Sippy Cups...

Old April 25th 04, 10:55 PM
Jamie Clark

Default Sippy Cups...

Okay ladies, I need your input and expertise. I need to buy new sippy cups,
and I want to know what kind you and your toddlers like, and why.

We've been using Avent bottles with handles and the sippy cup nipples, which
I like in theory. It sure made the transition from bottle to sippy cup
seamless. But, they are all starting to leak, and making me crazy.

We also have 2 smaller Gerber sippy cups that I bought on vacation one time,
since I forgot to pack enough bottles. The Gerber ones have a single piece
valve that pushes into place. The problem is that Taylor drops the cup down
and sometimes the valve pops out of place, so that the contents then spill
out. These aren't too bad, and Taylor is used to them, so unless I get some
other great recommendations, this is what we'll probably end up using.

I just purchased some First Years "Clean and Simple" jumbo spill-proof cups.
They have a built in valve so cleaning is easier, no parts to lose, and a
neat little mouthpiece cover that fold back out of the way. I opened one
container of two, washed them, and filled one up. I tried to suck on it,
and could hardly get anything out. Also, the mouthpiece is much fatter,
rounder and harder than the Avent mouthpiece. I handed it to Taylor, who
sucked and sucked and sucked, and barely made a dent in it, then handed it
back to me and walked away. The sides of these are also very smooth and
hard for her to hold on to. So, these are going back.

So, I'm looking for that perfect sippy cup -- easy to clean and put
together, valves won't pop out or get lost, easy to grip and carry around,
easy to drink from, won't spill if dropped or tipped over.

Any suggestions?
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest, Password:
Guest
Password

Handmade Baby Blankets -- www.geocities.com/digit_the_cat/Blankets.html

Old April 25th 04, 11:06 PM
A&G&K

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
ink.net...
Okay ladies, I need your input and expertise. I need to buy new sippy

cups,
and I want to know what kind you and your toddlers like, and why.

We've been using Avent bottles with handles and the sippy cup nipples,

which
I like in theory. It sure made the transition from bottle to sippy cup
seamless. But, they are all starting to leak, and making me crazy.

Mine never leak - after discussing this with three other Mum's, we think we
know why they leak .... its the handles. I never used the handles with mine
and they are the only ones that have never leaked (and I've used playtex,
Tommy Tippee, and "The First Years").

The Playtex cup I have only leaks with chilled water or milk though ... its
fine with room-temparature water. It has a removeable valve (but then so
does the Avent). It is my second choice.

HTH
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old April 25th 04, 11:27 PM
Jamie Clark

I do think it's the handles, too. I'll try a few without the handles. It's
a shame to take them off, since she is able to carry them easily and grip
them well with the handles. I'll hold on to them either way, for baby #2.
We'll see if they leak with the old nipples and no handles...

Playtex, okay. Strange about the leaking with cold stuff but not room temp.
I do tend to tuck sippy cups back in the fridge, so I think I'd get a lot of
leaking.

Thanks!

Old April 25th 04, 11:29 PM
Donna

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
ink.net...
Okay ladies, I need your input and expertise. I need to buy new sippy

cups,
and I want to know what kind you and your toddlers like, and why.

We also have 2 smaller Gerber sippy cups that I bought on vacation one

time,
since I forgot to pack enough bottles. The Gerber ones have a single

piece
valve that pushes into place. The problem is that Taylor drops the cup

down
and sometimes the valve pops out of place, so that the contents then spill
out. These aren't too bad, and Taylor is used to them, so unless I get

some
other great recommendations, this is what we'll probably end up using.

Oh, those damn Gerber sippy cups are WORTHLESS. The valves drop out all the
time, and they spill like crazy. Don't spend a dime on the damn things. I
just recycled every last one of mine, because I can't stand them.

So, I'm looking for that perfect sippy cup -- easy to clean and put
together, valves won't pop out or get lost, easy to grip and carry around,
easy to drink from, won't spill if dropped or tipped over.

You know what works for us? Those "The First Years" disposable plastic
sippy cups. I bought about ten of them a year ago, and I put them through
the dishwasher (on anti-bacterial) after every use, and they are still going
strong. They're inexpensive, and they work like a charm. At this point, I
won't use anything else.

Hope that helps.

Donna

Old April 25th 04, 11:33 PM
Sophie

Playtex Big Sipsters Spill Proof Cups have been good for all of my kids.
They have it on the Playtex website if you want to see it.

Old April 25th 04, 11:37 PM
She's A Goddess

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
ink.net...
Okay ladies, I need your input and expertise. I need to buy new sippy

cups,
and I want to know what kind you and your toddlers like, and why.

We have tried them all. Avent bottles, Avent sippies, Playtex, Gerber,
Safety First, First Years and more. I have had some sort of beef with all
of them. Intro the First Years Take N Toss ones. Seven cups for around $3.
They work excellently, only dribbling a little if one of the kids really
throws them. I think a lid popped off once but that wasn't nearly the
annoyance that a constantly dripping cup is. We use them and abuse them,
wash them over and over and I feel no guilt at throwing them away when they
are found rotting underneath the seat of the car since we get so many for
less than the price of one of the "normal" cups. Other than that, my second
most favorite has been the Gerber Insulated cups.

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl (2 1/2 years) and O. Boy (10 months)

Old April 25th 04, 11:43 PM
Ericka Kammerer

She's A Goddess wrote:

We have tried them all. Avent bottles, Avent sippies, Playtex, Gerber,
Safety First, First Years and more. I have had some sort of beef with all
of them. Intro the First Years Take N Toss ones. Seven cups for around $3.
They work excellently, only dribbling a little if one of the kids really
throws them. I think a lid popped off once but that wasn't nearly the
annoyance that a constantly dripping cup is. We use them and abuse them,
wash them over and over and I feel no guilt at throwing them away when they
are found rotting underneath the seat of the car since we get so many for
less than the price of one of the "normal" cups.

I have to second this recommendation. Might as well
try them--couldn't be cheaper! Genevieve likes them, and
you have to work hard to get any leakage.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old April 26th 04, 12:09 AM
New York Jen

[...]

We recently got hooked on the throw away or keep cups, I'm pretty sure these
are by First Years as well. These cups have a built in valve and no extra
parts. My only complaint about them is that there is no cover, so when
we're on the road I end up taking a bottle of water (usually just a big one
for myself that we end up sharing) or a juice box to throw into the empty
cup. The tops are interchangeable...we just keep a stack of the cups and a
stack of the tops. They also make tops with straws for the strawberry
shakes I make for us - YUM! Too baby my blender broke last week!

Anyway, that's my recommendation. We had tried all the others and I finally
went through the cabinet and threw them all away, happy with this new
product. It was nice to get rid of all those valves and tops and bottoms and
not have to figure out which went with which! Best part is that if you
leave these cups somewhere, you're not out $5 - and they do wash in the
dishwasher, and well enough that I haven't tossed any in the months we've
been using them.

Ok, that's it for my endorsement...

- Jen

Old April 26th 04, 03:13 AM
Tori M.

I must be the only one. I use the Parents Choice Sippy cups with the straw.
It is a little anoying since the straw comes apart into 3 peices for
cleaning and it has a no spill valve. I keep them clean with a pipe cleaner
though and They are the first cup Bonnie would use on a regular basis... I
think they come in packs of 2 for $5. or so.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old April 26th 04, 03:34 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Tori M. wrote:

I must be the only one. I use the Parents Choice Sippy cups with the straw.
It is a little anoying since the straw comes apart into 3 peices for
cleaning and it has a no spill valve. I keep them clean with a pipe cleaner
though and They are the first cup Bonnie would use on a regular basis... I
think they come in packs of 2 for $5. or so.

We have some, and Genevieve really likes them (she
loves drinking from a straw), but ours leak. I like that
the straw is soft, so when she leaps at the straw, she
doesn't hurt herself on it.

Best wishes,
Ericka