NICU visits

Old May 25th 04, 06:14 PM
DBB3

Default NICU visits

Because my child was a premmie, the NICU where he was born wants him to
visit
every few months for a developmental evaluation. The problem is that
the
evaluation group is a stoic group and my child won't perform or them.
The
wife and I feel that there is no a thing wrong with his development and
in fact,
he may even be ahead of the norm. However, they want to see it and my
child
just plays shy and won't perform so they want him to come back. They
said that
if he doesn't perform on the next visit that they're going to have the
department of infants and toddlers visit our home and try to get it done there.

My spouse and I have a problem with this. It's too close to getting the
state
involved with out raising of the child. So, my questions a
Are we required, leagilly or otherwise, to continue with the NICU evaluation
visits?
How close is the infants and toddlers program to CPS. With all that I
read here,
I am pretty scared of CPS. We provide a good home for our child, there
is no abuse
occuring, not even spanking. It seema like a bad thing to start, this
inviting state
programs into our house.

I need some feedback and input on this. Thanks,
Old May 26th 04, 01:20 PM
Fern5827

Default NICU visits & involving CPS

What does your primary physician say about your child's development?

Has your child been for all of his first year visits?

Immunizations, etc?

What was the birthweight, and term of gestation?

Post this on Newsgroup alt support child protective services.

Available thru: http://www.Google.com
Groups, if your ISP does not carry that newsgroup; Google does.

Best wishes.

DBB asks:

Subject: NICU visits

Old May 26th 04, 11:49 PM
Carlson LaVonne

How old is your child? Do you live in a state that requires the
educational system to provide special education services free of charge
to all parents who desire services?

Your child was a premie, but you don't mention how early he was born.
Premies are in a high risk category for development. It sounds like you
and your child have a caring team that wants to follow this little one's
development to see if there are issues that need to be addressed.

This is no reflection on you or your spouse. This is responsible and
caring behavior on behalf of the NICU staff.

LaVonne

Old May 26th 04, 11:54 PM
Carlson LaVonne

Fern,

As a former Early Childhood Special Education Teacher and a currently a
college instructor who coordinates and supervises early childhood
special education student teachers, I can assure you that this is not
unusual or difficult. What concerns me more are the families that live
in states where services are not available for children born at less
than 38 weeks gestation.

These tiny children are so often at risk for both medical complications
and developmental concerns. It sounds like this family is experiencing
an involved and caring NICU team. This child may also be eligible for
special education services if the family lives in a state that mandates
services for all children from birth, should the family choose to avail
themselves of the services.

I'm confused about the paranoia of the poster.

LaVonne

Old May 27th 04, 04:12 AM
Kane

On Wed, 26 May 2004 17:54:13 -0500, Carlson LaVonne
wrote:

[...]

Don't be. There is NO confusion. It is all wrapped up in the very
battle I am in constantly with the liars at
alt.support.child-protective-services.

I quote from the poster's message: "With all that I
read here, I am pretty scared of CPS."

The anti CPS propagandists, with The Plant being among the worst, prey
on frightened families.....and almost to a person, lead them to do the
worst possible things, make the worst possible decisions.

You haven't forgotten the poster boy for CPS Paranoia, have you? Kneal
the Felthead?

He opitomizes the mindset and was undoubtedly a factor in steering
people the wrong way again and again.

Those guilty (but willing to get their acts together) and perfectly
innocent families are both mislead by this crowd.

If they would simply google the archives and see who can best help
(who has the best score dealing with CPS in the ascps ng) and who had
the worst score...like ZERO for ALL OTHERS, and especially the anti
CPS lying nutcases, they could figure out how to take care of
themselves.

But the yammering hyenas, as The Plant, are on them like
...well...hyenas on a crippled antelope. Savaging them mercilessly for
La Causa.....DESTROY CPS, KILL CPS....their oft screamed motto.

Don't be surprised that someone is unduly frightened, and thereby
disarmed...that IS the plan of the sick twits on ascps.

They WANT people to be frightened and incapacitated so they will do
the WRONG thing, as suggested, so that the thugs that play with their
lives in the ng can scream, "SEE, WE TOLD YOU ABOUT CPS."

It's all a sick ego trip for them, from the most to the least educated
and intelligent. Even to people with degrees in social work...sick eh?

You'll notice, of course, that once again, The Plant carefully avoided
reply with a cross post to the very news group most involved, ascps.
IT knows that some people don't look here in aps that monitor ascps
and respond to IT's stupidity and vicious attacks on parents and
childen.

I cross posted to the right groups. I'm sooooooo helpful that way....R
R R R R R R R R R R R R

Kane

LaVonne

Old May 27th 04, 11:35 AM
DBB3

Carlson LaVonne wrote:

How old is your child? Do you live in a state that requires the
educational system to provide special education services free of charge
to all parents who desire services?

Your child was a premie, but you don't mention how early he was born.
Premies are in a high risk category for development. It sounds like you
and your child have a caring team that wants to follow this little one's
development to see if there are issues that need to be addressed.

This is no reflection on you or your spouse. This is responsible and
caring behavior on behalf of the NICU staff.

LaVonne

He's 26 months, was born at 34 weeks, weighed 3 pounds 12 ounces.
His development appears to be very fine. He plays, stackes things,
gets shaped blocks into the proper holes, has a HUGE vocabulary
and is just plain doing well. BUT, he won't perform for the people that
evaluate him.
Old May 27th 04, 02:29 PM
Fern5827

Your child seems right on the developmental curve for me.

Remember, he only missed approx 4-6 weeks of gestation in Mom.

Heck, they now save fetuses close to 1 lb.

Basically, he was a monster. BIG CHILD.

Physicians understand toddler shyness (or should). Most of what they get from
toddlers is screaming from the shots.

If CPS comes to your home, I would not let them in. Anyway, they are not
qualified to do an assessment of developmental progress. Again, check with the
physician who knows you and your son. Just don't answer the door if CPS comes
a trollin'

Make sure he's on your side. And agrees with you. Your pp.

Old May 27th 04, 04:11 PM
Fern5827

NICU= Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
Old May 27th 04, 05:13 PM
Kane

On Thu, 27 May 2004 10:35:45 GMT, DBB3 wrote:

Carlson LaVonne wrote:

[...]

This is the age of the consumer operated home Video camera.

How could everyone miss this obvious solution to a problem that does
not have to get serious.

The problem presents as being unwilling to "perform" for strangers.

Okay, then don't have any strangers present....and prove to the NICU
folks that what you claim is true.

If you don't have a video camera surly someone in your family or among
your social group does.

Make copies (two would be about right) for the NICU folks that you
have had previewed by your child's pediatrician, with his or her
evaluation commentary accompanying the tapes, with the obvious
explanation that the child is highly advanced for his age and more
reactive to his environment (as in: too much focus on strangers rather
than tasks...strong interest in and reaction to the "new" or "strange"
is a sign of advanced development in children of his age).

Get back to us with the results.

Kane
Old May 27th 04, 05:33 PM
Kane

On 27 May 2004 13:29:08 GMT, (Fern5827) wrote:

Your child seems right on the developmental curve for me.

Remember, he only missed approx 4-6 weeks of gestation in Mom.

Heck, they now save fetuses close to 1 lb.

Basically, he was a monster. BIG CHILD.

Physicians understand toddler shyness (or should). Most of what they

get from
toddlers is screaming from the shots.

If CPS comes to your home, I would not let them in.

Why, if you are properly prepared? Workers can be disarmed as easily
as the NICU people can be with proper tactics. Warmly greeted with
lots of bragging about the child, with a video show of HIS ADVANCED
ABILITIES and a copy of a pediatricians review of the video would make
it clear they have NO cause for investigation. Such things happen all
the time.

They had a go at me in the late 60's, and my overly responsive actions
made it damn clear to them they didn't have a secretive, nutcase on
their hands.

Anyway, they are not
qualified to do an assessment of developmental progress.

Nor was that the intent of the NICU folks.

Again, check with the
physician who knows you and your son.

Gosh, something of use. But so limited that it's obvious the first
thing you want from this family is to do battle with all and sundry.

Just don't answer the door if CPS comes
a trollin'

Bull****. That's a setup for a warrant you dumb twit.

This family is involved now, whether you or they like it or not. it
would NOT be hard for an abuse investigator to get a warrant given the
recommendation of those folks.

Make sure he's on your side. And agrees with you. Your pp.

Dummy............MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT UNDULY INFLUENCE THE
PEDIATRICIAN........or if this escalates, as The Plant so obviously
wants it to, you have burned a bridge. You need unbiased support from
professionals.

Have the child's pediatrician evaluate a video of the child performing
as you say he does when only you folks are around.

Beware the battle prone raving paranoids on this ng. Stay calm and
thoughtful. Be in control by NOT being reactive or defensive, but
open, calm, friendly, and backed by evidence you can brag about.

Sign nothing.

If you *are* presented with anything to sign, either in home, or at a
CPS office, politely offer to have your family attorneys review it
with the promise to return it later. (Always use the plural
"attorneys" and "my family's" when referring to your "attorneys). It's
a nice gentle way of alerting CPS you aren't powerless or helpless.

Any mention of taking your children requires an immediate call to an
attorney. And put the phone in the worker's hand and let them talk. If
you do not have an attorney now, get one. Most will do a single
consult for free or for a small fee, and be available if you need
them.

Make that video NOW and get it to your child's pediatrician.

This doesn't sound like it's going anywhere though. Keep us informed.

Kane