Three Reasons Not to Believe in,an Autism Epidemic

Old September 1st 06, 10:59 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
Mark Probert

Default Three Reasons Not to Believe in,an Autism Epidemic

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/...m_epidemic.pdf

ABSTRACT—According to some lay groups, the nation is
experiencing an autism epidemic—a rapid escalation in
the prevalence of autism for unknown reasons. However,
no sound scientific evidence indicates that the increasing
number of diagnosed cases of autism arises from anything
other than purposely broadened diagnostic criteria, coupled
with deliberately greater public awareness and intentionally
improved case finding. Why is the public perception so disconnected from
the scientific evidence?

In this article we review three primary sources of misunderstanding:
lack of awareness about the changing diagnostic criteria, uncritical
acceptance of a conclusion illogically drawn in a California-based
study, and inattention to a crucial feature of the ‘‘child count’’ data
reported annually by the U.S. Department of Education.

[...]

In this article we have detailed three reasons why some laypersons
mistakenly believe that there is an autism epidemic.

They are unaware of the purposeful broadening of diagnostic
criteria, coupled with deliberately greater public awareness;
they accept the unwarranted conclusions of the M.I.N.D. Institute
study; and they fail to realize that autism was not even an
IDEA reporting category until the early 1990s and incremental
increases will most likely continue until the schools are identifying
and serving the number of children identified in epidemiological
studies. Apart from a desire to be aligned with
scientific reasoning, there are other reasons not to believe in an
autism epidemic.

Epidemics solicit causes; false epidemics solicit false causes.
Google autism and epidemic to witness the range of suspected
causes of the mythical autism epidemic. Epidemics also connote
danger. What message do we send autistic children and
adults when we call their increasing number an epidemic? A
pandemic? A scourge? Realizing that the increasing prevalence
rates are most likely due to noncatastrophic mechanisms, such
as purposely broader diagnostic criteria and greater public
awareness, should not, however, diminish societal responsibility
to support the increasing numbers of individuals being diagnosed
with autism. Neither should enthusiasm for scientific
inquiry into the variety and extent of human behavioral,
neuroanatomical,and genotypic diversity in our population be
dampened.
Old September 2nd 06, 02:11 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
me

Mark Probert wrote:
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/...m_epidemic.pdf

ABSTRACT-According to some lay groups, the nation is
experiencing an autism epidemic-a rapid escalation in
the prevalence of autism for unknown reasons. However,
no sound scientific evidence indicates that the increasing
number of diagnosed cases of autism arises from anything
other than purposely broadened diagnostic criteria, coupled
with deliberately greater public awareness and intentionally
improved case finding. Why is the public perception so disconnected from
the scientific evidence?

I am a substitute teacher, and when I have subbed for "autistic"
children, I was amazed at how the catagory has broadened. I had very
sweet and affectionate children who were supposedly autistic. I
thought at the time that if those children were autistic, then the word
had no meaning.

me

Old September 2nd 06, 04:12 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
Mark Probert

me wrote:
Mark Probert wrote:
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/...m_epidemic.pdf

ABSTRACT-According to some lay groups, the nation is
experiencing an autism epidemic-a rapid escalation in
the prevalence of autism for unknown reasons. However,
no sound scientific evidence indicates that the increasing
number of diagnosed cases of autism arises from anything
other than purposely broadened diagnostic criteria, coupled
with deliberately greater public awareness and intentionally
improved case finding. Why is the public perception so disconnected from
the scientific evidence?

I am a substitute teacher, and when I have subbed for "autistic"
children, I was amazed at how the catagory has broadened. I had very
sweet and affectionate children who were supposedly autistic. I
thought at the time that if those children were autistic, then the word
had no meaning.

Well, it does have meaning, and those kids most likely had some degree
of Autism. However, you are quite correct, the diagnosis has broadened
considerably, and, the inclusion in special education criteria has even
outstripped that.

Thanks for your post.
Old September 2nd 06, 08:16 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
Jan Drew

"Mark Probert" wrote in message
me wrote:

Talking to yourself--again? HYPOCRITE!