Length of Christmas Break

Old December 30th 05, 09:03 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated

Default Length of Christmas Break

The schools here this year have a *very* short break. DD and
DS were in school all day on Friday the 23rd (!!) and they
return on Wednesday the 3rd.

I think this is just the right size (we don't travel for
the holidays). Next year they go back to 2+ full weeks.

I'm just curious what others have for breaks.

Happy new Year!

Scott, DD 12 and DS 9.9

Old December 30th 05, 10:38 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated

In article ,
Scott wrote:

The schools here this year have a *very* short break. DD and
DS were in school all day on Friday the 23rd (!!) and they
return on Wednesday the 3rd.

I think this is just the right size (we don't travel for
the holidays). Next year they go back to 2+ full weeks.

I'm just curious what others have for breaks.

Happy new Year!

Scott, DD 12 and DS 9.9

Well, the college my kids have been in have over a month break. I think
their last finals were around the 18th, and they don't go back until
close to the first of February. (There is a three and a half week
"intersession", where they could take an intensive course -- 3 credits
in 3-1/2 weeks -- but none of mine are doing that.)

But the college my son is transferring to in Iowa got out around the
20th, and starts up again on the 9th.

I always thought 2 weeks was just about right for the winter break when
my kids were in school, but liked it best when very little of it was
BEFORE Christmas: partly because the time when they were in school was
important shopping and holiday prep time for me, partly because they'd
get cranky waiting for Christmas, whereas AFTER Christmas they'd have
their new toys and, in general, things were more relaxed.

On the other hand, I absolutely HATED the February break! I'd rather
they got out sooner.

Old December 31st 05, 01:36 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids

"Scott" wrote in message

The schools here this year have a *very* short break. DD and
DS were in school all day on Friday the 23rd (!!) and they
return on Wednesday the 3rd.

That's short? That's sounds about standard for us. Our break this year has
been: Thursday, December 22, through Monday, January 2, 2006. Mid-winter
break is Monday, February 20 through Friday, February 24, 2006.

We've used mid-winter break for travelling now a couple of times, and it's
worked out well. This year we're going to New York City. Prices aren't bad,
no one is travelling for family reasons like at Xmas, and unless you're
headed to the tropics, it certainly isn't that crowded.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old December 31st 05, 01:36 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated

On 2005-12-30, Scott wrote:

The schools here this year have a *very* short break. DD and
DS were in school all day on Friday the 23rd (!!) and they
return on Wednesday the 3rd.

I think this is just the right size (we don't travel for
the holidays). Next year they go back to 2+ full weeks.

I'm just curious what others have for breaks.

Our public schools got 2 weeks off (last day Dec 23, first day Jan 9).
The private school my son attends got an extra week off in December.
Another district in our county has off Dec22-Jan16---they usually get
a long winter break because of how many of their students go to Mexico
for the holidays.

Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
(Senior member, IEEE) (Board of Directors, ISCB)
Affiliations for identification only.

Old December 31st 05, 02:35 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated

Scott wrote:

The schools here this year have a *very* short break. DD and
DS were in school all day on Friday the 23rd (!!) and they
return on Wednesday the 3rd.

I think this is just the right size (we don't travel for
the holidays). Next year they go back to 2+ full weeks.

I'm just curious what others have for breaks.

Happy new Year!

Scott, DD 12 and DS 9.9

We got out on the 22nd and go back on the 3rd. That's seven weekdays -
we used to get 10. Since the move to "take back the summer" our holiday
breaks have gotten shorter.

Lesley

Old December 31st 05, 03:10 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated

"Scott" wrote in message

The schools here this year have a *very* short break. DD and
DS were in school all day on Friday the 23rd (!!) and they
return on Wednesday the 3rd.

I think this is just the right size (we don't travel for
the holidays). Next year they go back to 2+ full weeks.

My kids got out forever ago (Dec 16th). Grammar school goes back the 3rd,
high school the 4th. And they both get a 4 day weekend for MLK, and a week
in Feb and April.

Old December 31st 05, 06:01 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
The schools here this year have a *very* short break. DD and
DS were in school all day on Friday the 23rd (!!) and they
return on Wednesday the 3rd.

Ugh, I only wish my kids would have stayed in school until the 23rd. As it
was, they went until the 21st and really there is no reason whatsoever that
they need all that time off.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 31st 05, 11:19 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated

My kids' last day at school was Tuesday the 20th Dec, and they go back on
Wednesday 4th: exactly two weeks.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old December 31st 05, 11:45 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:03:03 EST, Scott
wrote:

The schools here this year have a *very* short break. DD and
DS were in school all day on Friday the 23rd (!!) and they
return on Wednesday the 3rd.

I think this is just the right size (we don't travel for
the holidays). Next year they go back to 2+ full weeks.

I'm just curious what others have for breaks.

The schools around here went until Friday 23rd and start up again on
Monday 9th. The parents around here mostly appreciate having more
post-Christmas time and less child-underfoot-during-preparations time,
and one pointed out to me the possibility of going to Disney World
during non-prime time in January.

The post-secondary institutions where we have students both had
December exams, and they start classes again on Tuesday 3rd and
Wednesday 4th, so our nest is going to be empty again soon. A few
days before the school vacation started, their former high school had
"Returned Grads Day", and invited the recent grads back to mingle with
grade 12s and talk about their current studies and lives. I thought
that might also be an attempt to keep them out of the school the rest
of the week where they could be a distraction.

The institution where I work doesn't start classes until the 9th, so I
still have some time to get organized.

Happy New Year, all!

Louise

Old January 1st 06, 01:11 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated

In ,
Scott wrote:

*
*The schools here this year have a *very* short break. DD and
*DS were in school all day on Friday the 23rd (!!) and they
*return on Wednesday the 3rd.

Well, my son's break was way, way too long IMO with their last day of
school 12/16 and their return to school on 1/2/06. He goes to a private
K-12 school with no religious affiliation.

My daughter's school (a Jewish preschool) had their last day on 12/23 and
they also return on 1/2. Frankly, I do not feel that this is too short a
break. I feel it is the perfect length!

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth