Seeking straight A's, parents push for pills

Old September 9th 06, 02:24 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
nimue

Default Seeking straight A's, parents push for pills

Raving Beauty wrote:
nimue wrote:
toto wrote:
I am a
teacher and I can tell you that kids who get As usually do so
because they love learning.

Bull****.

Getting straight A's necessitates one PLAY THE GAME

What game? Doing all your homework? Writing all your essays? Getting an A
average on tests and quizzes? Completing all your projects? Showing up to
class every day? That is what you are graded on. That is not a game --
that is school.

A) Feed teachers demand for narcissistic supply

I am not sure what you mean by that, and it's not the missing apostrophe
that is throwing me; it's the sentence structure. That sentence says that
teachers demand a narcissistic supply -- but of what? I suspect you mean
that students must appeal to the teacher's narcissism by offering praise and
flattery. Is that what you mean? If you want to be an effective
communicator, you have to write clearly.

B) Appease teachers demand for form over substance

Wow, you think teachers are narcissistic and that there is something wrong
with demanding "form." Do you mean good grammar? Why is there this myth
that anything that is grammatically correct is necessarily shallow? The
classics of world literature show how wrong that idea is. It's ridiculous.
It's a lie people who cannot express themselves coherently tell themselves.
A grammatical wreck may have substance, but that substance may be lost
because the sentences make no sense.

C) Always subordinate the truth to being an A student

Oh, so A students have to lie. According to you, there is no way to tell
the truth and be a A student. You have a pretty low opinion of teachers and
A students. You think that A students lie to and flatter teachers (who are
dumb enough to fall for it) and that nothing these A students write has any
meaning. Sure.

etc.

--
nimue

"As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books
than I have read." Betty Bowers

English is our friend. We don't have to fight it.
Oprah

Old September 9th 06, 02:26 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Raving

Raving Beauty wrote:
nimue wrote:
toto wrote:
I am a
teacher and I can tell you that kids who get As usually do so because they
love learning.

Bull****.

Getting straight A's necessitates one PLAY THE GAME

A) Feed teachers demand for narcissistic supply

B) Appease teachers demand for form over substance

C) Always subordinate the truth to being an A student

etc.

I would roughly agree with Raving Beauty on this one.

Those classes that I learned the most in, were the ones that I *really*
had to struggle to learn. Coasting along with a near perfect score is
dumb.

Being penalized for struggling and failing is dumb, dumb and dumber.

Struggling and eventually prevailing is the *sweetest* of all, IMO.

Cordially,

Raving

Old September 9th 06, 03:23 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Raving Beauty

nimue wrote:
Raving Beauty wrote:
nimue wrote:
toto wrote:
[...]

Eat grits!

I PLAYED THE GAME long enough to get straight A's to graduate HS with
honors, and gain admission and graduate with honors from a first rate
University, --then, gain admission to an exclusive grad school,
then, obtain my professional credentials, etc.

Yet---here I sit nearly 30 years later being dismissed as a stupid,
dumb, idiotic, demented, retarded, delusional, psychotic nitwit
because I decline to feed your narcisism, your insistance upon form
over substance, and your demand I subordinate the truth to getting MY
ego stroked by a vindictive narcissistic witch/wizard like you.

Old September 9th 06, 04:01 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Emma Anne

Mommy of 2 wrote:

Medicating ADD/ADHD children (in MY opinion) is absurd.

How nice for you.
Old September 9th 06, 04:06 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
nimue

Raving wrote:
Raving Beauty wrote:
nimue wrote:
toto wrote:
I am a
teacher and I can tell you that kids who get As usually do so
because they love learning.

Bull****.

Getting straight A's necessitates one PLAY THE GAME

A) Feed teachers demand for narcissistic supply

B) Appease teachers demand for form over substance

C) Always subordinate the truth to being an A student

etc.

I would roughly agree with Raving Beauty on this one.

Those classes that I learned the most in, were the ones that I
*really* had to struggle to learn. Coasting along with a near
perfect score is dumb.

That may be true, but that has nothing to do with what Raving Beauty said.

Being penalized for struggling and failing is dumb, dumb and dumber.

Yeah, RB didn't say that, either. FYI, that is a very touchy subject. If
you have a kid who does every homework, has perfect attendance, and gives
his all AND still fails tests and quizzes, what do you do? Do you pass him?
After all, he has tried. Still, his writing is terrible and his reading
comp almost nil. So, what do you do?

Old September 9th 06, 04:10 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
nimue

Raving Beauty wrote:
nimue wrote:
Raving Beauty wrote:
nimue wrote:
toto wrote:
[...]

I graduated one of the best high schools in the country with honors (not in
math or science, though).

and gain admission and graduate with honors from a first
rate University,

I graduated summa cum laude.

--then, gain admission to an exclusive grad school,

So did I. My grad school is ranked in the top ten.

then, obtain my professional credentials, etc.

I did the same.

Yet---here I sit nearly 30 years later being dismissed as a stupid,
dumb, idiotic, demented, retarded, delusional, psychotic nitwit
because I decline to feed your narcisism, your insistance upon form
over substance, and your demand I subordinate the truth to getting
MY ego stroked by a vindictive narcissistic witch/wizard like you.

No. Your weak sentence structure made it difficult to understand what you
were trying to say. That's a fact. I pointed it out. I never called you
stupid, dumb, idiotic, demented, retarded, delusional, psychotic
nitwit and I have no idea why you think I did. I do think you are
mistaken in your beliefs about what it takes to get an A and what A students
are like. This surprised me, because when you condemn A students, you
condemn yourself. Weren't you an A student? That may be how you felt, but
it was never how I felt. I will say I think you are very angry.

Old September 9th 06, 04:44 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Raving Beauty

nimue wrote:
No. Your weak sentence structure made it difficult to understand what you
were trying to say.

You are full of ****.

You are full of ****.

You are full of ****.

You are full of ****.

You are full of ****.

You are full of ****.

You are full of ****.

You are full of ****.

Teachers know they have the power to make or break a child.

The temptation to play god is one they can't resist.

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Old September 9th 06, 04:48 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Sue

"Mommy of 2" wrote in message
Medicating ADD/ADHD children (in MY opinion) is absurd.

Goody for you. It hasn't worked for my nephew though and many others that I
know. ADHD/ADD, if diagnosed correctly is a disease just like diabetes and
you would never think to not medicate if needed. The medication has
certainly helped my nephew become more of a happier little boy and he is
doing much better in school.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old September 9th 06, 04:57 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Raving

nimue wrote:
Raving wrote:
Raving Beauty wrote:
nimue wrote:
toto wrote:
I am a
teacher and I can tell you that kids who get As usually do so
because they love learning.

Bull****.

Getting straight A's necessitates one PLAY THE GAME

A) Feed teachers demand for narcissistic supply

B) Appease teachers demand for form over substance

C) Always subordinate the truth to being an A student

etc.

I would roughly agree with Raving Beauty on this one.

Those classes that I learned the most in, were the ones that I
*really* had to struggle to learn. Coasting along with a near
perfect score is dumb.

That may be true, but that has nothing to do with what Raving Beauty said.

No.

Specifically in this situation; RB's summarizing is proximately,
appropriate.
The student's essential regard is for the 'Grade Score'.

Concern with regard to ...

* Demonstrated "level of proficiency"
* Relative improvement of ability and/or understanding
* creation and/or development of NEW skills and/or understanding

.... is quite beside the point as far as the student is concerned.

The student has mastered that essential knowledge.

"Winning is the only thing that is important". Give the person what
they want.

Being penalized for struggling and failing is dumb, dumb and dumber.

Yeah, RB didn't say that, either. ...

Agreed.

...FYI, that is a very touchy subject. If
you have a kid who does every homework, has perfect attendance, and gives
his all AND still fails tests and quizzes, what do you do? Do you pass him?
After all, he has tried. Still, his writing is terrible and his reading
comp almost nil. So, what do you do?

Dunnoh' , 'cept to point out that the essential concern is on improving
skills and increasing understanding.

"Kissing ass" for brownie points and celebrating that accomplishment is
a predominant, awkward and counterproductive issue. It is worthwhile
and important. It is also limited and misleading.

Cordially,

Raving

Old September 9th 06, 05:07 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
toypup

"Raving Beauty" wrote in message
oups.com...

nimue wrote:
No. Your weak sentence structure made it difficult to understand what
you
were trying to say.

You are full of ****.

You are full of ****.

You are full of ****.

You are full of ****.

You are full of ****.

You are full of ****.

You are full of ****.

You are full of ****.

Teachers know they have the power to make or break a child.

The temptation to play god is one they can't resist.

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I'm wondering if you would like a surgeon to operate on you who barely
passed his exams. Maybe s/he just didn't want to submit to the
establishment.