cleft lip

Old October 12th 03, 01:45 AM
Jill W

Default cleft lip

Does anyone know, if cleft lip is going to occur in a fetus, at what
week of pregnancy does it form?

Thanks!
Old October 12th 03, 02:31 AM
Sophie

"Jill W" wrote in message
Does anyone know, if cleft lip is going to occur in a fetus, at what
week of pregnancy does it form?

Thanks!

My friend has a son with a cleft lip and palate. She found out at the 30
week ultrasound. She thinks it happened around week 10, when she was taking
Tylenol 3 (with her Dr's okay). She told me that was when the face forms.
She blames herself so take my post FWIW.

Old October 12th 03, 02:40 AM
Karen Askey

Does anyone know, if cleft lip is going to occur in a fetus, at what
week of pregnancy does it form?

Clefts of the lip and/or palate occur between weeks 8-12. It is not determined
what, if any, environmental factors play a part in it. Genetics have some play
into whether a child will have a cleft defect, but the chances are only
slightly higher than those with no cleft history in their family tree.

Also, a cleft may or may not show up on u/s. A cleft lip is more likely to
show up on u/s if the resolution is good, like perhaps a 3-D u/s. For us, we
weren't looking for a cleft defect (no history) and the lip was not affected,
so it was not going to be detected prior to birth.

HTH
koa
Still nursing James, 02/06/01
EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BCP)

Old October 12th 03, 06:14 PM
Jill

How serious is a cleft palate/lip? I have heard of it before and have seen a
couple people who were born with it and had it surgucally corrected early on
(Actually...didn't Joaquin or River Phoenix have this? )....I thought it was
a somewhat common thing.

I am 9 weeks along now (time flies!) and am doing ok with my panic attacks
with no medications, knock on wood. I have had really bad morning sickness
and the doctor gave me Zofran after phenergan wasn't helping me. I really
can't keep food down without it but I am kind of worried about taking it- I
take it as little as I possibly can. I researched it and found nothing on it
other than it's not known what if anything it causes. The doctors (my
ob/gyn) think it's ok or they wouldn't have given it to me, they usually err
on the side of caution,but I can't help but worry about taking it so I try
to minimize it. Has anyone else taken anti-nausea medications such as
phenergan or zofran during pregnancy?

Old October 12th 03, 07:15 PM
Jill W

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:14:41 GMT, "Jill" wrote:

[...]

A good friend of mine did, she had vomiting so bad she couldn't leave
the house. Her baby was born last week and was just fine.
Old October 12th 03, 08:44 PM
T68b

How serious is a cleft palate/lip?

Can affect many other things...ie major feeding issues, speech development,
hearing, dental etc. Can also be associated with other problems(Pierre Robbin
for one)
Incidence was 1in about 700 infants, not sure now whether it's gone up or down.

Kathi
Old October 13th 03, 12:43 AM
Sophie

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
How serious is a cleft palate/lip?

The friend I mentioned before has 6 children, the one with the cleft lip and
palate was baby #3. He had feeding problems and speech problems. Now at
age 7 he's right on track, in the right grade at school, etc...

I have heard of it before and have seen a
couple people who were born with it and had it surgucally corrected early

on
(Actually...didn't Joaquin or River Phoenix have this? )....I thought it

was
a somewhat common thing.

Joaquin yes, River no. It shows how much better medicine/surgery is. You
can hardly tell Joaquin has it, yet the actor Stacy Keach has always had a
moustache to cover his. My friend's son, it's hardly noticeable at all -
just a little silver line from his upper lip to under his nose.

I am 9 weeks along now (time flies!) and am doing ok with my panic attacks
with no medications, knock on wood. I have had really bad morning sickness
and the doctor gave me Zofran after phenergan wasn't helping me. I really
can't keep food down without it but I am kind of worried about taking it-

take it as little as I possibly can. I researched it and found nothing on

it
other than it's not known what if anything it causes. The doctors (my
ob/gyn) think it's ok or they wouldn't have given it to me, they usually

err
on the side of caution,but I can't help but worry about taking it so I try
to minimize it. Has anyone else taken anti-nausea medications such as
phenergan or zofran during pregnancy?

I have another friend who has morning sickness so bad she has to take the
nausea medicine chemotherapy patients take ($21 a pill, out of her pocket).
Her morning sickness lasted 5 months with all 3 of her children, and all 3
are perfectly fine.

Old October 13th 03, 04:13 AM
Tracey

Jill W wrote:

I am 9 weeks along now (time flies!) and am doing ok with my panic attacks
with no medications, knock on wood. I have had really bad morning sickness
and the doctor gave me Zofran after phenergan wasn't helping me. I really
can't keep food down without it but I am kind of worried about taking it-
I take it as little as I possibly can. I researched it and found nothing
on it other than it's not known what if anything it causes. The doctors
(my ob/gyn) think it's ok or they wouldn't have given it to me, they
usually err on the side of caution,but I can't help but worry about taking
it so I try
to minimize it. Has anyone else taken anti-nausea medications such as
phenergan or zofran during pregnancy?

I took both with my most recent pregnancy. Phenegran from about week 10
until around week 20, zofran after that. In the end, I lost 30 lbs during
my pregnancy due to inability to eat and vomiting. My son was born at 8lb
8oz and very healthy, with no problems.
Tracey in CT

Old October 13th 03, 04:16 AM
Tracey

Sophie wrote:

I have another friend who has morning sickness so bad she has to take the
nausea medicine chemotherapy patients take ($21 a pill, out of her
pocket). Her morning sickness lasted 5 months with all 3 of her children,
and all 3 are perfectly fine.

Yup, thats Zofran. Very expensive. My Dr. had me taking it 2x per day and
my medical insurance would only pay for 28 pills per month. Sigh. I had
to pay for the rest of it out of pocket. And it only gave me moderate
relief from the vomiting/nausea.

Tracey in CT

Old October 13th 03, 03:56 PM
Jill

"Sophie" wrote

I have another friend who has morning sickness so bad she has to take the
nausea medicine chemotherapy patients take ($21 a pill, out of her

pocket).
Her morning sickness lasted 5 months with all 3 of her children, and all 3
are perfectly fine.

Sounds like Zofran......that's what I am taking but I try not to take it
unless absolutely necessary. Not due to the outrageous cost but because I am
having 2 side effects from it pretty bad.