c-section experiances.

Old January 8th 04, 08:33 AM
tracy

Default c-section experiances.

Hello all.

If possible could anyone who had a c-section please tell me about
their experiences. I had one myself 6mnths ago and as many of my
friends don't yet have children i find myself with no one to talk to.
1.What were the reasons for your section. 2.Did you have an epidural
or general. 3.if epidural what did you feel? how long did you have
pain relief for? 4. any other problems following the section? 5. any
other memories?

my experiences.
1. I was in hospital for approx 4 weeks before my son was born by
section due to hypertension. The hospital tried different drugs to
lower my BP with no luck, and the only option to lower my Bp was to
deliver the baby.

2. I had an epidural. Personally i don't know how as i am scared stiff
of needles. The only uncomfortable thing about having the epidural was
a sensation of pins and needles down my leg.

3. see above

4. The only problems after the section was a slight infection at sight
of op. Also i had to have a blood transfusion.

5. i had pain relief for approx a day and a half.

6. i have quite a few memories. My mom with me for the birth and i
remember laughing at her as she walked into the theater and the
surgeon telling me to stop giggling as he wouldn't be able to cut
straight. When DS was born i remember crying and saying to mom that i
would now have to buy my dad a racehorse as he so would have liked a
granddaughter. When son was a few weeks old and i was taking him to
baby clinic, talking to a girl i know and she saying i took the easy
option having a c-section.

Also thinking back every night for about three days following the
birth i was given an anal suppository of some sort, silly me didn't
ask what it was for at the time. Any ideas.

thanks for replies (if any)
Tracy & DS Daniel Ben
Old January 8th 04, 10:20 AM
Taniwha grrrl

"tracy" wrote in message

1.What were the reasons for your section.

Failure to progress in second stage I guess.

2.Did you have an epidural
or general.

I had two failed epidurals and a spinal in the end.

3.if epidural what did you feel?

Umm nothing, I think that's the point...lol

how long did you have
pain relief for?

Weeks. I had Morphine for 24 via my line, and then a
concoction of pain killers by mouth until about 2 weeks post
op. I take 1200 gms of Ibuprofen a day any way for my
arthritis so I guess I was always covered by some sort of
pain relief from that.

4. any other problems following the section?

2 blood transfusions and anaemia, but I healed fine, no
complications wound wise.

Also thinking back every night for about three days

following the
birth i was given an anal suppository of some sort, silly

me didn't
ask what it was for at the time. Any ideas.

Panadol probably, at least that's what I had.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Old January 8th 04, 12:43 PM
Sophie

If possible could anyone who had a c-section please tell me about
their experiences. I had one myself 6mnths ago and as many of my
friends don't yet have children i find myself with no one to talk to.

I've had 3 - 1998, 1999, 2001, and will be having my 4th and last in July.

1.What were the reasons for your section.

#1 - unplanned but not emergency, cord was around her neck
#2, 3, and 4 - planned

2.Did you have an epidural or general.

Spinal for all 3

3.if epidural what did you feel?

#1 and #2 - nothing, just pressure
#3 - EVERYTHING!

how long did you have pain relief for?

Just in the hospital. I needed the Motrin for my boobs not my incision.

4. any other problems following the section?

None with any of them physically, some emotional problems after #3 due to no
anesthesia and my husband missing the birth cos of the incompetant hospital
staff

5. any other memories?

With #1 I remember the anesthesiologist joking "great now we've missed
Friends" she was born at almost 8:30 on a Thursday night - lol. And mostof
the hospital staff was there. I'm sure a c-section at a remote Navy hospital
is a big deal.
With #2 we had to ask the Dr what the baby's sex was. They were so used to
everyone finding out beforehand so they didn't say anything.
With #3 just medical things, like my bladder being adhered to my uterus, my
uterus being hard to sew back up cos it was paper-thin, stuff like that.
Not many good memories or joking around that time, I'll tell ya.

No idea what the suppository would be for.

Sophie
#4 due 7/18/04

Old January 8th 04, 04:24 PM
daisy

"tracy" wrote in message
[...]

I had one because of fetal distress. I was given general because I had a
fever that day. Since this was my first, I dont have anything to compair it
to. I was glad they gave me a general because he was taken to nicu right
away and stayed there for two days then he was flown to a city with more
adiquate facilities.
I did end up with an infection, but I think that was because I did way too
much post surgury. I did go with my son, so I was only in the hospital for
36 hours, then I traveled 250 miles and, of course, was VERY stressed. I
had pain relief for about 24 hrs IV that I was able to administer myself,
but I only pushed it twice because I didnt want to get addicted (silly!!).
I did start twitching according to DH when the DR started cutting me, so
they gave me more anistisia. When I woke up from surgury, I thought I had
woken up in the middle and was saying IT HURTS IT HURTS!!.

Old January 8th 04, 04:39 PM
Donna

"tracy" wrote in message
Hello all.

If possible could anyone who had a c-section please tell me about
their experiences.

1.What were the reasons for your section.

I'm short stature, and my baby was very big.

2.Did you have an epidural

Yep.

or general. 3.if epidural what did you feel?

Not a thing.

how long did you have
pain relief for?

A few days. No biggie.

4. any other problems following the section?

None.

5. any
other memories?

I loved my delivery. I loved being awake, and laughing with my husband
during the surgery. It was the best day of my life to date.

Donna

Old January 8th 04, 04:56 PM
mbajema

tracy wrote in message . ..
[...]

1. Failure to progress past 4 cm within 36 hour period.

2. Epidural

3. No problems with them placing the epidural. Took away all the
pain, and I had no residual effects from it.

4. As far as pain relief goes, I took some while in the hospital and
took home an Rx for vicodin (I think) but never filled it. I had some
pain, but not that bad.

Memories...hmmm. They almost forgot to go get my dh so he could be
there in the OR with me. In fact, I had to remind them! They brought
him just as they were making the first cut. Is that TMI? Sorry! I
remember how great the anistesiologist (sp?) was. How he just kept
talking to me and dh, telling us exactly what they were doing to me.
I even had a mirror above me and he told me exactly where to look, if
I so desired. And I actually watched the whole thing. It was a
little surreal, and it's been almost four years, so memories have
faded a bit. It wasn't exactly what I had planned, but it wasn't
horrible by any means.

Thanks for asking!

Mary
Old January 8th 04, 05:48 PM
Nancy Verzich

1.What were the reasons for your section.

My first one was in 1986...I woke up a week before my due date with severe
bleeding that turned out to be placenta abruptia. My second one was in
1996, planned, but she also started having placenta abruptia as confirmed by
amnio at 37 weeks.

2.Did you have an epidural
or general.

For my first one, I had general, since it was an emergency. My daughter was
born with a spinal. I don't know the reason why it was a spinal as opposed
to an epidural, but maybe because I was overweight at the time and spinals
work better? I dunno.

3.if epidural what did you feel? how long did you have
pain relief for?

With the spinal, it was weird, cuz they were having a hard time hitting
right spot. Once they finally got it, my legs went flying into the air and I
kicked a nurse standing in front of me LOL. Then the doctor yells at me to
sit still...I was like "Hey, YOU did that, not me!" LOL The only thing I
felt during the surgery was after they had gotten my daughter out and had
scraped the uterus, they have to "push" everything back in. I FELT that!! It
didn't necessarily HURT, just like someone punched me really hard in the
stomach, like the pressure. Right at that exact moment, they had brought my
daughter over real close to my face for me to see...and I almost threw up on
her! LOL It's funny now, but it wasn't then.

4. any other problems following the section? 5. any
other memories?

After my son was born, I had a little post partum depression, but just in
the hospital for a couple days afterwards. My incision hurt like HELL and I
couldn't move very well, so I would tell them to keep the baby in the
nursery to feed him. I was 19 and unmarried, so I really had no one there to
help and when they would bring him in, they wouldn't generally answer my
calls when I asked for him to be put back into the bassinette. So I finally
got to the point where I would just leave him in the nursery until someone
in my family was there with me. I ended up having a really high fever and
some sort of infection (can't remember now, its been almost 18 yrs lol) and
I literally could NOT walk down the hall, I was so sick and dizzy. My dr
told me I couldn't leave the hospital until my fever went down, so I held
ice water in my mouth til it would get warm and then I'd swallow. By the
time they took my temp, I was normal LOL. When I got home tho, I was afraid
to take off the binder thing they gave me, and I was afraid to sleep in my
bed...I was worried that I would turn over and bust open or something. I did
have a little infection in my incision I guess, but nothing major. But for
two months I still felt pain and soreness.
After my daughter was born...well, lets see. In the hospital, the first day,
I had the morphine pump and didn't want to use it, cuz I wasn't really
feeling any pain. But the nurses and my hubby insisted that I use it anyway.
My hubby's family was all there from out of town (this was the day after
xmas!) and many friends stopped by too...so here I am in the middle of this
roomful of people....and I'm drifting in and out. When I was awake, I was
absolutely awake....but then right in the middle of a sentence I would go to
sleep LOL. It was funny to me, even then! But I couldn't help it, I guess it
was the morphine. Anyway, when everyone (besides hubby) finally left, they
told me to get some sleep, but I don't sleep well anywhere else but home, so
I had a hard time. Finally they gave me a shot of something and I went to
sleep. I was a smoker, so I couldn't wait to get that first cigarette in me
LOL. On the second day, I had hubby wheel me out to the parking garage to
smoke. I felt like crap for some reason, but had to have that cigarette!
Anyway, this went on for a while, but I really REALLY felt bad....horrible
headache and everything. I also have an addiction to diet pepsi (or did
then, since her birth I can only drink diet coke now...anyone else have any
experiences like that??) and I hadn't had a diet pepsi in a long time, so
hubby went to get me a couple. My headache went away for the most part, so
they figured that it was just lack of caffeine. But, later on in the day,
the headache came back with a vengeance.....the dr. came in and told me that
the hole where they had the spinal in was leaking! He wanted to take me back
into surgery to repair it but I said no way lol. So, he gave me some kinda
pills and sent me on my way home. The worst part (besides what I just
mentioned) about the whole thing was how my breasts hurt when I got home (I
didn't breastfeed). I called the labor floor and they told me the weirdest
thing...put CABBAGE on them! And I did, and it worked like a charm!
Seriously, I don't know why it helped, but it did, it was amazing. The first
day out of the hospital a friend and I went to see a movie (Dante's Peak,
isn't it funny how we remember those kinds of things?) and I carried a case
of formula into my house!
I felt really well after my daughter's birth, was up and moving around and
steps and all a couple days afterwards. It was amazing, the difference
between the two c-section experiences!
I have had 5 miscarriages since my daughter's birth and no one so far has
thought to check out why...but regardless I think my baby having days are
over LOL. BUt I will always have these memories.Sorry this was so long...its
fun reliving it! Thanks for letting me share!
Nancy

Old January 8th 04, 06:17 PM
Elizabeth Reid

tracy wrote in message . ..
Hello all.

If possible could anyone who had a c-section please tell me about
their experiences. I had one myself 6mnths ago and as many of my
friends don't yet have children i find myself with no one to talk to.
1.What were the reasons for your section.

Failure to progress. My labor went normally until I reached about
7-8 cm, then everything stalled. I spent about 6-8 hours with
no interventions while 'stuck', then had about another 10 hours
with Pitocin, but the baby never moved lower.

2.Did you have an epidural or general.

Epidural.

3.if epidural what did you feel? how long did you have pain relief for?

Didn't feel any pain during the section, but I did have a lot
of trembling/nausea because of the medications. Afterwards, I
took Motrin/Percoset for the 3 days I was in the hospital, but was
down to just Motrin by the time I got home, which I think I
took for about another week or so.

4. any other problems following the section?

Nope. I got over it faster than I was expecting to in terms of
pain, although I kept being caught by surprise by tiredness/
weakness for a few weeks. After that it wasn't a big issue.

5. any other memories?

I felt bad for my husband afterwards, I think he was scared
by my trembling. I remember being able to partially see the
baby right after he was born around the curtain they'd put
up so I couldn't see the surgery, and being so tantalized by
little glimpses of his legs as he kicked and objected!
I was very sad during labor as it started to look more and
more as though I was headed for surgery, but by the time I
was sitting up in the recovery room with my son I was starting
to focus on him and make my peace with how he'd arrived.

Beth
Old January 9th 04, 02:40 AM
Jim and Laura Ernst

DD #1 (12/97) was transverse, and my doc wanted to wait for labor to see if
she would turn. I had a gut feeling she wouldn't, and actually asked to
schedule a C-section. He didn't like that, but went ahead with setting a
date. Each internal exam up to the birth showed she was still transverse,
and afterwards my doc said a vaginal delivery never would have worked, due
to an abnormally shaped uterus (it looks like a mitten.) Had an epidural,
which worked great. Was on Percoset for about a week - Motrin for a month,
but that was for breastfeeding!! No problems at all following surgery - I
feel like it was the best decision to have made. DD #2 (12/01) could have
been a VBAC as she was more head-down, but my doctor was going to be out of
town and I didn't want to take the chance of having emergency surgery
without him being there. Again, everything went fine with another
C-section. I am expecting a little boy mid-March, and while it's not my
idea of a fun date to go under the knife for a third time, I know that I've
had two very smooth experiences with C-sections, and I have a great family
support group to see me through the recovery period. Having a healthy,
thriving child is so much more important than the method of delivery.

Laura

Old January 9th 04, 04:21 AM
Irrational Number

tracy wrote:

1.What were the reasons for your section.

Fibroid in the way. There was no way baby could get out.

2.Did you have an epidural or general.

I had spinal anesthesia. As I understand it, a spinal
is a one-time shot and an epidural is an IV...? The
spinal is regional, so I was awake.

3.if epidural what did you feel? how long did you have
pain relief for?

The spinal completely stopped all pain. They inserted
the catheter and I felt some pressure, but no pain. All
I felt was the surgical table moving as the doctors
moved the baby about.

The spinal anesthesia is some morphine-thing, I think.
So, it causes nausea (got some anti-nausea thing in the
IV) and itching all over (got some anti-itch thing in
the IV). In recovery, your feelings come back to your
legs over the course of a couple of hours, but total
feeling comes back 24 hours later.

4. any other problems following the section?

Only problem was that I was stubborn and did not want
a suppository in the hospital. BOY did I regret it
when we got home 5 days later! I felt like I was giving
birth!

I had pretty bad anemia throughout the pregnancy and was
taking huge doses of iron. Because of the fibroid causing
risk of hemorrhage plus the anemia, the obstetrician wanted
me to have two units of blood available. So, I got two
friends to do a directed blood donation through the
Red Cross. However, I was perfectly fine and did not
need any transfusions.

I had swollen feet for a couple of weeks, so I put them
up on about 5 pillows every night! Other than that,
no other problems.

5. any other memories?

I had a great experience. Great LC, great nurses,
great NICU, one horrible neonatologist, but all other
doctors were very good. I had a great birth experience
and would not hesitate to go back to Regional Medical
Center of San Jose.

Also thinking back every night for about three days following the
birth i was given an anal suppository of some sort, silly me didn't
ask what it was for at the time. Any ideas.

It's to help you poop. In abdominal surgery, your
digestive system shuts down. That's why they keep
asking if you've passed gas and if you've pooped.
Believe me, it was a good thing they did!

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

stats deja blues General 10 October 10th 03 06:55 PM
Tough decision - Elective C or not ? paul williams Pregnancy 196 October 9th 03 04:44 AM
C- Section question The Huwe Family Pregnancy 15 August 29th 03 04:22 AM
DRUGS-INDUCED/DRUGS CAN WORSEN RLS/PLMD: CAUTION! RLS/PLMD patients taking a medication prescribed by their qualified healthcare provider in this Section should not abruptly stop it. They should consult their qualified healthcare provider first. [email protected] Pregnancy 0 July 16th 03 05:58 AM