thyroid problem

Old October 23rd 06, 06:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

Default thyroid problem

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
that surprised me that there is nothing, I hope there is someone active on
here who has had thyroid issues,

I'm at the other end of the spectrum.

Jess

Old October 23rd 06, 07:59 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

Jess wrote:

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
link.net...

I have a thyroid problem. All of the treatment
options contraindicate breastfeeding. Am I stupid
for wanting to put them off until Rocky weans? He's
16 months old, so most people think weaning is not
a problem. But, he loves nursing. We still nurse
at least 5x a day.

Um, what thyroid problem? If you're hypothyroid, replacement is using the
same hormone your thyroid would be releasing on its' own. If it's hyper and
they're talking RAI, you'd probably want to ask your endo about surgery.

Possibly hyperthyroidism. I'd rather start out
with drugs before RAI or surgery.

-- Anita --
Old October 23rd 06, 04:47 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Dagny

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
link.net...
I have a thyroid problem. All of the treatment
options contraindicate breastfeeding. Am I stupid
for wanting to put them off until Rocky weans? He's
16 months old, so most people think weaning is not
a problem. But, he loves nursing. We still nurse
at least 5x a day.

-- Anita --

I live and nurse pretty comfortably with replaced hypothyroidism, so if you
do end up doing something other than drugs (like destroying your thyroid
gland) I guess I can be somewhat encouraging. I do need to use Armour to
feel well and I replace based on how I feel, rather than TSH. This puts my
free T3 and free T4, when tested, in normal range. I have some cold
intolerance, but my weight is back to normal (did not normalize on
Synthroid).

Dagny

Old October 23rd 06, 11:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

CY wrote:

It's a VERY tough call. I have just discovered I have high cholesterol and
meds for lowering it are not compatible with bf'ing either. There's no way
in h*ll I am weaning both my kids (DS is now 17 mths) so I am really cutting
down on the bad food in the hopes that it will go down on its own.

I know you weren't saying that *you* have thyroid problems, but I
thought I'd mention that they can be a cause of high cholesterol. The
doctor's probably thought of that, though, since thyroid problems are
so common in postpartum women. The Synthroid or whatever it is for
hypothyroid *is* compatible with nursing, as far as I know.

--Helen

Old October 24th 06, 06:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
CY

Hi Anne
"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

ah CY, I was wondering how you were doing on this issue, have you thought
about any of those cholesterol lowering foods? I don't know if they are
available in the US, but in the UK some of the names I recall are
"benecol" and "flora pro-active", I can't recall off hand how they work,
they come as spread, yoghurts etc.

Yep, I have tried Benecol but it gives me a very bad tummy ache - I have NO
idea why, but I still use it from time to time. I also eat a ton of oatmeal
and whole wheat bran stuff etc. I have cut out most all fried foods, cheese
and pizza, except for once a week we get pizza, so I don't feel too
deprived! I bought a book on cholesterol lowering and recipes, and I will
be starting my exercise program in a couple of weeks when dh starts his new
job and can look after the kids while I go to the gym. My father has had a
heart attack (Before he was 50) so apparently that makes me genetically
prone to this issue, unfortunately, but I still don't want to go on meds
before I have tried lowering it on my own. I am very overweight, so I know
that becoming healthier will certainly help.

My dad has been doing it for a while now and it's
brought his cholesterol back down to just in to the normal range, rather
than just out, not a dramatic change, but diet alone wasn't doing it and
he's nowhere near overweight (I suspect he's actually underweight). I've
also learnt from him that it's not just the amount of fat, there are some
foods that are particularly bad, such as scampi. I expect I'll have to get
myself better educated on it, his tendancy is clearly genetic!

Well, any food with "trans fat" is bad, I am learning, so I don't eat
ANYTHING with that kind of fat in it, and you are supposed to eat 200mg (or
it might be grams, I forget now) or less cholesterol a day, so any with more
than that in, I avoid (like eggs - one egg has 215!!! - though egg whites
don't have any). It's a learning process. I've switched to skim milk
instead of 2%, and I was drinking coffees with half cream , half coffee
(instead of milk) almost every day, which I have now cut out. I gotta think
these things must be making a huge difference.

When I was pg with DD 5 years ago, my cholesterol was high, but docs were
not concerned because my "good" cholesterol was very high, and the bad was
low. Now it seems to have flipped around

Anne

Thanks for asking! How are you settling in stateside?