pumping and dumping ... nuclear scan

Old September 4th 03, 10:07 PM
kauri

Default pumping and dumping ... nuclear scan

Hi there ... I am scheduled tomorrow to have a nuclear scan done on my chest
.... I something in my lungs...they need to do this to find out what it is

I was told by the staff that I will need to pump and dump for 12 hours after
the scan is done ...

Here are my questions: Are they being overly cautious? ... 12 whole hours??

Should I pump at the same time that DS is being fed the bottle, or should I
wait until I feel full? Keeping in mind, ,that since I won't be nursing, I
wil likely feel fuller more often... DS is 5 1/2 months (I typically can
only pump in the mornings when I feel fullest --- any other time during the
day, I yield nothing!)

I only have 4 bags left in my freezer stash ... that is likely not enough
for the whole day ... I will pump tomorrow morning before I go, to give DH
enough for 5 feedings ... but should I buy some formula in case those 5 bags
won't be enough ... I wouldn't even know where to start with which kind to
buy ... sigh ... I was so proud that DS hasn't "needed" formula.

Or should tomorrow be the day that DS starts solids? .... he will be 6
months in a couple weeks ... and he is definitely ready ... we were planning
on putting it off until the end of September ... The only reservation I have
with solids tomorrow, is that on his first day, he likely won't eat enough
to replace the feedings that I can't nurse for ... or maybe he will be a
champion first day eater and surprise us all ...

TIA for any advice ...
--
...am

"How you ever gonna know if you never dare to try" --Garth Brooks

Old September 4th 03, 10:20 PM
Emily Roysdon

kauri wrote:
Hi there ... I am scheduled tomorrow to have a nuclear scan done on my chest
... I something in my lungs...they need to do this to find out what it is

I was told by the staff that I will need to pump and dump for 12 hours after
the scan is done ...

Here are my questions: Are they being overly cautious? ... 12 whole hours??

Here's a page that might answer your questions:

http://www.kellymom.com/meds/radioisotopes.html

Good luck!

Emily

Old September 5th 03, 06:15 AM
Lara

kauri wrote:

My last remaining question (which I will ask the tech tomorrow) is what will
I have to do with the pump in order to use it again next week, say? Will a
"regular" hot water sterilization do the trick??

Just a wash. Dishwasher or hot soapy water. Same as always.

Lara