Hey did I mention...

Old April 19th 04, 10:12 PM
Tiffany

Default Hey did I mention...

My ex-in-laws just came back from Italy. They loved it. Money exchange hurts
though. They hit grocery stores instead of eating out alot to save.

"Joelle" wrote in message
My kids and I are leaving for Italy in a couple of weeks?

We're taking a three week vacation staying in Sorrento, Rome, FLorence,

Venice
- doing it on our own. About a year ago we were doing good on learning
Italian, then kind of dropped the ball, so I'm trying to do a crash course

so I
don't order cow innards for lunch.

We leave May 10, back May 28.

Ciao!

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle

Old April 20th 04, 07:15 PM
Nick

"Joelle" wrote ...

My kids and I are leaving for Italy in a couple of weeks?

nope... I dont think you did...

We're taking a three week vacation staying in Sorrento, Rome, FLorence,

Venice
- doing it on our own.

now that sounds like *Fun*... have a good time...

About a year ago we were doing good on learning
Italian, then kind of dropped the ball, so I'm trying to do a crash course

so I
don't order cow innards for lunch.

G'luck with that.... I only know one phrase in Italian.... and I cant say it
to a 'Rev'....

Ciao!

wow! those classes are really coming along aren't they? ;-)

Seriously, have a great time and bring me back a 'Paint By Numbers' of the
'Cistine Chapel' woncha

Old April 29th 04, 05:13 PM
Karen O'Mara

oaway (Joelle) wrote in message ...
You know, I quit using travelers checks even traveling in the USA a few years
ago, just divide the cash up in interesting safe places (not my socks though)
and use credit cards.

Joelle, a friend was recently pickpocketed in the area you'll be in...
he had zippered pocket in the leg of his pants. He lost $300! They're
slick over there.

I would hit the ATMs often for cash and keep a low stash. Keep your
ATM card (the one you use at home) in your brassiere or something. I
wear my purse across my body and keep my fingers on the zipper tab at
all times when I travel, especially on the trains or in crowds. Don't
leave anything in your hotel room when you leave that you'll need
(passport). And, I don't wear jewelry. You can't help but look
American no matter what you may try to NOT look American. You are a
target for schemers and thieves. Be careful. Italy's notorious for a
few thugs ruining good times! It's like a sport.

Have a great time. I just saw "Under Tuscan Sun" last night on DVD.
(The book was better.) It's such a pretty part of the world. May will
be the perfect time of year for Italy!

Opening up the world of travel for our kids really opens their eyes to
a whole new world (that includes patience, tolerance, repect,
curiosity for other cultures).

Emily used her passport for the first time recently when we went to
Ireland and is still starry-eyed over the time we had. (We didn't even
argue once!!)

Karen
Old April 29th 04, 06:18 PM
Joelle

hmmm you mean two week vacation, not three weeks, right?.

You amaze me. I don't hear from you for a year or so and the first thing you
want to do is correct me again. Whatever. 18 days. More than two weeks, not
quite exactly 21 days. Are you this way with your kid or is just something
about me that bugs you?