vacuum aversion

Old June 29th 05, 06:11 PM
donnathorpe

Default vacuum aversion

I just need a few sympathetic ears from the community. Are any of your
children extremely afraid of the vacuum cleaner, like to the point of
tantrums and you having to rework your schedule so you can come home and
clean before picking the kids up from school? Our Erika is absolutely
terrified of them, and while I've trying to be patient as always, my in-
laws are coming for an extended visit and the house needs a very
thorough cleaning as they have allergies. I'm feeling more than a bit
frazzled!
-donna
Old June 29th 05, 06:35 PM
toypup

"donnathorpe" wrote in message
.. .
I just need a few sympathetic ears from the community. Are any of your
children extremely afraid of the vacuum cleaner, like to the point of
tantrums and you having to rework your schedule so you can come home and
clean before picking the kids up from school? Our Erika is absolutely
terrified of them, and while I've trying to be patient as always, my in-
laws are coming for an extended visit and the house needs a very
thorough cleaning as they have allergies. I'm feeling more than a bit
frazzled!
-donna

Maybe she's not frightened, maybe she's especially sensitive to the noise.
Maybe for her, it's really too loud. Have you tried earplugs or those noise
cancellation headphones?

Old June 29th 05, 06:53 PM
Clisby

donnathorpe wrote:
I just need a few sympathetic ears from the community. Are any of your
children extremely afraid of the vacuum cleaner, like to the point of
tantrums and you having to rework your schedule so you can come home and
clean before picking the kids up from school? Our Erika is absolutely
terrified of them, and while I've trying to be patient as always, my in-
laws are coming for an extended visit and the house needs a very
thorough cleaning as they have allergies. I'm feeling more than a bit
frazzled!
-donna

Mine were like this when they were really little (under 3). I didn't
rework my schedule - just had my husband take them over to the park or
out for a long walk while I vacuumed.

Clisby
Old June 29th 05, 07:01 PM
Irrational Number

donnathorpe wrote:
I just need a few sympathetic ears from the community. Are any of your
children extremely afraid of the vacuum cleaner, like to the point of
tantrums and you having to rework your schedule so you can come home and
clean before picking the kids up from school? Our Erika is absolutely
terrified of them, and while I've trying to be patient as always, my in-
laws are coming for an extended visit and the house needs a very
thorough cleaning as they have allergies. I'm feeling more than a bit
frazzled!

Absolutely. Every child is different.

-- Anita --

Old June 29th 05, 08:44 PM
toto

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:11:31 GMT, donnathorpe
wrote:

I just need a few sympathetic ears from the community. Are any of your
children extremely afraid of the vacuum cleaner, like to the point of
tantrums and you having to rework your schedule so you can come home and
clean before picking the kids up from school? Our Erika is absolutely
terrified of them, and while I've trying to be patient as always, my in-
laws are coming for an extended visit and the house needs a very
thorough cleaning as they have allergies. I'm feeling more than a bit
frazzled!
-donna

Dgd still hates the vacuum cleaner. Interestingly, the white noise
from it used to lull her to sleep when she was a baby, but that was
a tape we made of the noise and it was softer than the actual vacuum.
She is better now and I can get her to play out on the sunporch or in
the backyard while I vacuum. She hates the lawn mower too and
will go into a room that is far from the porch or windows when she
hears it starting. She also hates the neighbor's leaf blowers. Loud
noises just don't go well with her. I haven't tried earplugs. I
don't think she would allow them, but maybe your dd will like them.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old June 29th 05, 09:38 PM
Nikki

donnathorpe wrote:
I just need a few sympathetic ears from the community. Are any of your
children extremely afraid of the vacuum cleaner, like to the point of
tantrums and you having to rework your schedule so you can come home
and clean before picking the kids up from school? Our Erika is
absolutely terrified of them, and while I've trying to be patient as
always, my in- laws are coming for an extended visit and the house
needs a very thorough cleaning as they have allergies. I'm feeling
more than a bit frazzled!

Hunter was like that until he was nearly 4yo. He didn't tantrum, just cried
etc. I just did what needed to be done. He was cured overnight when his
'oh so cool' 10yo cousin came to visit and did the vacuuming. Had I known
I'd have invited him over to vacuum much sooner :-)

--
Nikki

Old June 29th 05, 10:42 PM
dwacon

"donnathorpe" wrote in message
.. .
I just need a few sympathetic ears from the community. Are any of your
children extremely afraid of the vacuum cleaner, like to the point of
tantrums and you having to rework your schedule so you can come home and
clean before picking the kids up from school? Our Erika is absolutely
terrified of them, and while I've trying to be patient as always, my in-
laws are coming for an extended visit and the house needs a very
thorough cleaning as they have allergies. I'm feeling more than a bit
frazzled!

My mother applied belt therapy and that kept me tantrum free...

--
I made magic once. Now, the sofa is gone...
http://www.dwacon.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0526-2, 06/29/2005
Tested on: 6/29/2005 5:42:25 PM

Old June 30th 05, 12:10 AM
Patty Pugh

donnathorpe wrote in
:

I just need a few sympathetic ears from the community. Are any of your
children extremely afraid of the vacuum cleaner, like to the point of
tantrums and you having to rework your schedule so you can come home
and clean before picking the kids up from school? Our Erika is
absolutely terrified of them, and while I've trying to be patient as
always, my in- laws are coming for an extended visit and the house
needs a very thorough cleaning as they have allergies. I'm feeling
more than a bit frazzled!
-donna

That is unusual, is something else going on besides the vacuum cleaner?
Is she afraid of other loud noises? Our dog was afraid of the loud noise
from our old vacuum. Our solution was to replace our loud beast for a
Roomba about a year ago. Maybe you could do the same since it is less
noisy and very small. Plus, it can vacuum when Erika is out of house.
Good luck with Erika, the vacuum cleaner and the in-laws!
Patricia Pugh

Old June 30th 05, 01:27 AM
larissa

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:11:31 +0000, donnathorpe wrote:

My two eldest children were always terrified of the vacuum cleaner and if
I had to use it would go as far away from it as possible in another room
and close the door. My youngest does not like the noise, but is not
fearful about it, she just tends to wander away after a while. Now my
4 year old is no longer scared he likes to help with it. It will pass, but
it is annoying.

Larissa
Old June 30th 05, 01:27 AM
Rose

donnathorpe wrote:
I just need a few sympathetic ears from the community. Are any of your
children extremely afraid of the vacuum cleaner, like to the point of
tantrums and you having to rework your schedule so you can come home and
clean before picking the kids up from school? Our Erika is absolutely
terrified of them, and while I've trying to be patient as always, my in-
laws are coming for an extended visit and the house needs a very
thorough cleaning as they have allergies. I'm feeling more than a bit
frazzled!
-donna

DD was terrfied of the vacuum. I had to make sure she was either
sleeping upstairs or some one was home to hold her. Even with daddy
holding her she still looked ready to burst into hysterical tears and
her little heart would race a mile a minute. I got the bright idea to
buy her a toy vacuum for her 2nd birthday. She was in the room as i
wrapped her presents but showed no interest in any of them. At her
party she opened her presents until she got to the vacuum. She walked
out of the room and refused to open it. (We have this on tape.) Finally
we opened it for her. She wouldn't have anything to do with it for
probably another year. Now she can't wait until she is big enough to
use the full size vacuum, so they do grow out of it eventually.