OB app't

Old July 22nd 08, 06:52 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

Default OB app't

I had my first OB appointment a week ago Monday.
All went fine, nothing unusual,nothing spectacular. EDD is still marked for
Feb 7 '09.
I did ask my OB, though, about DD2 and her still breastfeeding. It was at
the very end, just as she was walking out the door.
I simply said that DD2 is still nursing, although not very much, and if this
is ok or not. Dr said she recommends DD2 stops nursing completely. I
didn't get a chance to go further or ask why or whatever.
Should she stop nursing? I do know very few people personally that have
nursed while pregnant and did the tandem nursing thing.
The fact that my OB straight up said stop nursing is why I'm asking here,
hoping someone might have a little info on it.
I know someone earlier recommended a book about tandem nursing/nursing while
PG, but I just really don't have the time or ability to sit down and read a
book. I just don't have that luxury anymore LOL
DD2 nurses seldom. Usually first thing in the morning, sometimes before nap
time, on occasion before supper, guaranteed each time she's
sad/hurt/whatever and before bed.
Rather than just cut her off completely, I've just sort of not offered. I
haven't asked her if she wants to nurse, but if she asks, we do nurse.
She's 21 months in just a couple days now. She asks for boobies and gets
them, but I no longer ask her if she wants, so I find that I offer more than
she asks. Should I just let her wean completely like that? Or should I
keep going and offering? She never turns down an offer

Old July 22nd 08, 07:06 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

Kat schrieb:
snip
I know someone earlier recommended a book about tandem nursing/nursing while
PG, but I just really don't have the time or ability to sit down and read a
book. I just don't have that luxury anymore LOL

I read while nursing in bed. It's the only thing I can do during that
time except sleep, maybe that's an option, just a thought, because I
thought I'd never be able to read again back when Sam was still little.

DD2 nurses seldom. Usually first thing in the morning, sometimes before nap
time, on occasion before supper, guaranteed each time she's
sad/hurt/whatever and before bed.
Rather than just cut her off completely, I've just sort of not offered. I
haven't asked her if she wants to nurse, but if she asks, we do nurse.
She's 21 months in just a couple days now. She asks for boobies and gets
them, but I no longer ask her if she wants, so I find that I offer more than
she asks. Should I just let her wean completely like that? Or should I
keep going and offering? She never turns down an offer

Personally I'd keep nursing if you fell comfortable with the thought of
possibly tandem nursing. If you feel kind of meh about that I'd see
about her weaning "on her own" with a little help from you, i.e.
offering something else instead of nursing when she's sad/hurt/whatever.
I'd just offer cuddles/reading a book or something and if she insists on
nursing I'd still nurse, but if she's ok with your alternative that
might be worth a shot.
Once the baby's here it might be really hard for her to wean if you
decide tandem nursing is not for you (then again it might not be, sadly
kids don't come with a manual though I sure wish there was a FAQ section).

cu
nicole
Old July 22nd 08, 08:03 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nikki

Kat wrote:
I had my first OB appointment a week ago Monday.
All went fine, nothing unusual,nothing spectacular. EDD is still marked for
Feb 7 '09.

Congrats

I did ask my OB, though, about DD2 and her still breastfeeding. It was at
the very end, just as she was walking out the door.
I simply said that DD2 is still nursing, although not very much, and if this
is ok or not. Dr said she recommends DD2 stops nursing completely.

My doctor said it was perfectly fine and to do whatever I wanted. My
first pregnancy was full term without complications. I nursed my first
son the first 5mos I was pregnant with my second. This did not cause
any problems for me. He was nursing multiple times a day too.

She asks for boobies and gets
them, but I no longer ask her if she wants, so I find that I offer more than
she asks. Should I just let her wean completely like that? Or should I
keep going and offering? She never turns down an offer

I was ready for my son to wean so I never offered, lol. If you want her
to wean this will be a relatively easy time to do so. Just don't ever
offer. As your pregnancy progresses there is a high probability that
your milk supply will dwindle markedly and she'll probably self wean
then if you make an effort to provide her with milk or snacks during the
time she usually asks to nurse. I found it miserable to nurse while
pregnant but some people want to keep nursing soooo.....then keep
offering

--

Nikki, mama to 4 boys.
Old July 22nd 08, 08:50 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Rebecca Jo

"Kat" wrote

I did ask my OB, though, about DD2 and her still breastfeeding. It was at
the very end, just as she was walking out the door.
I simply said that DD2 is still nursing, although not very much, and if
this is ok or not. Dr said she recommends DD2 stops nursing completely.
I didn't get a chance to go further or ask why or whatever.
Should she stop nursing? I do know very few people personally that have
nursed while pregnant and did the tandem nursing thing.

I nursed my older son all through my 2nd pregnancy and had no problems
whatsoever. I tandem nursed the two boys for 6 months before weaning
Alexander. I plan on tandem nursing any further children we have as well.
You should do what you're comfortable with.

--
Mama to Alexander 6/6/05 and Jack 7/7/07

Old July 22nd 08, 09:12 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

This is one of those questions that I think is better left unasked, unless
you are looking for permission to wean your daughter. It seems like so many
doctors are not as pro breastfeeding as they purport to be, and will tell a
woman to stop for a myriad of reasons -- pregnancy, meds, illness, whatever.

I say follow your gut and do what you are ready to do. If that means
weaning your daughter by not offering the breast any longer, then do that.
If that means continuing to offer the breast at all the regular times and
continuing the breastfeeding relationship for now, then do that. I don't
think that there is any medical reason that you HAVE to stop breastfeeding
your daughter, unless you are super high risk or something.
--

Jamie Clark

www.ClarkDigitalArts.com

"Kat" wrote

Old July 23rd 08, 03:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

"NL" wrote in message
Kat schrieb:
snip
[...]

Well, DD2 is still my "baby" - of all of them, she's the only one that is
clingy, needy... I still can't usually walk out of the room without her
being a little less than impressed... I'm sure I baby her, or something
(everyone points out what a big suck she is lol!) and I know DS completely
self weaned around 18 months. He was the longest (aside from DD2) with
nursing. The others don't care if I'm here or there. They never did. I
could easily leave them or walk out of the room and they wouldn't care -
DD2, OTOH, is completely opposite! I do enjoy the nursing still.
I can't see it being a huge deal to keep going, if I/DD2 wants to - if it
was a huge issue, I'd think that my OB would stop in her tracks, tell me to
stop and tell me why to stop - which she didn't do. She just said stop, end
of story.
Sometimes DD2 does get a little... interesting... She's known to pull at my
shirt, and sometimes draw a big scene about it lol I hear enough of
"BOOBIE!" and have enough of her pulling at me to help herself that it's a
pain to not do it - and I do still enjoy it. She's the only really cuddly
one at this point, still, and it gives me an opportunity to (obviously) keep
an eye on her, sit down, relax and have her calm down too.
Maybe I'll just keep going with the not offer/not refuse idea. It seems to
go fairly well and it's fairly easy. It's not like she's still relying on
breast milk for her main or only source of nutrition.