Food aversion question

Old October 21st 06, 09:40 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sarah Vaughan

Default Food aversion question

Those of you who went off particular foods in your first pregnancy, did
you find you had the same aversions in subsequent pregnancies?

I went *completely* off fish (I had other aversions, but fish was
definitely the strongest), and was mentioning to my husband that we'd
have to plan some non-fish recipes for when I next got pregnant. He
pointed out that I was assuming that the same thing would happen. I had
indeed been assuming this, and, while obviously only trying again will
show whether the same thing happens, I'm still very curious to hear what
other people's experience was!

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell
Old October 21st 06, 10:49 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Sarah Vaughan wrote:
Those of you who went off particular foods in your first pregnancy, did
you find you had the same aversions in subsequent pregnancies?

I didn't really have any strong aversions for my first pregnancy. For
this one, I've gone almost completely off coffee -- aversion is too
strong of a word, but I just don't want it very often. Also, I don't
want wine very often either -- completely different from last time!!
haha

My cravings are different this time round. Last time I had about three
weeks of chicken-finger and curly-fries craving. This time, it was one
week of Taco Bell craving -- which, by the way, presently sounds
repulsive (luckily! haha).

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old October 21st 06, 11:17 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
April & Stewart

Hi Sarah

Nope all my pregnancies were different. Can't remember completly with the
boys BUT I went off Tea and Coffee completly with Joanna and I can remember
drinking that in the others. Hmm food I couldnt really stand Mc D's with
Joanna but could eat that with the boys and I also developed a alergic
reaction whilst pregnant with Joanna which has stayed with me, if I eat
certain foods some time cheese burgers from Md D's and sandwhiches from my
local Tesco or Asda (similar to Walmart I believe) I come down with a
alergic reaction, I will get a tingerling sensation in my mouth and down my
throat which will last anything from a couple of minute to half hour. This
only began when I became pregnant with my daughter in the last stage of
pregnacy. It can be different each time.

April

Old October 22nd 06, 02:35 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sharalyns

Sarah Vaughan wrote:
Those of you who went off particular foods in your first pregnancy, did
you find you had the same aversions in subsequent pregnancies?

I went *completely* off fish (I had other aversions, but fish was
definitely the strongest), and was mentioning to my husband that we'd
have to plan some non-fish recipes for when I next got pregnant. He
pointed out that I was assuming that the same thing would happen. I had
indeed been assuming this, and, while obviously only trying again will
show whether the same thing happens, I'm still very curious to hear what
other people's experience was!

All the best,

Sarah

While I haven't had a second successful pregnancy, there are foods from
my first pregnancy I *still* can't eat/drink. Coffee being the big one,
but also certain types of chicken and red meat are a huge turn off for
me. I also have a couple of things that sounded good at first, then I
threw them up and I still can't eat them. Cottage Cheese, yogurt, and
chili top that list. :-P

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

Old October 22nd 06, 10:38 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Engram

"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message
Those of you who went off particular foods in your first pregnancy, did
you find you had the same aversions in subsequent pregnancies?

I went *completely* off fish (I had other aversions, but fish was
definitely the strongest), and was mentioning to my husband that we'd have
to plan some non-fish recipes for when I next got pregnant. He pointed
out that I was assuming that the same thing would happen. I had indeed
been assuming this, and, while obviously only trying again will show
whether the same thing happens, I'm still very curious to hear what other
people's experience was!

It's been very different with both my pregnancies. Don't know if it was a
boy/girl thing, or just different pregnancy, different stuff happening.

With Matthew, I could eat anything and had fruit cravings. Our grocery bill
doubled, because I was eating that much fruit.

With Lara I was craving sweets. Fruit was not a good substitute,
unfortunately. It had to be gummy bears and chocolate. At the beginning I
didn't notice any real aversions, but in the second half I went off minced
meat. It was the taste, not the texture, too. I haven't had any bolognaise
or anything else with mince in it since giving birth a week ago so don't
know if that actually stuck around, but I'm really not feeling all that
enthusiastic about eating a bowl of spag...

Kasia

Old October 22nd 06, 11:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Irrational Number

Sarah Vaughan wrote:

Those of you who went off particular foods in your first pregnancy, did
you find you had the same aversions in subsequent pregnancies?

Both times, I had a serious aversion to chocolate
and all sweets. But, in the second pregnancy, I
had a craving for pastrami, which I had not eaten
in about 10 years. I had a craving for dark tea
in the first pregnancy, craving for 7-up in the
second.

-- Anita --
Old October 23rd 06, 04:13 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

as I remember, they were similar, but not identical, in my first pregnancy,
I really went off chicken, to the extent of being entirely unable to eat it,
or be in the same room as it etc. 2nd pregnancy, at a restaurant, I wouldn't
have chosen chicken, but could tolerate it. I'm racking my brains, I can't
think of other things, but I do recall similar with cravings as well, that
they were either different, or less strong in one pregnancy than the other.
Btw, my 2 pregnancies have been children of opposite sex, I wonder if that
makes a difference, all the strong cravings and aversions were in the boy
(1st) pregnancy.

Anne

Old October 23rd 06, 11:42 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
betsy

Sarah Vaughan wrote:
Those of you who went off particular foods in your first pregnancy, did
you find you had the same aversions in subsequent pregnancies?

I had terrible food aversions with my first pregnancy. I've had
different and less food aversions with each subsequent pregnancy. One
chicken and rice dish my husband loves was completely intolerable to me
in my first pregnancy. When he made it, I would stay in the bedroom
with two doors closed between me and the kitchen and keep them closed
until he had the leftovers put away and had aired out the place
completely. I was shocked to find that I could eat it just fine in
later pregnancies.

--Betsy

Old October 24th 06, 04:05 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message
Those of you who went off particular foods in your first pregnancy, did
you find you had the same aversions in subsequent pregnancies?

I went *completely* off fish (I had other aversions, but fish was
definitely the strongest), and was mentioning to my husband that we'd have
to plan some non-fish recipes for when I next got pregnant. He pointed
out that I was assuming that the same thing would happen. I had indeed
been assuming this, and, while obviously only trying again will show
whether the same thing happens, I'm still very curious to hear what other
people's experience was!

Some the same and some different.
Basically with all three (so far) I've generally gone off food. Smell,
taste, sight and even feel!
With all 3 I've gone off chocolate. Not really yucky but just don't want it
(or to smell it). Ditto coffee.
Also I've gone off bread with them all, but this is a bit of a thing with
me, I go off bread if I'm the teeniest bit ill, so that's really a separate
issue.
With #1 I went off baked beans and still can't stand them. I also went off
rice. I could eat/drink ribena cartoned drinks and orange ice lollies, and
salty chips. (I also loved the small of washing powder)
With #2 I went off my favourite (usually) salt and vinegar crisps. I went
off milk and any sort of biscuits! I drank tea-usually I can't stand it, and
liked the smell of chinese food, and rice with sweet and sour sauce on.
#3 (so far) I'm off chips, rich tea biscuits, and eating satsumas and salt
and vinegar crisps-and drinking cola.

Debbie