DS and eating

Old May 26th 07, 02:07 AM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Default DS and eating

Rosalie B. wrote:
"xkatx" wrote
Yes, and if I'm not looking at her, I'm looking at the 7 month old. Or
trying to concentrate on nursing the 7 month old while I try and feed myself
and keep her hands out of my food or whatever. Or I'm trying to listen to N
tell me about his day at work or DS's day at school. I shouldn't have to be
watching the 6 year old like a hawk, but I seem to have to anyways. Also,
I've noticed, he's sneaky as can be. If, keeping to examples already out, I
am taking DD2's tray and plate away, he'll do it then as it only takes a
second for me to turn my back and it to happen.

This strikes me as a lot more complicated than just an eating problem.
He's either doing this on purpose to be annoying or he has to do it
for some reason of his own.

It does sound like there's an element of a power
struggle. It seems like for whatever reason, he doesn't
like the rules (reasonable as they may be) and this is
his way of pushing back.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old May 26th 07, 03:34 AM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Penny Gaines wrote:

Banty wrote:
[snip]
The Asians have been mixing their ingredients for unknown time. I have never
heard of picky eating being a problem in Asia.

Maybe it isn't a big news item, but the parents I know from India and China (and
other places, but India and China largely in my tech firm) do report some picky
eating problems. They like this; this don't like that. They leave this, hog
that.

If they don't have picky eaters maybe it's because they wait until later to
introduce bland foods ;-)

The problems with picky eaters go back centuries: one of my books has a
journal entry from the 1700s about a small child refusing to eat
something. Heck, don't you all know the poem that starts
"Whatever's the matter with Mary Jane",
and has the refrain
"It's lovely rice pudding for dinner again"

(Rice pudding is a lovely bland dish of rice cooked into mush.)

Well I-all don't know that poem and never heard of it.

HOWEVER, I agree that there have been picky eaters for quite a long
time. My mom, born in 1909 was one. She hated fish because of the
bones and would make her mother mash up the fish with her fingers to
be sure there were no bones in it.

I've posted this before, but my grandmother - at her wits end -
finally went to the doctor and what he told her to do was to put my
mother to bed and not let her out of the bed and give her nothing to
eat but mashed potatoes and blanc mange for a week. Blanc mange is
even blander than rice pudding (because we always at least had raisins
in our rice pudding.

Old May 26th 07, 03:50 AM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
toypup

On Fri, 25 May 2007 23:54:44 +0100, Penny Gaines wrote:

(Rice pudding is a lovely bland dish of rice cooked into mush.)

Is that the same as rice porridge? I love rice porridge. It's not so
bland when it's cooked in chicken stock.
Old May 26th 07, 03:55 AM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Nikki

"Clisby" wrote in message
link.net...

Rosalie B. wrote:

First - when I was cooking, mixed vegetables were significantly
nastier and also more expensive than buying the vegetables separately.

I think mixed vegetables are still pretty bad (assuming you mean the
frozen kind). I don't know about cost, since I don't buy them.

I like them in soup and rice and stuff but rarely use them like that anymore
because the Hunter and Luke won't eat them anymore. I still buy them
though - the babies think they are candy, lol.

Veggies in South Dakota are not so good so whether or not frozen are icky
probably depends on your point of reference

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old May 26th 07, 05:02 AM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Rosalie B.

toypup wrote:

On Sat, 26 May 2007 02:34:53 GMT, Rosalie B. wrote:
Well I-all don't know that poem and never heard of it.

HOWEVER, I agree that there have been picky eaters for quite a long
time. My mom, born in 1909 was one. She hated fish because of the
bones and would make her mother mash up the fish with her fingers to
be sure there were no bones in it.

I should note that my grandmother only had two children and one of
them (my mom's little brother) died when he was about 4. So my
grandmother was a helicopter parent.

I've posted this before, but my grandmother - at her wits end -
finally went to the doctor and what he told her to do was to put my
mother to bed and not let her out of the bed and give her nothing to
eat but mashed potatoes and blanc mange for a week. Blanc mange is
even blander than rice pudding (because we always at least had raisins
in our rice pudding.

Did it work?

Yes.
Old May 26th 07, 05:45 AM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
xkatx

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Rosalie B. wrote:
[...]

This might seem fair and reasonable.
I have noticed that the worst time for this is at dinner, and I've also
noticed his behaviour in general seems to be less than desireable at this
time of the year when the kids are all outside playing. DS has picked up a
real mouth and attitude, and it does seem to stem from these other boys.
Yes, I know DS is the only one who should be responsible for his own
behaviour like this, but it's just frustrating. The food is the first
battle I would like to pick and conquer with him.
Winter comes, the neighbourhood kids aren't all outside, and he turns back
into the little boy that he can be - listens and is just a typical boy for
his age. Spring comes around and the other kids come out and well, it just
seems to bring along some major issues, and yes, at times, it does appear
that he just doesn't like the rules. I think this *might* have something to
do with the simple fact that he does have rules and expectations from us.
These other kids, OTOH, don't seem to have that from their parents. It's
not uncommon for me to see one or a few of these boys in the neighbourhood
out wandering around at 9, 10pm. On a school night. Not that it matters,
but I wouldn't wander aimlessly around at that hour, I would never allow my
child to either. Many of the other kids - 97% of the time the other parents
have no idea (or seem to care) where their children are or what they're
doing.

Old May 26th 07, 08:27 AM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Penny Gaines

toypup wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2007 23:54:44 +0100, Penny Gaines wrote:

(Rice pudding is a lovely bland dish of rice cooked into mush.)

Is that the same as rice porridge? I love rice porridge. It's not so
bland when it's cooked in chicken stock.

No. It's cooked in milk, with sugar, in the oven for several hours, and
eaten for dessert.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old May 26th 07, 08:31 AM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Penny Gaines

Rosalie B. wrote:
Penny Gaines wrote:

[snip]
The problems with picky eaters go back centuries: one of my books has a
journal entry from the 1700s about a small child refusing to eat
something. Heck, don't you all know the poem that starts
"Whatever's the matter with Mary Jane",
and has the refrain
"It's lovely rice pudding for dinner again"

(Rice pudding is a lovely bland dish of rice cooked into mush.)

Well I-all don't know that poem and never heard of it.

It's by AA Milne, who wrote the original bboks about Chrisopher
Robin and Winnie the Pooh (I think in the 1930s).

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old May 26th 07, 01:00 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Welches

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Penny Gaines wrote:

Banty wrote:
[...]

I take it you don't like it. You need it properly made not school dinners or
Ambroisier.

Well I-all don't know that poem and never heard of it.

It's AA Milne (of Winnie the Pooh).
"What is the matter with Mary Jane
She's crying with all her might and main
And she won't eat her dinner-rice pudding again-
What is the matter with Mary Jane?

What is the matter with Mary Jane
I've promised her dolls and a daisy chain
And a book about animals-all in vain-
What is the matter with Mary Jane?

What is the matter with Mary Jane
She's perfectly well and hasn't a pain
But look at her now-she's beginning again-
What is the matter with Mary Jane?

What is the matter with Mary Jane
I've promised her sweets and a ride on the train
And I've begged her to stop for a bit and explain-
What is the matter with Mary Jane?

What is the matter with Mary Jane
She's perfectly well and hasn't a pain
And it's lovely rice pudding for dinner again-
What is the matter with Mary Jane?"

Or that's what I remember of it anyway. I think it's in "When we were very
young" but it could be "Now we are 6".
Dh would sympathise with Mary Jane. Rice pudding is one of the few things
that really does turn his stomach. Personally I quite like it (as long as
it's home made not Ambroisier) I suspect my children might like it, so maybe
I'll try it at some point. They'd like stirring the jam in anyway.
Debbie

6 mos eating Nicole Breastfeeding 25 May 4th 07 09:12 PM
DD not eating well Jenny Breastfeeding 4 April 10th 07 06:31 PM
NB not eating enough Shell Breastfeeding 16 November 23rd 05 02:27 AM
what are you eating?? ted Pregnancy 25 January 28th 04 05:59 PM
How much should my 1 yo be eating?? A&G&K Breastfeeding 10 August 22nd 03 09:43 PM