Iowa Custody Laws.......Anyone?

Old February 22nd 07, 09:30 PM posted to alt.child-support
CB

Default Iowa Custody Laws.......Anyone?

Hello All

OK, here is my scenerio.....

I have been divorced for almost 3 years now from my 1st wife. I
recently remarried to a women with 2 children of her own who's father
pays the state minimum of $75.00 a month because He chooses not to
work. (That's totally different story) We all moved back to the town
(within 2 blocks of my kids) where my children live with their mother
and her new live-in and new baby.

Since I have lived here at this location for the past 6 months, I have
seen my own 2 children only every other weekend (which is stated on
the divorce decree) and only about 6 other times for a few hours
during the evening and maybe an extra day or 2 when they didn't have
school.

I recently hired a lawyer to help me get joint custody of my kids.
Now from what I've heard, and from what my lawyer is telling me, is
that because of a circumstantial change in my lifestyle, and according
to the NEW Iowa laws, There should be no reason that I can't get a
50/50 custody with no child-support payments either way out of it.

Now this fella (Bill) I hired seems to be on the straight and narrow.
First of all, He doesn't seem to be too worried about me paying him.
He said that I might spend around $1000.00 if it goes to trial and
hasn't asked for any money at this point. Although I have paid him
$400.00 to this point ($200.00 an hour) he still doesn't seem to be in
any need of getting any more. In fact I always bring it up to him
that I probably owe him.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if I have a chance in Hell of getting what
Bill says according to the new Iowa laws. According to Bill He claims
I meet all of the conditions for Joint Custody
http://www.judicial.state.ia.us/Self...ld_Custody/and
he doesn't seem to be too worried about winning this thing. In FACT,
and this may worry me a bit, Bill talked with my Ex's lawyer and HER
lawyer even said to Him that the law is what it is and that she didn't
have much of a chance.

The only reason this has come to this is that my Ex and her Live-in
have become unreasonable with about everything. For example, my son
isn't doing that well in school so I have recently been stopping by
every other day or so to see him and his teacher about different
things and to follow up. The other day, my SON tell me when we are
leaving the school, that "The Live-In" says that I can't give him a
ride home anymore because he needs the exercise. Who the F*** does he
think He is?!!! And the other day I stopped by their house
unannounced to drop off a bag of stuff my kids left with me during OUR
weekend and my son tells me then that I'm not supposed to stop over
and see them at THEIR OWN HOUSE anymore. It's a damn control thing
with this woman. And I think I'm getting to her!!!!!!

I'd love to hear any responses. I may vent some more if I have time.
Thanks for any reponses and thoughts in advance.

CB ~