Problem bottle feeding one of the twins

Old September 26th 07, 10:36 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets,misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids
[email protected]

Default Problem bottle feeding one of the twins

Hi there,

We have twins who are 3 months old (1.5 months corrected) that my wife
is currently breastfeeding. Occasionally I bottlefeed one of them to
give her a break but our problem is with the other one (Hannah) who
has problems with the bottle.

Hannah will start to take the bottle fine but after several minutes
she will try and spit the nipple out, start crying, arching,
stretching and looks to be in a lot of pain. If I try and continue,
it's as if she can no longer get a good latch on the bottle nipple.
If I do get it above her tongue she will try to suck but quickly
fights it off or sucks but it most seems to spray out of the side her
mouth or leak out.

We've tried all manner of nipples (using different brands, flows,
shapes and textures) but can't find anything that works. She
definitely has reflux and is on Previcid for it. Putting her on it
has allowed my wife to nurse her where before she would not even nurse
very well. Nursing still isn't perfect with her as she sometimes will
take very little but she must make up for it at other times as she's
gaining good weight consistently.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Old September 26th 07, 10:47 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets,misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

you don't say what's in the bottle, if it's formula then that might be
the problem, if it's breastmilk, then you probably need to look at
things like position and how you are holding the bottle - could she be
taking in air - it does sound like something about the feed is making
her uncomfortable after a period of time. Try to have her as upright as
possible and make sure the nipple is full of milk - unfortunately this
can mean a waste of milk as you can only manage this through the whole
feed if there is some left at the end. Another possibility is that maybe
you are overestimating how much milk she needs in a feed and that her
discomfort results from you encouraging her to take more when she's done
and her tummy becomes over full. You could also try burping her a few
minutes in.

Give your wife a pat on the back for breastfeeding premie twins...

cheers
Anne
Old September 27th 07, 12:32 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets,misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids
Jeff

wrote:
Hi there,

We have twins who are 3 months old (1.5 months corrected) that my wife
is currently breastfeeding. Occasionally I bottlefeed one of them to
give her a break but our problem is with the other one (Hannah) who
has problems with the bottle.

Hannah will start to take the bottle fine but after several minutes
she will try and spit the nipple out, start crying, arching,
stretching and looks to be in a lot of pain. If I try and continue,
it's as if she can no longer get a good latch on the bottle nipple.
If I do get it above her tongue she will try to suck but quickly
fights it off or sucks but it most seems to spray out of the side her
mouth or leak out.

We've tried all manner of nipples (using different brands, flows,
shapes and textures) but can't find anything that works.

yes, you found something that works. Breast milk.

She
definitely has reflux and is on Previcid for it. Putting her on it
has allowed my wife to nurse her where before she would not even nurse
very well. Nursing still isn't perfect with her as she sometimes will
take very little but she must make up for it at other times as she's
gaining good weight consistently.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Talk to her doctor.

It could be many different things. If she is acting as if she is in
pain, that is a god sign that you should stop bottle feeding and talk to
your doctor before trying again, especially when you have a way that
works just fine.

Jeff
Old September 27th 07, 02:35 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets,misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids
JennP.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

So she's gaining well then? It sounds like the actual nursing is going
better now and her wieght is not an issue. I would suspect that she just has
a preference for the breast over the bottle. It's actually quite common but
I understand your concern given the fact that she is a preemie and that she
was slow to establish breastfeeding. I would watch her weight and let her
have the breast as much as possible. Maybe save the bottles for your other
twin to give your dw a break? HTH

JennP.

Old September 27th 07, 07:06 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets,misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids
[email protected]

On Sep 27, 2:36 am, wrote:
[...]

ponnapula , ponnapula , ponnapula , ponnapula , ponnapula ,

Old September 27th 07, 07:06 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets,misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids
[email protected]

On Sep 27, 6:35 am, "JennP." wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

JennP.- Hide quoted text -

[...]
ponnapula , ponnapula ,

Old September 27th 07, 01:48 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets,misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids
Frisbee®

wrote in message
[...]

These may be way too obvious to be the answer, but perhaps she needs
burping?
Perhaps a different formula?

Old September 28th 07, 11:19 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets,misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids
Donna Metler

"toypup" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:28:24 -0700, wrote:

I'm going back to work soon and my wife was hoping that she might
exclusively pump and bottle both girls with the breastmilk rather then
nurse them one at a time as it would be far quicker. Unfortunately,
Hannah doesn't take to the tandem nursing very well either and until
they can self latch and hold my wife literally needs an extra hand to
do it. Bottling one, nursing the other and then pumping doesn't
really buy her any more time so I guess we'll have to make the
decision on going to formula or not. She's just putting so much
pressure on herself to keep them on breastmilk only...

I personally don't think it saves time to pump and feed rather than just
BF; but then again, I don't have twins. I know that if I had to pump
exclusively for either child, I would have given up completely and
switched
entirely to bottle. It's just too hard.

I'd just like to say, as someone who EPd a preemie who couldn't nurse and
pumped until age 2, EPing is not as bad as people make it sound. You do
eventually get into a rhythm of it. If you can combo pump and BF, it should
be even more doable.

Is she pumping one side while nursing on the other? Single pumping takes
more than 2x as long as double pumping, IME, because stimulation on one side
aides letdown on the other, and I'd expect the same thing to apply to
nursing/single pumping.

Does she have a hospital-grade pump at home and at work and a good
hands-free bra? If she's pumping and nursing simultaneously, does she have
one which can be opened to nurse on one side while pumping the other?

For me, the first 6-8 weeks were really hard. I wasn't producing much milk
(my milk didn't really even come in for several weeks, and I had very yellow
colostrummy milk for about the first 2 months-which, given DD's prematurity
was probably exactly what she needed). Then, all of a sudden, it shifted.
For quite awhile, I was producing about 2 litres a day, and that was for one
baby. I was able to drop back the frequency of pumps at that point and stay
more than equal to my DD's needs, and really didn't have problems until she
was about 12 months old, at which point supply started to decline, down to
almost nothing at 2.

So, it can work. Yes, it's frustrating as all get out, but it can work-and
since she's able to combine nursing and pumping, it should be even more
doable.

It really bothers me to hear people make it sound like it's breastfeeding or
nothing, and that pumping is a major obstacle. Maybe if I'd ever been able
to breastfeed a baby and seen how easy it was, I might feel that way, but
having EPd, I know it can work, even in a worst case scenerio where
breastfeeding just isn't working at all.

Problem bottle feeding one of the twins [email protected] General 24 September 30th 07 02:46 AM
Problem bottle feeding one of the twins [email protected] Breastfeeding 24 September 30th 07 02:46 AM
Breast or bottle feeding vee Breastfeeding 0 June 12th 07 03:05 AM
Bottle feeding Di Gamaroff Pregnancy 5 August 13th 04 05:23 AM
bottle feeding nightmare!! Jinge Pregnancy 8 May 10th 04 08:18 PM