dental visits?

Old March 18th 04, 07:57 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Default dental visits?

I've always had strong teeth. Never had a cavity or an abcess or
anything. My wisdom teeth grew in fairly straight and I never had
problems with them.

I know that pregnancy is a time when problems are likely to occur, but I
haven't really noticed anything.

But at my WIC appointments they are always telling me to go find a
dentist and hook up with an appointment. Is that really necessary? I
know that gum disease etc. is a risk for pre-term labor, but wouldn't
you think there'd be symptoms for that? Sore gums at least.

I usually avoid dentists unless there's a problem because they are so
expensive and dental coverage isn't as common as health coverage. Right
now I'm covered under medicare because I'm pregnant, but that will
expire two months after delivery. In my experience a dentist wants you
to go to 4-5 visits when you first sign up to do a series of expensive
x-rays and cleanings even if there's nothing wrong. I think that's kind
of unnecessary, plus I would really prefer to avoid flouride treatments
because I have thyroid disease and flouride is a potential issue.

Of course there could be problems I just have no clue about that x-rays
would show, cavities in the works, etc. And early treatment is best, and
maybe going in right now while I *do* have insurance coverage is a good
idea...

I'm torn. What do you think?

Old March 18th 04, 08:04 PM
Emily

Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:

Of course there could be problems I just have no clue about that x-rays
would show, cavities in the works, etc. And early treatment is best, and
maybe going in right now while I *do* have insurance coverage is a good
idea...

I'm torn. What do you think?

I'd say take the appointment (including exam & cleaning)
while you have insurance, but skip the x-rays while pg.
(They can find problems without x-rays, just not all of
them.)

--
Emily
mom to Toby 5/1/02
Old March 18th 04, 08:05 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:

[...]

I sure as heck would at least go in for a cleaning
while I had insurance. Personally, I won't go more than
six months between cleanings because I'm paranoid that
I'll be in for lots of dental work if I wait too long.
I had a long hiatus while in college, and the cleanings
afterwards were not fun. That said, I didn't have to
go several visits when I got back on the bandwagon. I
just started up with six month visits. My husband had an
even longer hiatus, and when he started back up he had
a *lot* of plaque. They did take two sessions to finally
get his teeth cleaned properly. They don't generally
do fluoride treatments on adults, and you could certainly
refuse if you liked.
As far as I'm concerned, there's utterly no
reason not to take advantage of this insurance and
get a good cleaning. And, if there *are* problems
brewing, it would be a darned good idea to get a
heads up before it becomes really expensive to
fix, even if you can't fix it while you're pregnant
and insured.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 18th 04, 08:21 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

I sure as heck would at least go in for a cleaning
while I had insurance. Personally, I won't go more than
six months between cleanings because I'm paranoid that
I'll be in for lots of dental work if I wait too long.

I guess I have to wonder if cleanings are even necessary? Nature
intended there to be plaque, maybe having a little around helps protect
the enamel on your teeth? I would think normal brushing would be all
you'd need. Maybe I'm just being hippyish? LOL

Old March 18th 04, 08:37 PM
JennP

"Shena Delian O'Brien" wrote in message
I guess I have to wonder if cleanings are even necessary? Nature
intended there to be plaque, maybe having a little around helps protect
the enamel on your teeth? I would think normal brushing would be all
you'd need. Maybe I'm just being hippyish? LOL

Well, I can't imagine not going for cleanings every six months but that's
what I've done my whole life. I brush regularly and floss every day and that
does a lot to prevent gum disease. I know that plaque and tartar can be
difficult to remove by brushing and flossing alone. If left untreated then
I'd imagine that would really increase your chances of gum disease.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old March 18th 04, 08:52 PM
Jamie Clark

I think the reason why dentists want you to do so many appointments in a row
is because you aren't doing your regular dental maintenance. I go every 6
months for cleaning, religiously. I don't like dentists, and have a very
mild dental phobia, but I go. If I don't go, and don't floss, the next
appointment is really bad, hurts me a lot, and is very stressful.

I think you should go and have your teeth cleaned and examined, and make an
appointment for about a month after delivery, for any follow-up, including
another cleaning and X-rays. Dental health is so important, and isn't
something that you should just wait until you feel a pain. You don't want
to be 50 and be all snaggly-toothed, do you? These teeth you have are the
only set you are going to have for the rest of your life, keep them healthy!
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest, Password:
Guest
Password

Handmade Baby Blankets -- www.geocities.com/digit_the_cat/Blankets.html

Old March 18th 04, 08:53 PM
Clisby

Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:
I've always had strong teeth. Never had a cavity or an abcess or
anything. My wisdom teeth grew in fairly straight and I never had
problems with them.

I know that pregnancy is a time when problems are likely to occur, but I
haven't really noticed anything.

But at my WIC appointments they are always telling me to go find a
dentist and hook up with an appointment. Is that really necessary? I
know that gum disease etc. is a risk for pre-term labor, but wouldn't
you think there'd be symptoms for that? Sore gums at least.

I've had 2 dentists tell me problems can crop up in pregnancy because if
you have a lot of vomiting from morning sickness, it can damage the
enamel on your teeth. I never had morning sickness with my pregnancies,
so I don't have any personal experience with this - but is it possible
this is why they're urging you to go?

If it's covered by insurance, I'd definitely go in for a cleaning, at least.

Clisby

Old March 18th 04, 08:55 PM
Jamie Clark

Yes, I think you are being hippyish. Cleaning is VERY necessary. Plaque is
bad. It doesn't protect your teeth, it eats at your teeth. Nature intended
there to be cancer too, but that doesn't make it good or healthy.

Brushing is good, but doesn't take care of the crevices. You can see people
who don't take proper care of their teeth, and don't get regular cleaning,
and it's obvious. Just watch Extreme Makeover. I'd bet those people are
regular brushers, but don't go to the dentist unless something hurts.

Old March 18th 04, 09:29 PM
Mary W.

Clisby wrote:

Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:
I've always had strong teeth. Never had a cavity or an abcess or
anything. My wisdom teeth grew in fairly straight and I never had
problems with them.

I know that pregnancy is a time when problems are likely to occur, but I
haven't really noticed anything.

But at my WIC appointments they are always telling me to go find a
dentist and hook up with an appointment. Is that really necessary? I
know that gum disease etc. is a risk for pre-term labor, but wouldn't
you think there'd be symptoms for that? Sore gums at least.

I've had 2 dentists tell me problems can crop up in pregnancy because if
you have a lot of vomiting from morning sickness, it can damage the
enamel on your teeth. I never had morning sickness with my pregnancies,
so I don't have any personal experience with this - but is it possible
this is why they're urging you to go?

Hormones can also wreck havoc on your gums. I have lousy gums
anyway (so I actually go for cleanings every 3-4 months) and they
just get worse when I'm pregnant.

Mary

Old March 18th 04, 09:45 PM
Luna

Nature intended for us to eat a lot of whole grains, nuts, and fruits . .
not white flour and white sugar. That's why we have cavities and plaque
buildup (as well as diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc etc etc).
I'd go for the cleaning and anything else that happens to be covered. I'm
sure they wouldn't do anything that's harmful during pregnancy.
FWIW, I had two cleanings and then my wisdom teeth out while I was covered
by that extra-special pregnancy coverage.
Hannah