Bursting the bubble-sheet

Old April 17th 06, 04:39 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

Default Bursting the bubble-sheet

It may seem hard to believe with No Child Left Behind still with us,
but the days of evaluating students with bubble-sheet testing are close
to being over. No Child Left Behind has about run its course.

The signs have been around for years. Privately, at least, college
administrators have questioned the value of the SAT for years. Some
colleges have been so bold as to either remove it from consideration or
downplay it importance. The test that was once touted as opening
colleges to all has done little more than confirm the socioeconomic
status of the test taker.

More recently, the value of the Praxis has been questioned. Designed
to assure that only the best-qualified teachers entered the classroom,
which it failed to do, the Praxis is rapidly becoming associated with
an overpriced and under performing public education system.

Then, there is the granddaddy of them all, the IQ test. Originally
designed in Europe to identify which students might need a little more
assistance in achieving educational goals, a heavily modified version
of the test was imported into the United States for purposes of
promoting Social Darwinism. Its results have even been used to justify
castrating and institutionalizing American citizens for the perceived
crime of being slow!

The result of all of these testing procedures has been an intellectual
inbreeding that penalized contemplation, sanctified abstraction,
rewarded memorization, and demanded conformity. Except among
self-appointed elitists, their passing will not be long mourned.

Old April 19th 06, 02:56 AM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

Opinions wrote:

It may seem hard to believe with No Child Left Behind still with us,
but the days of evaluating students with bubble-sheet testing are close
to being over. No Child Left Behind has about run its course.

Unfortunately, No Child Left Behind is alive and well. It has resulted
in creative teachers no longer being able to teach. This high stakes
test has resulted in a test-driven curriculum for schools with
unacceptable scores.

The signs have been around for years. Privately, at least, college
administrators have questioned the value of the SAT for years. Some
colleges have been so bold as to either remove it from consideration or
downplay it importance. The test that was once touted as opening
colleges to all has done little more than confirm the socioeconomic
status of the test taker.

As a college instructor who has raised two children, I question the
value of SAT scores. However, I do believe we need some way, perhaps a
better way, to determine college entrance.

More recently, the value of the Praxis has been questioned. Designed
to assure that only the best-qualified teachers entered the classroom,
which it failed to do, the Praxis is rapidly becoming associated with
an overpriced and under performing public education system.

I don't believe that the Praxis has anything to do with what you call an
"overpriced and under performing public education system." But I do
question the validity of the Praxis.

Then, there is the granddaddy of them all, the IQ test. Originally
designed in Europe to identify which students might need a little more
assistance in achieving educational goals, a heavily modified version
of the test was imported into the United States for purposes of
promoting Social Darwinism. Its results have even been used to justify
castrating and institutionalizing American citizens for the perceived
crime of being slow!

You were being so rational. Where the hell did this garbage come from?

The result of all of these testing procedures has been an intellectual
inbreeding that penalized contemplation, sanctified abstraction,
rewarded memorization, and demanded conformity. Except among
self-appointed elitists, their passing will not be long mourned

You have equated very many different ideas that are far more complex
than what you say.

Am I responding to greegor, to doan, to opinions, or to the now
now-existent fern?

Interesting post.

LaVonne

Old April 19th 06, 05:38 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

It really isn't that difficult to understand. The grand scheme is
coming unraveled. The silly notion that a few numbers on a sheet of
paper can quantify the worth of human beings is falling apart. Today's
lingering residue is little more than what's left of the misapplication
of Descartes' mechanical universe in which everything had to be
measured and catalogued infinitum. The religion that social engineers
call "science" is failing to deliver what it promised and will one day
be as forsaken as once-honored ancient deities and their crumbled
temples.

Old April 19th 06, 05:44 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

Opinions wrote:
It really isn't that difficult to understand. The grand scheme is
coming unraveled. The silly notion that a few numbers on a sheet of
paper can quantify the worth of human beings is falling apart. Today's
lingering residue is little more than what's left of the misapplication
of Descartes' mechanical universe in which everything had to be
measured and catalogued infinitum. The religion that social engineers
call "science" is failing to deliver what it promised and will one day
be as forsaken as once-honored ancient deities and their crumbled
temples.

And you will replace social "science" with ... ?