Bottle Wamer or aka Baby Products Reviews

Old January 8th 04, 05:43 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Default Bottle Wamer or aka Baby Products Reviews

Susanne Koenig wrote:

Uh, wouldn't that take a lot lot longer than five minutes???

I wouldn't think so. The amount of water that you simmer is only about
1 cm deep. Then you would only be heating up, what, 90 ml of formula?
I would imagine that would only take 2 or 3 minutes. After all, it's
not like you're melting chocolate. You don't want the formula hot, but
just warm, right?

See if you can borrow one and then heat up some room temperature cow's
milk to see how long it would take. That's what I would do. If it
takes too long, then all you are out is a bit of time and some milk.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old January 8th 04, 07:56 AM
Jamie Clark

Susanne,
"But I'm looking at having a c-section and was hoping to just roll over,
grab the bottle, stick it in, and take care of it that way. "

In that case I'd go ahead and make up the bottle before you go to bed, and
leave it out on your bedside table. That's what I did. Again, Taylor
didn't mind if it was cool or cold, as long as it was forthcoming...

It sounds like we're pretty similar. I know what we did wasn't recommended,
but it seemed to work okay for us. I didn't use the same bottle to save
formula, although it probably did save some. It just seemed convenient, and
especially in the beginning, when she was eating every other hour, illogical
to throw away formula that wasn't bad or spoiled. I did toss stuff that was
out for an extended period of time, like 6 hours. Also, regarding our tap
water here in Northern California, it's exceptionally clean and tasty, so we
don't have the same issues or worries that some communities might have.

Finally, although you don't want your house to be freezing cold, you don't
have to suddenly jack up the heat to 70 degrees at night, just because you
have the baby. The newest recommendations are that comfortable temps to
you, are likely comfortable to your baby, as long as they are correctly
dressed and/or swaddled. I don't remember the actual temps, but it was
discussed in my baby books.

When we brought Taylor back to the in-laws house in North Carolina after she
was born, they kept asking about the night time temperatures, and telling me
that they would turn it up. I told them repeatedly that it was fine as is
(about 65-68 I think), but they were convinced that it had to be warm for
the baby. I had to tell them that many things had changed since their kids
(33, 35) were babies, and that Dr.'s now recommended a lower temp. It was
pretty funny, since it was ongoing.

They were also amazed that A. we made the formula from regular old tapwater,
B. didn't need to sterilize everything repeatedly, and C. fed it to her
cold. Amazed.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clark_guest,
Password: Guest
Password

Handmade Baby Blankets -- www.geocities.com/digit_the_cat/Blankets.html

Old January 8th 04, 08:35 AM
alissa

"Susanne Koenig" wrote in message
Hi, everyone.

We just moved into this house in October from an apartment that had a
microwave. I used a microwave last time for formula, being very careful,

of
course (it was a little one with very little power). I don't want to buy

microwave for just baby stuff; I have actually enjoyed NOT having one...
you'd be surprised the amount of kitchen work you get done when you're
waiting on a kettle as opposed to a beep.

So, I was wondering if someone had a good bottle warmer to recommend.

I've
got a couple on eBay I'm looking at sniping (www.auctionsniper.com), but

I'm
not sure which one to get. One says it keeps two bottles cool and then
heats it up in five minutes, and the other says about the same. One's

the
Safety First, and the other's a First Years. They did neck and neck on
Amazon, CY, so that review didn't do me much good. :-) Target also has
reviews... saved me quite a bit on buying a spot cleaner here a while

back.

I was wondering if the cool part really works... I was thinking I would

put
a couple of bottles in before we (try!) to go to sleep and then warm them

up
as we need them, but I'm worried they might not stay so cool. I'm not an
ultra-cautious mother, but I do like them to stay very cold until I need
them.

(And no, breastfeeding is not an option).

Sk

I bought one of those insulated cups that has a lid ( you see people

drinking coffee from them, but it was short and wide, whenever I was out I
just got an inch of boiling water in it a popped the bottle in for a few
mins, much cheaper than buying a bottle warmer, mind you I didn't have to
worry about other kids getting scalded. I used a microwave at home.
Alissa

Old January 8th 04, 01:40 PM
Sophie

I usually have a kettle on the back burner on low... this may be a
thought.
But the whole point is not to have to get up to go to the kitchen, esp

since
it is a tile floor and REALLY cold I would have to get up, stumble for
slippers, go to the kitchen... meantime, poor baby is still hungry.

Methinks we might just get that microwave after all... I'll just leave my
slippers in the kitchen! LOL

Sk

Personally I'd get a microwave. I use mine several times a day for all
kinds of things. And especially with a baby and heating up formula, I'd die
without my microwave.

My other suggestion would be to have a baby bottle in your room with the
formula powder in it, a glass with enough water in it, when baby wakes up
add water to bottle, shake, feed.

Sophie
#4 due 7/18/04

Old January 8th 04, 03:29 PM
Susanne Koenig

[...]

Yeah, I've been swimming in that water... :-) Good diving up there, too;
you can see forever.

I think that's a good point, just leaving it there... I'm thinking that I
will probably just get the warmer because I can get it so cheap. I think I
can get one sent here half price from eBay. I think most of us leave a
bottle out somewhere, pick it up, and go, eh, looks pretty good to me! I
will try him out on room temperature formula. It might work to keep a
powder stocked bottle by the bed and a carafe of warm water...

Finally, although you don't want your house to be freezing cold, you don't
have to suddenly jack up the heat to 70 degrees at night, just because you
have the baby. The newest recommendations are that comfortable temps to
you, are likely comfortable to your baby, as long as they are correctly
dressed and/or swaddled. I don't remember the actual temps, but it was
discussed in my baby books.

I found my daughter suffered no discomfort at all, as long as it was
comfortable for us. I think I'll be turning the temp up because dagnabit, I
won't be pregnant anymore and therefore, no longer an inferno. Should have
seen my poor family whining during Christmas. They'd be bundled up in
sweaters and stuff saying they were freezing, I'd be in short sleeves going,
"Really?"

When we brought Taylor back to the in-laws house in North Carolina after

she
was born, they kept asking about the night time temperatures, and telling

me
that they would turn it up. I told them repeatedly that it was fine as is
(about 65-68 I think), but they were convinced that it had to be warm for
the baby. I had to tell them that many things had changed since their

kids
(33, 35) were babies, and that Dr.'s now recommended a lower temp. It was
pretty funny, since it was ongoing.

We were in a one bedroom last time and had the baby in a 12 x 10 foot
walk-in closet. Crib fit perfect on one side. My MIL kept saying she
wasn't getting enough air, even going so far as to call my mother and ask
her to talk us into getting the baby out of the closet. She was also a
bundler, being from New Jersey. It was an ongoing battle. The next year,
she actually sent us a snowsuit. Yeaaaaaaaaaaah, I've seen snow in
Mississippi five times in thirty years. Reeeeallly got a lot of use out of
that. (At least it was cute).

They were also amazed that A. we made the formula from regular old

tapwater,
B. didn't need to sterilize everything repeatedly, and C. fed it to her
cold. Amazed.
--

I'll give it a whirl. It's encouraging to know that anyone takes it cold,
really.

Sk

Old January 8th 04, 06:43 PM
Nikki

"Susanne Koenig"

But
I'm looking at having a c-section and was was hoping to just roll over, grab
the bottle, stick it in, and take care of it that way. My husband will soon
switch to nights, so I will be on my own.

I'd keep a small crock pot by the bed and/or in the kitchen. Keep a
plain bottle of water in there (on low and no lid it should always
just stay warm...not get to hot). Then when the baby wakes up dump a
pre-measured amount of formula in and shake.

They had a crock pot at one of the daycares I used and I thought it
was pretty smart. We had a bottle warmer and the milk would be
scalding hot coming out of that thing so we never used it.

You can also get pretty cheap micorwaves so that might be the way to
go :-)

--

Nikki