ADHD Treatment Improves Teens' Grades, Confidence

Old March 17th 05, 02:41 PM
Mark Probert

Default ADHD Treatment Improves Teens' Grades, Confidence

ADHD Treatment Improves Teens' Grades, Confidence

THURSDAY, March 17 (HealthDay News) -- Treating teens diagnosed with
attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) boosts their grades,
provides higher self-esteem and improves family relationships, according to
the results of a new U.S. survey conducted for the National Mental Health
Association (NMHA).

The online survey -- which included 268 parents of 14-to-18-year-olds with
ADHD and another 265 teens diagnosed with the disorder -- was funded by
McNeil Consumer & Specialty Pharmaceuticals. The parents and teens were
recruited independently and were not matched pairs from the same families.

Sixty-six percent of the parents said their teens were currently receiving
treatment for ADHD, while 61 percent of the teens in the survey said they
were currently receiving treatment, which included medication, counseling
and/or behavior therapy, and school services.

According to the survey, 56 percent of the teens said their school grades
improved after they began receiving treatment. Both teens and the parents of
the teens with ADHD also reported seeing improvements in self-esteem, social
relationships and enhanced participation in extracurricular activities.

"ADHD amplifies the issues that all teens grapple with, such as heavy
demands at school, more complicated social situations, and a growing desire
for independence," Michael Faenza, president and CEO of the nonprofit NMHA,
said in a prepared statement.

"Therefore, it is critical that they receive the support and treatment
needed to succeed during these critical years," Faenza said.

"Research shows that as many as 80 percent of children with ADHD exhibit
persistent symptoms during adolescence, and 60 percent go on to display
symptoms during adulthood," Dr. David Goodman, an assistant professor of
psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Johns Hopkins University, said in a
prepared statement.

"Left untreated, many teenagers with ADHD experience academic impairment,
driving-related incidents, and are at higher risk of substance abuse,
encounters with law-enforcement, and consequent negative impact within the
family," Goodman said.

More information:

The American Academy of Pediatrics has more about ADHD treatment

http://www.medem.com/MedLB/article_d...C&sub_ca t=21

Old March 17th 05, 07:10 PM
Mark Probert

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Mark Probert" Mark wrote in message
ADHD Treatment Improves Teens' Grades, Confidence

THURSDAY, March 17 (HealthDay News) -- Treating teens diagnosed with
attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) boosts their grades,
provides higher self-esteem and improves family relationships, according
the results of a new U.S. survey conducted for the National Mental

Health
Association (NMHA).

The online survey -- which included 268 parents of 14-to-18-year-olds

with
ADHD and another 265 teens diagnosed with the disorder -- was funded by
McNeil Consumer & Specialty Pharmaceuticals. The parents and teens were
recruited independently and were not matched pairs from the same

families.

This was an online survery. Online surveys can have major problems with
bias. It could be that the people who felt that their ADHD symptoms were
improved by medications were more likely to respond to the survery. There
are steps that can be taken to reduce this bias, but, without seeing the
actual results in a peer-reviewed journal, we don't know what happened.

The pharmaceutical company that sponsored the survery makes Concerta, an
ADHD drug.

While I have no question that medication and other treatment (e.g.,
counseling) helps some people with ADHD greatly, I question the validity

of
this study.

I hope more details will be available.

Your analysis is right on. I would not quote this as definitive, but it is
suggestive that there are those kids that medications do help.

Old March 17th 05, 11:54 PM
LadyLollipop

[...]

Diplomas say, degree in drugs. i.e. stimulants. (cheating is OK

And steroids come to the aid of helping athletes obtain winning at all
costs.(cheating is OK

The good old fashion way of doing it the hard way, on your own is out.

Sad is that.

Jan

Old March 18th 05, 12:11 AM
Jeff

"LadyLollipop" wrote in message

[...]

You're comparing apples and oranges. Anabolic steriods and dangerous
compounds without medical benefit when taken to improve strength.

On the other hand, treatment for ADHD, which includes behavioral therapy,
counseling and medication, actually helps the patients. It enables the
patient to concentrate.

ADHD medication is not cheating. I levels the playing field and enables
children to succeed.

The good old fashion way of doing it the hard way, on your own is out.

On the contrary. ADHD meds actually help the person do it on his or her own.
It enables them to concentrate.

Should we stop giving kids vaccines? I mean vaccines help kids who can't
tough it out on their own and defeat the bacteria or viruses on thier own.

Should we stop giving kids with serious bacterial infections antibiotics? I
mean, if they can't tough it on their own....

Should we stop givingg kids with leukemia chemotherapy? I mean if they can't
tough it out on their ....

While we are at it, we should stop teaching kids to read. I mean, if they
can't figure it out on their own.

And we should stop giving kids rides in cars, buses and trains. I mean, if
they can't get there the old fashion way, walking, why should we help them?

Jeff

Sad is that.

Jan

Old March 18th 05, 12:41 AM
Mindblaze

ADHD medication is not cheating. I levels the playing field and enables

children to succeed.
The good old fashion way of doing it the hard way, on your own is

out.

I agree that it levels the playing field. But it can also be used as a
crutch for some. My question is this - what percentage of children in
the entire population would benefit from stimulent drugs (better
ability to focus, more alert)? Would most, or 'some', or just those
correctly diagnosed with ADD? I know adderall is abused in colleges.
Are they getting high off it, or do these college kids find it helpful
to study? Probably some of both. But for those who find it helpful to
study, do they have ADD?

I'm sure most of you are familiar with the episode of the Simpsons when
Bart is put on a fictious 'new ADD medication' called Focusin. The
person gave it to him and Marge stating "It's the best treatment for
ADD on the market. The only thing proven to be more effective for
inceasing attention is daily exercise".
Such a great show.

Old March 18th 05, 01:01 AM
kate

LadyLollipop wrote:
[...]

even with meds life is pretty difficult; how hard does it have to be?
why not take prosthetics away from amputees?
if a person is missing, say, a leg, and he/she wants to run a 10k,
he/she should have to hop, right? just try harder....

kate

Old March 18th 05, 04:21 AM
LadyLollipop

"Mindblaze" wrote in message
oups.com...
ADHD medication is not cheating.

Get updated as to the abuse.

See my other post. Problem is, it has the blessing of adults as they also
have very little selfdiscipline.

I levels the playing field and enables

children to succeed.
The good old fashion way of doing it the hard way, on your own is

out.

I agree that it levels the playing field. But it can also be used as a
crutch for some. My question is this - what percentage of children in
the entire population would benefit from stimulent drugs (better
ability to focus, more alert)? Would most, or 'some', or just those
correctly diagnosed with ADD? I know adderall

Get up dated. R I T A L I N.

Old March 18th 05, 04:24 AM
Jeff

"LadyLollipop" wrote in message
(...)

You're comparing apples and oranges.

NO, I,'m not. College students are using Ritalin to cram for tests. Same
principle.Reach for a drug is the modern thing.

Anabolic steriods and dangerous

And so are abused *unprescribed* stimulants.

I was talking about medicaton prescribed for ADHD.

Using them otherwise is dangerous.

compounds without medical benefit when taken to improve strength.

On the other hand, treatment for ADHD, which includes behavioral therapy,
counseling and medication, actually helps the patients. It enables the
patient to concentrate.

ADHD medication is not cheating. I levels the playing field and enables
children to succeed.

Oh knock it off.

We both seem to be against using ADHD meds without a prescription.

Jeff

(...)