HELP ASAP baby wont latch on was hospitalized for Jaundice and feedwith bottle!!

Old January 3rd 08, 07:33 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default HELP ASAP baby wont latch on was hospitalized for Jaundice and feedwith bottle!!

Please help!! My one week old baby girl almost refuses to latch on.
She was doing very well nursing initially but she was readmitted for
Jaundice the evening we were discharged. I went to the hospital while
she was under light treatment to breast feed her and they used a
bottle when I was not there. We brought her home and had to take her
back to the ER new years eve for Jaundice again and now she is finally
home. But she does not want to latch on at all so I've been pumping
and bottle feeding her. When I try to breast feed her she gets real
fussy and starts crying I even try keeping my nipple there and there
is plenty of milk I can squirt her in the mouth!! Any suggestions ASAP
would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 3rd 08, 09:50 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

wrote:

Please help!! My one week old baby girl almost refuses to latch on.
She was doing very well nursing initially but she was readmitted for
Jaundice the evening we were discharged. I went to the hospital while
she was under light treatment to breast feed her and they used a
bottle when I was not there. We brought her home and had to take her
back to the ER new years eve for Jaundice again and now she is finally
home. But she does not want to latch on at all so I've been pumping
and bottle feeding her. When I try to breast feed her she gets real
fussy and starts crying I even try keeping my nipple there and there
is plenty of milk I can squirt her in the mouth!! Any suggestions ASAP
would be greatly appreciated.

You might want to try some of the ideas in the "Un-confusing the nipple
confused baby" section at this link:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022400.asp

Here's a few more articles that might help.
http://www.kjsl.net/%7Ecee/confuse.htm
http://www.mother-2-mother.com/nippleconfusiontruth.htm

You can also use Google to look up other sites for nipple confusion
which is what it sounds like to me.

As for jaundice, our baby had it a few days from birth, plenty of time
in indirect sunlight cured up our little yellow boy

Also, if you're able to squirt easily, then you may have a flash flow
and you can probably do a search for that too.

Good luck.
N.

Old January 3rd 08, 03:37 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jodi B

wrote:

Please help!! My one week old baby girl almost refuses to latch on.
She was doing very well nursing initially but she was readmitted for
Jaundice the evening we were discharged. I went to the hospital while
she was under light treatment to breast feed her and they used a
bottle when I was not there. We brought her home and had to take her
back to the ER new years eve for Jaundice again and now she is finally
home. But she does not want to latch on at all so I've been pumping
and bottle feeding her. When I try to breast feed her she gets real
fussy and starts crying I even try keeping my nipple there and there
is plenty of milk I can squirt her in the mouth!! Any suggestions ASAP
would be greatly appreciated.

I have a three month old, and we went through a really rough time at the
beginning. Getting him to latch on properly and reliably took about a week
and a half. I would nurse him as much as he would stand and then pump the
rest and feed it to him by bottle because the doctors were worried about
his weight loss (he wasn't jaundiced though). In that first week, it would
take a good 15-20 minutes to get my son to latch on. He would bounce off,
cry, get fussy, then I would be crying out of frustration, and somewhere
in there he would start nursing.

Have you tried giving her a little bit from the bottle at the beginning of
a feed so that she is less hungry and more calm when you put her to the breast?
Or instead of a bottle you could try cup or syringe feeding. It is more
time consuming but may lessen any nipple confusion she might have.

Have you tried different positions and holds for her? For some reason in
the beginning my son would only latch on when we were skin to skin and I
was standing up.

I know how tough those first days can be; I remember crying everytime my
DH gave my son a bottle because I thought it meant I was failing him somehow.
Just remember your first priority is to *feed the baby*. You are doing
great, keep at it!!

Old January 4th 08, 03:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
mommak

On Jan 3, 1:33*am, wrote:
Please help!! My one week old baby girl almost refuses to latch on.
She was doing very well nursing initially but she was readmitted for
Jaundice the evening we were discharged. I went to the hospital while
she was under light treatment to breast feed her and they used a
bottle when I was not there. We brought her home and had to take her
back to the ER new years eve for Jaundice again and now she is finally
home. But she does not want to latch on at all so I've been pumping
and bottle feeding her. When I try to breast feed her she gets real
fussy and starts crying I even try keeping my nipple there and there
is plenty of milk I can squirt her in the mouth!! Any suggestions ASAP
would be greatly appreciated.

If I was in that situation... I'd wait until the baby was hungry...
and take time... maybe about 15 mintues... and try during that time to
get her to latch on. I think she is more likely to try to latch on
after she realizes that is all you have to offer... she may try harder
when she is hungrier. Only my opinion though. Good Luck
Old January 4th 08, 04:08 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Akuvikate

On Jan 2, 10:33*pm, wrote:
Please help!! My one week old baby girl almost refuses to latch on.
She was doing very well nursing initially but she was readmitted for
Jaundice the evening we were discharged. I went to the hospital while
she was under light treatment to breast feed her and they used a
bottle when I was not there. We brought her home and had to take her
back to the ER new years eve for Jaundice again and now she is finally
home. But she does not want to latch on at all so I've been pumping
and bottle feeding her. When I try to breast feed her she gets real
fussy and starts crying I even try keeping my nipple there and there
is plenty of milk I can squirt her in the mouth!! Any suggestions ASAP
would be greatly appreciated.

The hands-on help from a lactation consultant, or even a La Leche
League volunteer, would be far more helpful than anything we can write
on the internet. Get thee some in person help ASAP.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 4 years old
and something brewing, 4/08
Old January 4th 08, 09:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

mommak wrote:

If I was in that situation... I'd wait until the baby was hungry...
and take time... maybe about 15 mintues... and try during that time to
get her to latch on. I think she is more likely to try to latch on
after she realizes that is all you have to offer... she may try harder
when she is hungrier.

It's important to realise that the strategy of getting the baby hungrier
in hopes that this will make her more likely to suck can backfire in a
newborn. A very hungry baby is likely to be too distracted and
distraught to want to figure anything out, not to mention too
uncomfortable because of being filled with wind from all the crying.

Probably the best time to try to get a baby to learn to feed is when
they're just starting to get hungry (turning head to the side, making
rooting movements with mouth, possibly just starting to fuss) rather
than when they're full-on ravenous.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

Baby Trend Latch Loc Vicki S General 4 July 19th 04 01:41 AM
Giving baby a bottle asl Breastfeeding 10 December 31st 03 06:49 AM
My 2 mo old wont take a bottle - help! Kari Breastfeeding 12 December 2nd 03 07:32 PM
3 week old baby unable to latch - help! Cathy Breastfeeding 8 October 11th 03 09:37 AM
baby refusing bottle betty laurent Breastfeeding 4 July 24th 03 07:31 PM