Dentist uses Nitrous Oxide?

Old September 15th 03, 11:08 PM
Mxsmanic

Default Dentist uses Nitrous Oxide?

Wendy Marsden writes:

I had previously asked the dentist if he could do
unscented, apparently he couldn't.

The smell is the nitrous oxide itself. It has a distinct odor, although
it's not really that unpleasant. There's no way to produce "unscented"
nitrous oxide.

What's not clear to me is what happens if we don't get these cavities
filled for months or years.

They are baby teeth, they'll fall out either way. My parents spent a
lot of money on restoration of those teeth in my case, and they lost the
investment when they fell out. Of course you don't want infections or
things like that.

Old September 16th 03, 12:07 AM
carabelli

"Mxsmanic" wrote .....................
They are baby teeth, they'll fall out either way. ..........

Ka-ching

carabelli P.A.

Old September 16th 03, 12:32 AM
Mxsmanic

carabelli writes:

Ka-ching

?

Old September 16th 03, 12:48 AM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS

Mxsmanic wrote:

carabelli writes:

Ka-ching

?

He still has one of dem old cash registers.

Steve

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Old September 16th 03, 01:09 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

Wendy Marsden wrote:

I conclude now that the freaking out was to the sensation of the mask
experience (and maybe flashbacks to his traumatic hospitalization a year
ago) and not a reaction to the drug itself.

Sounds reasonable.

We have an introductory meeting set up for Friday with a new dentist.
We've talked this guy up to our kid, explaining that he is our response to
the kid's fear of the other situation.

Explain to the kid that the other dentist will NEVER be seen
again.

I'm planning on talking to this dentist about prescribing a sedative to
use before restoration work and NOT using nitrous oxide.

Yes ... kids who have had major hospitalization can have a bad
case of "white coat phobia" for months or years afterwards.

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like
politicians invoking morality and children - grab your wallet and/or
Old September 16th 03, 01:13 AM
carabelli

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
carabelli writes:

Ka-ching

?

Deciduous teeth that are lost prematurely *may* allow for mesial shifting of
teeth posterior to the empty site. This *can* impact secondary teeth that
would have erupted normally if their space had been preserved. This doen't
always occur, but it sure can and more often than not.

The Ka-ching was my cash register, I practice orthodontics exclusively.

carabelli

Old September 16th 03, 02:15 AM
Wendy Marsden

In misc.kids carabelli wrote:
Deciduous teeth that are lost prematurely *may* allow for mesial shifting of
teeth posterior to the empty site. This *can* impact secondary teeth that
would have erupted normally if their space had been preserved. This doen't
always occur, but it sure can and more often than not.

I know this. Both of his older siblings are enriching the coffers of an
orthodontist. One sibling, for example, does not have an adult bicuspid
coming in behind a baby tooth. Just isn't there. I'm feel like I work
fine with our orthodontist.

The main reason I want to treat his cavities is that he has tooth
pain. One in particular seems to be causing him problems and it appears
to be tender there when I floss. I'm concerned about it getting infected.

Wendy
Old September 16th 03, 02:44 AM
carabelli

"Wendy Marsden" wrote in message
[...]

I would probably rephrase it to "I am taking advantage of the services my
orthodontist provides and am pleased with the investment". :-)

At least I hope you feel that way 5 - 10 years after their treatment is
completed.

Also, in addition to the comments Dr. Steve posted in this thread, at your
child's next visit, walk in with your child, say hello to everyone and take
a 180 back to the waiting room to read the book you brought. Children feed
off the parent's anxiety. Last week a parent of an 8 yr old decided to come
over and hold the child's hand exactly when I was cementing an appliance
that had been tried in, uneventfully, twice in the previous 3 minutes. That
ensured tears for no reason.

I'm a parent also and understand the empathy we feel. I will never allow a
parent in the back when working on someone under the age of 10 again. They
can come back to discuss, observe other patients (same procedure) etc., but
when it's time to do my job, NO.

I have done this in the past and you would be amazed at the behavior of
children once the parent - life preserver is gone.

Just my two cents worth.

carabelli

Old September 16th 03, 03:17 AM
NOYB

"carabelli" wrote in message

[...]

Agreed. The parent becomes the child's "ally" against the "big, bad
dentist". "Mommy, please don't let him hurt me."

Old September 16th 03, 03:52 AM
iphigenia

carabelli wrote:
Deciduous teeth that are lost prematurely *may* allow for mesial
shifting of teeth posterior to the empty site. This *can* impact
secondary teeth that would have erupted normally if their space had
been preserved.

:nod: That's why I had my son's teeth done. I wasn't willing to let him
spend the next 5-7 years missing teeth, particularly when two of the teeth
that were seriously decaying were second incisors.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net