new baby coming -books for preschooler?

Old January 8th 04, 02:49 PM
Irene

Default new baby coming -books for preschooler?

Karen wrote in message thlink.net...
I got ds a baby doll and sling ages ago. He mostly carries Elmo in the
sling, but he does like to take care of his doll sometimes. He goes
through little phases of being really interested and then not so much.
The doll is 20", so it's newborn size and he has a little diaper bag
with a few diaper covers and clothes that were his as a newborn. It gave
him the idea all on his own that the new baby could wear the clothes
that don't fit him anymore!

-K-

Ooh, I had forgotten that MayaWrap has doll slings! I just checked
out the website - I can't believe it's as much as the full-size! (Or,
at least, what mine cost new - I didn't check the current prices.) It
would be way cool to have matching slings - but I'm not sure I can get
myself to shell out quite that much, and I'm not sure I have the
time/energy to make one.

I'd been planning on giving ds the baby doll after our baby is born,
like in the hospital when he comes to visit. He does play with my old
dollhouse occasionally, and also the one at grandma's house (I have 5
nieces), though mainly to rearrange furniture and such. He does do a
bit of nurturing type play - he tucks dolls into beds, and tries to
feed his stuffed animals. One night, he decided his trucks wanted
some of his milk - that got to be quite a mess! So, I'm hopeful on
the doll idea.

Kind of going back to the book thing - the "book" that has inspired
the most talk about baby is that lately he's been wanting to look
through our photo albums. I've mentioned how certain toys were his
favorites when he was a little baby, and the new baby will get to play
with them, and stuff like that.

Ramblingly,
Irene
Old January 9th 04, 08:39 PM
Cheryl S.

"Jan Andrea" wrote in message
Most of the books I looked at in the library went
"older child learns of new sib, child is jealous, child
gradually learns to appreciate new sib". I didn't want
to make him think he had to be jealous, KWIM? If
your older child is already feeling threatened, though,
maybe one of those would also be helpful.

I also refused to read to Julie any books with that type of plot. One
thing I did that I haven't seen mentioned, once I became pregnant I
started pointing it out to her whenever I saw siblings together. I
tried very much to project the attitude that having a sibling was a
totally normal, good, thing. So far she's acted, at worst, neutral
toward Jaden but more often enjoys talking to him, "performing" in front
of him (jumping around, singing, building block towers on his swing
tray, etc.) bringing him toys and helping me take care of him. She
brushes his hair constantly, once in a while wants to get out a new
diaper or throw the old one away, and always wants to help with his
bath.

Unfortunately I wasn't so quick when it came to the "first day of
school" books. It wasn't until too late that I realized the book I was
reading to her was all about how frightened the child was of going to
school, even though in the end everything was OK and the child enjoyed
school. Naturally it was the frightened part that made the biggest
impression.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 9 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.