Family Calendar management

Old April 6th 07, 02:26 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Default Family Calendar management

toypup wrote:

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 14:33:48 EDT, Chookie wrote:

In article . com,
"Claire" wrote:

How are you tracking this sort of thing these days? A big piece of
paper in the kitchen? Electronically? Mom's head?

MY computer calendar (which synchs with my Palm) is THE CALENDAR. If it isn't
in THE CALENDAR, it isn't happening. DH does of course have a diary for work,
but my diary tracks all engagements that impinge on family life (eg, his
evening meetings).

LOL. My Palm is my brain. When they break, I am lost.

My sister keeps losing her palm pilot. I keep some phone numbers in
my cell phone, and for the rest I have an address book. ATM, we
write Drs appointments on the calendar that is on the wall - the one I
make up every year which has everyone's birthdays and anniversaries on
it, and that's all the keeping track that we need to do.

After the kids had left home I had a small yearly calendar (about
3.5x2") and I wrote my office days and field visits down in it, and
later used that to make out daysheets (we had to do day sheets, and
weeklies which accounted for every minute of time). I had a separate
mileage book of about the same size for filling out the expense
account. DH did his own thing.

When I was teaching, I had a big planning book, but that was for
lesson planning.

Otherwise, I wasn't working and we all did the same thing at about the
same time and I could keep that in my head.

And I do keep the calendars - especially the ones where all the births
and anniversaries are because among other things they have photographs
of everyone at various stages in life. But I even keep my little work
booklets because after awhile things tend to merge into each other.
When did I have the auto accident? When was the last time I went to
the dermatologist?

Old April 6th 07, 02:26 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
annie

On Apr 4, 3:24 pm, "Claire" wrote:
I was wondering how people manage family calendars. I can put things
on my husband's home calendar with my work calendar, but his home and
work calendars are separate. The girls maintain paper calendars to
track their own lessons and homework.

Lately, what seems to be working for us is to have an excel
spreadsheet up on google's spreadsheet sharing system, accessible by
all family members. The spreadsheet is a monthly calendar. In it are
things like my business trips, my husband's professional classes, the
kids' lessons and rehearsals, etc. It means I have to re-enter
everything from Outlook, but that's the way that goes.

How are you tracking this sort of thing these days? A big piece of
paper in the kitchen? Electronically? Mom's head?

We use a regular size calendar hanging in the kitchen and it seems to
work just fine. Anything more sophisticated seems like more worth
than it's worth.

We also have the rule that if it isn't on the calendar, don't expect
anyone else to plan around it, unless it's a known recurring event.
Many recurring events, like after school clubs, are only put on the
calendar for the first month or so until they are just integrated into
our routine. I usually only put the event and the time. Any other
details are usually left on the original literature (school
newsletter, wedding announcement, etc) and those items are kept in a
folder in a drawer underneath. Some days, the squares get a little
full, but I use that as a sign that we're over scheduled and we often
have to skip something. I do write the conflicting activities on the
calendar though, in case the higher priority activity gets cancelled
for some reason.

I have a good memory for dates, especially once I've written it down
once, so when we have a family activity that I need to leave work for,
it's easy for me to remember to also add it to my work calendar. The
only work activities that need to be on the family calendar are when I
need to travel out of town, which is only 2-3 times a year.

Annie

Old April 6th 07, 02:28 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
Cathy Kearns

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article . com,
"Claire" wrote:

How are you tracking this sort of thing these days? A big piece of
paper in the kitchen? Electronically? Mom's head?

MY computer calendar (which synchs with my Palm) is THE CALENDAR. If it
isn't
in THE CALENDAR, it isn't happening. DH does of course have a diary for
work,
but my diary tracks all engagements that impinge on family life (eg, his
evening meetings).

That's exactly how we do it. Down to Palm Zire that came free with a set of
tires. The tires are long gone, the Zire is still running like a champ. We
sync to the free Yahoo Calendar. And if it's not on there, it's not
happening.

Cathy

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Parenthood is like the modern stone washing process for denim jeans. You
may
Kerry Cue

Old April 6th 07, 01:37 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
Marie

"Sue" wrote in message
news:t7Odnb_ECMEOR4nbnZ2dnUVZ_oernZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
One big calendar on the fridge is what we do. Works for us. I update it
every month and I can add or take away things if needed.

Yep, the calendar on the fridge. Ours is a big white-board and each week is
a separate strip. There's 5 strips altogether. When the top week is over, I
erase it and stick it on the bottom and push the rest of them up. I love it!
It also has Saturday AND Sunday on the end instead of Sunday at the
beginning. I do have my own calendar, which is a notebook(paper) style, but
the whole family uses the fridge calendar.
Marie

Old April 7th 07, 02:40 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
Zipadee

On Apr 6, 8:37 am, "Marie" wrote:
Yep, the calendar on the fridge. Ours is a big white-board and each week is
a separate strip. There's 5 strips altogether. When the top week is over, I
erase it and stick it on the bottom and push the rest of them up. I love it!
It also has Saturday AND Sunday on the end instead of Sunday at the
beginning. I do have my own calendar, which is a notebook(paper) style, but
the whole family uses the fridge calendar.
Marie

Another calendar on the fridge user here. For about 5 years I've been
using something called Mom's Calendar - you can see it he
http://www.amazon.com/Moms-Family-Ca.../dp/0761140492

It's in a table form with a column for each family member and a row
for each day of the month. Plenty of room to write things in.

For my own things and so I can carry it around, I have a week-at-a-
glance
book. I duplicate some things between the 2 calendars. And my son,
a high school junior, has gotten busy enough that he recently asked
for a week-at-a-glance book of his own. I haven't wanted to use
computer
calendars or a PDA.

-- Zip

Old April 7th 07, 02:41 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Kevin Karplus

We do a paper month-by-month calendar hanging next to the fridge.
I also have a little (2.7" x 4") pocket calendar for my own use for
work appointments. I put my regular weekly meetings up on a web page
for my lab group, but otherwise avoid electronic calendars like the
plague. "Corporate" calendars that allow some random staff person to
schedule your time are particularly pernicious---I've made sure that I
do NOT get signed up for any of those.

Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
(Senior member, IEEE) (Board of Directors & Chair of Education Committee, ISCB)
Affiliations for identification only.

Old April 8th 07, 12:58 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_3_]

When did I have the auto accident?

never?

if I start having to record that I'll start having to worry, any kind of
auto accident should be a significant enough and rare enough event that the
date stands out.

Anne

Old April 8th 07, 02:13 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Anne Rogers" wrote:

When did I have the auto accident?

never?

if I start having to record that I'll start having to worry, any kind of
auto accident should be a significant enough and rare enough event that the
date stands out.

Well it did stand out (I broke 4 ribs and the car was totaled by a
driver with no insurance or license who ran a red light), but when
asked, I can't remember the exact year.

Most of the time, I can date stuff after counting forwards and
backwards by the births (or in one case the death) or graduations or
marriages of my children and grandchildren and by where we lived at
the time. But the auto accident wasn't tied to any of those things.

Old April 8th 07, 02:14 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:
When did I have the auto accident?

never?

if I start having to record that I'll start having to worry, any kind of
auto accident should be a significant enough and rare enough event that the
date stands out.

If you're like me, just because the event stands out in
your mind doesn't mean that you also remember the date it
happened ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old April 8th 07, 08:42 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated,misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Anne Rogers wrote:
When did I have the auto accident?

never?

if I start having to record that I'll start having to worry, any kind of
auto accident should be a significant enough and rare enough event that the
date stands out.

If you're like me, just because the event stands out in
your mind doesn't mean that you also remember the date it
happened ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Right - when the doctor asks me the dates when I was in the hospital
etc., I can remember operations and childbirths and dh's heart attack
but not the dates of all my ER visits..

Although when I was coaching I used to have a problem with the
birthdates of the children on the swim team. Sometimes the moms with
multiple kids (over 2) didn't know. (The kids always knew of course.)
When I had the fourth one, I started to have that trouble too - I was
unsure of his actual birthdate for quite a long time. I could
remember the year and the month, but had a problem with the day. He's
36, and I think I have it down now.

But I never had a problem with figuring out who was doing what when.
By the time I was working, at least one child was driving, and mostly
they took care of it themselves. And before that we all mostly did
the same thing at the same time, with the little ones tagging along
with the bigger ones. Of course it helped that we did absolutely NO
team sports. NONE.

My dd#2 who has two children in two different levels of multiple team
sports and lessons and is an airline pilot so she doesn't work a
standard 9-5 schedule does use a kitchen calendar.