Holloween: The children of Atheism and Christians Share the same religious belief

Old October 23rd 06, 02:34 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Default Holloween: The children of Atheism and Christians Share the same religious belief

Banty wrote in
:

I won't even talk about Christmas, which has gotten
obscene, but now we all have to CONTINUE to live through
the little red and white lights and heart doo dads all over
everyone's lawn come late January, then the pastelly stuff
hanging around everywhere for Easter and all that can last
almost 'till May.

maybe your area isn't as bad as mine, or your mind is
blocking the orange & yellow lights & giant blown air turkeys
for Thanksgiving, and the green & yellow lights & giant
leprauchauns for St. Patrick's Day, or the vast swathes of
red, white & blue all over everything from at least Memorial
Day to 4th of July.... aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

And the WORST thing is, all of these recently-inflated
holidays now have HUGE LIGHTED EIGHT FOOT BLOW UP LAWN
BALLOONS which lay limp most of the time, and they're the
hokiest things since lawn flamingoes.

watch out, someone will come up with inflatable flamingoes...

Banty (armed with jack-o-lantern and BB gun - well OK I
just dream about the BB gun :-)

i *have* a BB gun, but no one on my street is that hokey, or
(more likely) they can't afford that stuff.

i will admit to sprouting a graveyard in the week before
Halloween, & having a few skeletons & ghosts hanging around,
but Halloween *is* my holiday i decorate for. i *don't* start
putting up the stuff until a week before though & it all comes
down the day after (well, i do put some stuff up earlier if i
have to arrange doing the kid's Halloween party earlier so as
not to conflict with his friend's birthday parties, but mostly
that's indoor stuff, like the bat curtains in the dining room
& the ratty cheesecloth kitchen curtains, & the serving
dishes/tableclothes)
lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old October 23rd 06, 02:44 PM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines

Chookie wrote:
In article . com,
"Lieken" wrote:

ON Halloween night when confronted by a masked, costumed youth making
the requesting threat, "Trick or treat," do you think it cute, just
a harmless occasion for children to enjoy themselves? Do you consider
Halloween to be a time to go to costume parties, bob for apples, and
carve a hollowed-out pumpkin into a fearsome face?

It's all evil, I tell you. It's that strange American custom being imported
here by avaricious shopkeepers.

It's cultural imperialism of the worst kind, because this hideous
emphasis on All Hallows Eve is threatening the customs surrounding
Bonfire Night, when all good Englishmen and women "remember, remember,
the fifth of November...."

;-)
--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old October 23rd 06, 03:38 PM posted to misc.kids,alt.atheism,alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,free.christians,soc.culture.usa
Robibnikoff

"Jeff" wrote in message news:JTQ_g.13558
snip
I don't see how this has to do with atheists and Christians sharing the
same religious belief.

While some people may celebrate All Saints Day, I don't see how kids
dressing up in costumes has anything to do with it. I believe that
Halloween is an important holiday in the Wicca religion, but that doesn't
mean that Wiccans are celebrating dead Catholic souls.

Just like people who give gifts on Dec. 25 are not necessarily celebrating
the birth of Christ or go on Easter Egg hunts are not celebrating the
rebirth of Christ.

Exactly, when I get together when my in-laws, sis-in-laws and nieces and
nephews on Christmas Eve, we're certainly not celebrating Jesus' birthday.
We're celebrating family. Same thing the following morning when we open
gifts and my husband cooks a fantastic prime rib. No religion involved
whatsoever.
--
Robyn
Resident Witchypoo

Old October 23rd 06, 04:28 PM posted to misc.kids
Ruth Baltopoulos

Default Decorators Gone Wild (was Holloween...)

enigma wrote:

snip

maybe your area isn't as bad as mine, or your mind is
blocking the orange & yellow lights & giant blown air turkeys
for Thanksgiving, and the green & yellow lights & giant
leprauchauns for St. Patrick's Day, or the vast swathes of
red, white & blue all over everything from at least Memorial
Day to 4th of July.... aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

Ahhhhhh, indeed!! The extremes to which people are going
for any and every occasion! To each his own, and all that,
but not only am I disinclined, I simply can't see spending
money on overblown, never ending, gratuitous decorating
projects. Where do people store all this stuff?!?!

I have a few different seasonal flags that I hang if I
remember note to self, might be time to take down the
beach/lighthouse and put up the autumn leaves If there
is a pumpkin about in my garden, or perhaps a non-usable
bale of hay (at 6 or 7 dollars a pop, I won't waste what my
horses can eat) or some old corn stalks lying about, I might
put that out for Halloween. A wreath, a few greens and some
lights at Christmas are my largest outdoor effort.
--
Ruth B
-
Old October 23rd 06, 04:34 PM posted to misc.kids
Nan

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:28:29 GMT, Ruth Baltopoulos
wrote:

Ahhhhhh, indeed!! The extremes to which people are going
for any and every occasion! To each his own, and all that,
but not only am I disinclined, I simply can't see spending
money on overblown, never ending, gratuitous decorating
projects. Where do people store all this stuff?!?!

No kidding! I have enough trouble finding storage for my modest
amount of inside Christmas decorations!

Nan

Old October 23rd 06, 04:55 PM posted to misc.kids
Caledonia

enigma wrote:
Banty wrote in
:

I won't even talk about Christmas, which has gotten
obscene, but now we all have to CONTINUE to live through
the little red and white lights and heart doo dads all over
everyone's lawn come late January, then the pastelly stuff
hanging around everywhere for Easter and all that can last
almost 'till May.

maybe your area isn't as bad as mine, or your mind is
blocking the orange & yellow lights & giant blown air turkeys
for Thanksgiving, and the green & yellow lights & giant
leprauchauns for St. Patrick's Day, or the vast swathes of
red, white & blue all over everything from at least Memorial
Day to 4th of July.... aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

Hey! Those swathes are bunting! I put it up for Patriot's Day, take it
down, then put it up again for July 4th. (Although it does bug the
crap out of me to see some random import-version of what is acceptable
bunting -- little flags are *not* okay.) Bunting, in my book, is
A-okay. People have been hanging bunting above their doors (and on
porches) since before my mom was a kid....

And the WORST thing is, all of these recently-inflated
holidays now have HUGE LIGHTED EIGHT FOOT BLOW UP LAWN
BALLOONS which lay limp most of the time, and they're the
hokiest things since lawn flamingoes.

watch out, someone will come up with inflatable flamingoes...

Banty (armed with jack-o-lantern and BB gun - well OK I
just dream about the BB gun :-)

i *have* a BB gun, but no one on my street is that hokey, or
(more likely) they can't afford that stuff.

Here it seems like a crazy opposite extreme, where everyone has some
corn stalks that they've tied to their mailboxes. All Harvest, All The
Time.

True confessions, though, I do like it. Especially the 'mums, which set
off the trees nicely, and make up for the fact that everyone's annuals
have keeled over.

i will admit to sprouting a graveyard in the week before
Halloween, & having a few skeletons & ghosts hanging around,
but Halloween *is* my holiday i decorate for. i *don't* start
putting up the stuff until a week before though & it all comes
down the day after (well, i do put some stuff up earlier if i
have to arrange doing the kid's Halloween party earlier so as
not to conflict with his friend's birthday parties, but mostly
that's indoor stuff, like the bat curtains in the dining room
& the ratty cheesecloth kitchen curtains, & the serving
dishes/tableclothes)
lee

I confess to having gone nutso at a farmstand and purchased a bunch of
pumpkins (what could I do? I was prepared to shell out major money for
corn, but the corn was gone, and someone else had purchased all the
green tomatoes, I was carrying cash -- which never happens -- and the
pumpkins looked great...). I really really like pumpkins. Well, that
and the crazily-shaped gourds farmstands sell, the ones that look like
swans. Or the ones that look like they're suffering smallpox. Or the
zebra-styled ones. Or the half-green, half-orange ones. Or the obscene
ones. Or the ones....

Caledonia

Old October 23rd 06, 05:09 PM posted to misc.kids
Caledonia

Ruth Baltopoulos wrote:
enigma wrote:

snip

maybe your area isn't as bad as mine, or your mind is
blocking the orange & yellow lights & giant blown air turkeys
for Thanksgiving, and the green & yellow lights & giant
leprauchauns for St. Patrick's Day, or the vast swathes of
red, white & blue all over everything from at least Memorial
Day to 4th of July.... aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

Ahhhhhh, indeed!! The extremes to which people are going
for any and every occasion! To each his own, and all that,
but not only am I disinclined, I simply can't see spending
money on overblown, never ending, gratuitous decorating
projects. Where do people store all this stuff?!?!

Hmmm...all of our Halloween/Harvest decorations are stored in the
compost heap (they seem to decompose pretty well). Christmas wreaths
and trees are burned outside in the spring, along with other yard
waste....

Caledonia

Old October 23rd 06, 05:15 PM posted to misc.kids
Ruth Baltopoulos

Caledonia wrote:

Hmmm...all of our Halloween/Harvest decorations are stored in the
compost heap (they seem to decompose pretty well). Christmas wreaths
and trees are burned outside in the spring, along with other yard
waste....

I wasn't referring to harvest or greens, that would not be
kept from year to year, rather the multitudes of commercial
decorations, including the huge inflatables, etc...

Old October 23rd 06, 05:26 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"Caledonia" wrote in
oups.com:

Hmmm...all of our Halloween/Harvest decorations are stored
in the compost heap (they seem to decompose pretty well).
Christmas wreaths and trees are burned outside in the
spring, along with other yard waste....

what!? no New Year's Eve bonfire? that's our traditional day
of burning brush... although usually the tree is a year behind
because the llamas & goats aren't done eating it yet...

lee
Old October 23rd 06, 05:33 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"Caledonia" wrote in
ups.com:

I confess to having gone nutso at a farmstand and purchased
a bunch of pumpkins (what could I do? I was prepared to
shell out major money for corn, but the corn was gone, and
someone else had purchased all the green tomatoes, I was
carrying cash -- which never happens -- and the pumpkins
looked great...). I really really like pumpkins. Well, that
and the crazily-shaped gourds farmstands sell, the ones
that look like swans. Or the ones that look like they're
suffering smallpox. Or the zebra-styled ones. Or the
half-green, half-orange ones. Or the obscene ones. Or the
ones....

you can carve the gourds too, you know. or let them dry,
preferrably in someplace dry where you don't go often if you
have more than 2 or three. they kind of smell bad & look worse
while drying.

yes, dear, i *know* there's 5 types of fuzzy mold on that
gourd. just put it back on the table, it's fine, really.

lee who just realized Heidi is on the wrong side of the fence
again. oh well, she won't go far & there is brush that needs
cleaning up there...