A Parenting & kids forum. ParentingBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ParentingBanter.com forum » alt.support » Child Support
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Interesting Article on Custody



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 12th 07, 05:57 AM posted to alt.child-support
Werebat
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 114
Default Interesting Article on Custody

This is an old article from '93, and I'm afraid the ideas presented
didn't take. I do like this man's take on "Joint Legal Custody" though
-- truly a joke that will in time become a politically incorrect term as
soon as enough people figure out what it really means.

http://patriot.net/~crouch/flnc/nocus.html

- Ron ^*^

  #2  
Old May 14th 07, 03:51 AM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 92
Default Interesting Article on Custody

Werebat wrote:
This is an old article from '93, and I'm afraid the ideas presented
didn't take. I do like this man's take on "Joint Legal Custody" though
-- truly a joke that will in time become a politically incorrect term as
soon as enough people figure out what it really means.


politically correct and incorrect to me are two terms that are
overused. I look at politically correct as something a politician
mouths just to get elected, whatever side of the aisle he sits on.
"Defending America's Borders", "Traditional Family Values", any one of a
thousand conservative cliches can be just as politically correct if the
politician is just saying them with no concept or ideas behind them.
  #3  
Old May 14th 07, 11:52 AM posted to alt.child-support
Werebat
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 114
Default Interesting Article on Custody



John Meyer wrote:

Werebat wrote:

This is an old article from '93, and I'm afraid the ideas presented
didn't take. I do like this man's take on "Joint Legal Custody" though
-- truly a joke that will in time become a politically incorrect term as
soon as enough people figure out what it really means.



politically correct and incorrect to me are two terms that are
overused. I look at politically correct as something a politician
mouths just to get elected, whatever side of the aisle he sits on.
"Defending America's Borders", "Traditional Family Values", any one of a
thousand conservative cliches can be just as politically correct if the
politician is just saying them with no concept or ideas behind them.


True enough, but "politically incorrect" almost always means something
that a public figure WON'T say if he wants to avoid scandalous ridicule
or outrage. Right now "joint legal custody" is used partly to mollify
the masses when fathers demand joint custody and might begin getting
public opinion on their side. It's nothing more than a smokescreen that
some official can throw up around the issue, smiling and saying, "but
this state ALREADY has joint legal custody as the norm..."

The author is saying that once enough people catch on to the
meaninglessness of the term, those same officials won't use it because
it will earmark them as equivocating weasels. And rightly so.

- Ron ^*^

  #4  
Old May 14th 07, 01:19 PM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 92
Default Interesting Article on Custody

Werebat wrote:


John Meyer wrote:

Werebat wrote:

This is an old article from '93, and I'm afraid the ideas presented
didn't take. I do like this man's take on "Joint Legal Custody" though
-- truly a joke that will in time become a politically incorrect term as
soon as enough people figure out what it really means.



politically correct and incorrect to me are two terms that are
overused. I look at politically correct as something a politician
mouths just to get elected, whatever side of the aisle he sits on.
"Defending America's Borders", "Traditional Family Values", any one of a
thousand conservative cliches can be just as politically correct if the
politician is just saying them with no concept or ideas behind them.


True enough, but "politically incorrect" almost always means something
that a public figure WON'T say if he wants to avoid scandalous ridicule
or outrage. Right now "joint legal custody" is used partly to mollify
the masses when fathers demand joint custody and might begin getting
public opinion on their side. It's nothing more than a smokescreen that
some official can throw up around the issue, smiling and saying, "but
this state ALREADY has joint legal custody as the norm..."



Easy response there. "Look, I'm not applying to be the kid's LAWYER; I
want to be the kid's PARENT. Comprehend?"
  #5  
Old May 14th 07, 08:12 PM posted to alt.child-support
Werebat
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 114
Default Interesting Article on Custody



John Meyer wrote:

Werebat wrote:


John Meyer wrote:


Werebat wrote:


This is an old article from '93, and I'm afraid the ideas presented
didn't take. I do like this man's take on "Joint Legal Custody" though
-- truly a joke that will in time become a politically incorrect term as
soon as enough people figure out what it really means.



politically correct and incorrect to me are two terms that are
overused. I look at politically correct as something a politician
mouths just to get elected, whatever side of the aisle he sits on.
"Defending America's Borders", "Traditional Family Values", any one of a
thousand conservative cliches can be just as politically correct if the
politician is just saying them with no concept or ideas behind them.


True enough, but "politically incorrect" almost always means something
that a public figure WON'T say if he wants to avoid scandalous ridicule
or outrage. Right now "joint legal custody" is used partly to mollify
the masses when fathers demand joint custody and might begin getting
public opinion on their side. It's nothing more than a smokescreen that
some official can throw up around the issue, smiling and saying, "but
this state ALREADY has joint legal custody as the norm..."




Easy response there. "Look, I'm not applying to be the kid's LAWYER; I
want to be the kid's PARENT. Comprehend?"


Sure, if you know what Joint Legal really means. Many men don't and
don't figure out until much later that they've been misled and
essentially "had" by their ex-wives and the system.

Usually, though, it's just being used to mollify the public, with a show
of "but we ALREADY offer men joint (omitting the word "legal") custody
whenever they want it"... And the man who replies as you say above
isn't going to get much sympathy from the public when the court makes a
show of how they offered him joint (omitting the word "legal") custody
but he refused it.

It's a sort of shell game, verbal origami, whatever you want to call it
-- but it's a weasel word phrase by any definition.

- Ron ^*^

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting MA Custody Case Werebat Child Support 2 September 20th 06 05:58 PM
interesting article Anne Rogers Pregnancy 5 July 22nd 06 03:05 PM
Article that might be interesting toto General 39 March 9th 05 06:31 PM
Interesting article Mogget Breastfeeding 0 November 19th 03 10:30 PM
Interesting article Chookie Breastfeeding 0 July 17th 03 05:27 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 ParentingBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.