonies . . . The dangerous temptations which on every side lurked
in ambush to surprise the unguarded believer assailed him with
redoubled violence on the days of solemn festivals."

The situation is the same now. On the day of pagan festivals such as
Halloween true Christians will want to be particularly on guard 'to
keep themselves without spot from the world.' Christian parents will
show real love for their children by explaining to them why loyal
servants of Jehovah do not participate in the Halloween celebration. If
as with the early Christians it 'compels them to part with old-world
friends,' assure them that they are making Jehovah's heart glad by
their uncompromising stand.-Jas. 1:27; Prov. 27:11.

If on Halloween night you are confronted with the requesting threat,
"Trick or treat," then what? Should you treat? Christians are not
selfish, yet there is a principle involved, and true Christians are
inflexible when it comes to Scriptural principles. The occasion could
be taken to explain this, and even invite the youngsters back on
another day with the assurance that then they will be given more
information as well as a treat.

Although Halloween poses as a Christian holiday, it is exposed as a
pagan feast. It has not borne the fruit of pure Christianity but is a
night when one fears for the safety of his property and possessions.
Christians are looking to live in a new world wherein "righteousness
is to dwell." They are endeavoring to live now as they hope to live
then, in that new world. Pagan feasts such as Halloween will not be
observed then; that means a Christian will not celebrate them
now.-2 Pet. 3:13.

So you won't celebrate the feast of Saturnalia either then?

--

Lucifer the Unsubtle, EAC Librarian of Dark Tomes of Excessive Evil and
General Purpose Igor

The Anti-Theist

"Don't worry, I won't bite.......hard"

Old October 23rd 06, 05:25 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.atheism,alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,free.christians,soc.culture.usa
nimue

Michael Gray wrote:
snip

Halloween actually means Hallow Even or the Eve of All Hallows. In
the

So? Check out the days of the week.

I ****ing LOVE you for that! Well done! Well done, indeed!

snip

--
nimue

"As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books
than I have read." Betty Bowers

English is our friend. We don't have to fight it.
Oprah

Old October 23rd 06, 05:32 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.atheism,alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,free.christians,soc.culture.usa
Tori M

There are no verses in the bible that says "Thou shalt not dress up as a
princess and ring a doorbell for presents and ask strangers for candy"

Trust me I have read the Bible.. not there.. Also nothing about bobbing for
apples.. plenty about practicing witchcraft... Focus On the Family sees
nothing wrong with Halloween that I have seen as long as it is harmless
dress up with trick or treating.

Tori

Old October 23rd 06, 05:35 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.atheism,alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,free.christians,soc.culture.usa
Tori M

My Great Grandmother died because of the no blood rule for JW after my great
grandfather wouldnt let her get a transfusion.. My grandmother last year
would have died without her numerous transfusions due to a blood disorder
that was eating her red blood cells.. not going to see me signing up for
them anytime soon.

Tori
"Flushing Express" wrote in message

"Frank Arthur" wrote in message

"Lieken" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Oct 22, 4:54 pm, "Jeff" wrote:
"Lieken" wrote in
oglegroups.com...

While some people may celebrate All Saints Day, I don't see how kids
dressing up in costumes has anything to do with it. I believe that
Halloween
is an important holiday in the Wicca religion, but that doesn't mean
that
Wiccans are celebrating dead Catholic souls.

How about Christians today, how should they view Halloween? Christians
will be motivated by Scriptural principle and not by human reasoning

And you are using "human reasoning" when you attempt to explain your
point of view.

It's actually Watchtower reasoning. The WTS is against all holidays.
They're paranoid and see devils and demons behind everything. Heaven
forbid the little children should have some fun. Even birthday parties are
considered pagan and wicked.

If you do not have human reasoning ability I feel sorry for you!

The WTS does all a JWs reasoning for him/her/them.

If you surrender your human reasoning for "Scripture", "Koranic Verse" or
other belief system
written and created by some human being then you become a slave.

They proudly call themselves slaves for the Watchtower Society....... go
figure!

Old October 23rd 06, 10:59 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article . com,
"Lieken" wrote:

ON Halloween night when confronted by a masked, costumed youth making
the requesting threat, "Trick or treat," do you think it cute, just
a harmless occasion for children to enjoy themselves? Do you consider
Halloween to be a time to go to costume parties, bob for apples, and
carve a hollowed-out pumpkin into a fearsome face?

It's all evil, I tell you. It's that strange American custom being imported
here by avaricious shopkeepers.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old October 23rd 06, 01:17 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Chookie
says...

In article . com,
"Lieken" wrote:

ON Halloween night when confronted by a masked, costumed youth making
the requesting threat, "Trick or treat," do you think it cute, just
a harmless occasion for children to enjoy themselves? Do you consider
Halloween to be a time to go to costume parties, bob for apples, and
carve a hollowed-out pumpkin into a fearsome face?

It's all evil, I tell you. It's that strange American custom being imported
here by avaricious shopkeepers.

Oh man.

Halloween used to be an October 31 festival, a rollicking fun one.
Jack-o-lanterns were carved and set out. The biggest preparation was in
costumes. NOW, we have houses decked out by September 15 in a wierd
orange-purple-black, with doo dads everywhere, orange and purple lights up just
as thick as the red and green ones will be come November. By time the actual
day comes around, I'm sick and tired of it. So, we gets the candy, put out the
jack-o-lantern and a skeleton, for one day, and that's that.

I won't even talk about Christmas, which has gotten obscene, but now we all have
to CONTINUE to live through the little red and white lights and heart doo dads
all over everyone's lawn come late January, then the pastelly stuff hanging
around everywhere for Easter and all that can last almost 'till May.

And the WORST thing is, all of these recently-inflated holidays now have HUGE
LIGHTED EIGHT FOOT BLOW UP LAWN BALLOONS which lay limp most of the time, and
they're the hokiest things since lawn flamingoes.

Banty (armed with jack-o-lantern and BB gun - well OK I just dream about the BB
gun :-)

Old October 23rd 06, 02:19 PM posted to misc.kids
sscreen

I see no harm in kids going trick-or-treating and dressing up in
costumes. I grew up in a very Christian family, but some of the family
seemed to go to extremes. I remember one year when one of my cousins
decided to through a Non-Halloween party, focusing instead on what
"Christians" should believe for Halloween. This actually made me more
scared that night than the usual Halloween festivities that we would do
because her kids started running around outside that night trying to
"call out" the devil. They thought they were doing the "right" thing
according tho their mother, but I remember thinking, "just who do they
think they're asking to show up??" "Just so they could tell him they
didn't "like" his Halloween parties????

I have a hard time with Christmas as a "religious" holiday as well. I
would much rather the day be celebrating by exchanging gift than to try
to celebrate it as a birthday, when no one really knows what day Christ
was born.

Christmas was started when Christianity was trying to "force" their
beliefs on the pagans. To keep them happy, they took over a few of
their holidays and "turned" them into a "Christian" holiday.

So, in my little family, Halloween will be a time for
trick-or-treating, and dressing in costumes, maybe a hayride or
something.

Thanksgiving will be a time for the family to get together and enjoy a
huge meal that you probably need to wear stretch pants for. :-)

Christmas will be a time to exchange gifts and talk about Santa Claus.
(Yes, I like the Santa Claus myth. I love the story of Saint Nicholas
going around his little town and giving presents out to the little
kids! Much better than celebrating with nativity scenes, etc. BTW, a
true Christian should be celebrating the death and resurrection Christ,
which is why he came here in the first place, to show his true self as
the Son of God, not the mortal, very human, aspect of being born.)

So, say what you will about what I think, but I'm not changing my mind
on this. Then again, I don't intend to try to change anyone else's
minds either. Everyone is going to believe what they want, no matter