Am I being paranoid?

Old December 1st 07, 04:49 PM posted to misc.kids
phelbooth

Default Am I being paranoid?

On Nov 28, 2:56 pm, toypup wrote:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:05:46 -0800 (PST), Beliavsky wrote:
If you look at international comparisons of students on tests,
American children do pretty well in the early grades but fall behind
by high school. This suggests to me that the parenting practices of
most middle class Americans are not impairing kids intellectually.
Maybe you are being paranoid .

I wonder who they test when they do these tests. I wonder if American kids
do well early on because all the kids get tested early on. I wonder if we
do worse later because we test everyone, including special ed kids, while
kids in some other countries can't even attend high school unless their
parents have money or they have passed rigorous tests. Do they test the
kids in other countries like they do in the USA? Does it include kids
tracked into trade schools and non-academic persuits? Maybe kids in some
of those countries have a very high drop-out rate in high school and you're
only testing the cream of the crop.

There is an article online, called "Nation of Wimps" by Hara Marano
(it was published in Psychology Today a couple years back). It talks
about the relationship between parenting skills and the performance of
middle class kids, from young through college. It's easy to read, and
offers some neat insights as to how some types of parenting do detract
from intellectual/cognitive development.

Here's the link

http://psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-3584.html

Fill
Old December 2nd 07, 08:16 PM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Nov 28, 2:10�pm, Psalm Nuclei wrote:
My wife and I (we both work 9 to 5 jobs) are lucky to have someone
that is able to care for our child during the day, a very good friend
that we have known for years. She's about to hit 50, never had a child
of her own, and taking care of a 6 month old is tough for one person.

So here are my questions:

She lets our 6 month old watch a puppet show on Sesame Street for 5
minutes tops, we're ok with that. That's all the TV he gets. When I'm
home watching NFL games on Sunday, sometimes he'll look at the TV but
he never seems interested. Is this going to hurt him? She's not
keeping him in front of the TV all day long.

She gave him a lick of a lollipop one time when she had to go to the
bank. Maybe it was a couple licks, maybe just one. We said no more,
and she understood, but is that a big deal?

I have my own "issues" - when I feel out of control i get real
irritable/edgy and I tend to freak out about things.

Is a little tv here and there and a lick of a lollipop here or there
going to hurt our 6 month old?

The TV isn't going to harm the baby at all. It is *excessive* TV
watching that seems to be the issue, and for various reasons. The TV
should never be a babysitter, although it comes in handy for times
when entertainment is being craved by the children and I need to cook
or shower or something, and that is completely within normal limits. I
usually sit, however, with my children and make comments on what is on
TV for learning purposes. My kids all had a huge vocabulary at the age
of 2 with large and complex sentences and really cute intellectual
phrases. Reading helped that along though too. On the other hand, an
occasional taste of something fun isn't harmful, but since your
caregiver is much older, she may not be aware that recommendations
have changed on what they can or should eat, so she might just need
some help with that. Sweet things like suckers and ice cream are okay
for a taste reaction, but regular introduction and regular servings
can also contribute to them wanting that and preferring it over
healthier items.