Washington: Child Protective Services needs an overhaul...

Old August 3rd 07, 09:41 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
fx

Default Washington: Child Protective Services needs an overhaul...

CPS needs an overhaul

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...weblets03.html

Recently, I read yet another horrific story of another inexcusable
failure by Child Protective Services. "Plea deal for mother in death by
dehydration of boy, 7" [Times, Local News, July 15] told of a poor
12-year-old boy who was tortured by his grandparents in Tacoma. At least
six complaints, citing abuse, were filed by the boy's teachers and
school counselors to CPS. Three years later, there was still no response
from CPS in regards to these complaints.

This little boy is hardly the first case to make headlines. In November
2004, Justice and Raiden Robinson died from starvation and dehydration
at the hands of their mother. This was after CPS received six complaints
against their mother.

There is also the case of 7-year-old Tyler DeLeon, who weighed just 28
pounds, the size of an average 2-year-old. Tyler, a boy so thirsty he
ripped a hole in the screen of his bedroom window to eat snow, died of
dehydration.

Then there is 2-year-old Rafael Gomez, whose caseworker, in 2003, simply
ignored the abuse (exposure to cocaine and methamphetamine, broken legs,
a skull fracture, cuts and burns) and returned the boy to his mother,
who killed him.

I don't understand the leaders in this state. They engage in endless
discussions, but do not seem capable of making the hard decisions, or
accomplishing anything of substance.

Eight years after the Nisqually earthquake, Washington's leaders are
still at the discussion phase of viaduct solutions. Traffic congestion
grows worse each day, with no solution in site. But those things I can
live with. What I can't live with is this same lackadaisical attitude
when it comes to endangering our state's children.

I have to wonder where our leaders' priorities are. The Legislature had
time to write and pass legislation concerning the gratuity charged in
restaurants, but not a single piece of legislation to overhaul or
dismantle Child Protection Services? Perhaps it's because those kids,
who cannot afford lobbyists to line our representatives' campaign
pockets, simply fail to matter?

How many of these stories have to come out before somebody does
something besides pay lip service to it? There have been calls by the
public for the overhaul of the CPS system for years. Politicians,
including our state's governor, go on TV, acting appropriately outraged,
making the same tired speeches calling for change, but those efforts
wane about the same time the press attention does. What will it take for
the outrage to become action? OK, governor, where is the change? What
steps have you put in place to create this change?

-- Dawn Schink, Duvall

CURRENTLY CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES VIOLATES MORE CIVIL RIGHTS ON A
DAILY BASIS THEN ALL OTHER AGENCIES COMBINED INCLUDING THE NSA / CIA
WIRETAPPING PROGRAM....

CPS Does not protect children...
It is sickening how many children are subject to abuse, neglect and even
killed at the hands of Child Protective Services.

every parent should read this .pdf from
connecticut dcf watch...

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com/8x11.pdf

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com

Number of Cases per 100,000 children in the US
These numbers come from The National Center on
Child Abuse and Neglect in Washington. (NCCAN)
Recent numbers have increased significantly for CPS

*Perpetrators of Maltreatment*

Physical Abuse CPS 160, Parents 59
Sexual Abuse CPS 112, Parents 13
Neglect CPS 410, Parents 241
Medical Neglect CPS 14 Parents 12
Fatalities CPS 6.4, Parents 1.5

CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES, HAPPILY DESTROYING HUNDREDS OF INNOCENT
FAMILIES YEARLY NATIONWIDE AND COMING TO YOU'RE HOME SOON...

BE SURE TO FIND OUT WHERE YOUR CANDIDATES STANDS ON THE ISSUE OF
REFORMING OR ABOLISHING CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES ("MAKE YOUR CANDIDATES
TAKE A STAND ON THIS ISSUE.") THEN REMEMBER TO VOTE ACCORDINGLY IF THEY
ARE "FAMILY UNFRIENDLY" IN THE NEXT ELECTION...