A silly question...

Old June 13th 07, 07:13 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default A silly question...

Other than trying to rub EBM on 'em, is there anything else that can be used
for a very recently sore nipple?

DD2 took a good chomp out of me this morning before we actually got up for
the day.
I went up to feed her in the morning when I heard her making noises in the
room. I went up, took her out of her bed and brought her into my bed and
layed down with her - as I do always. We layed down, she nursed. When she
was done, I layed for a bit watching a bit of TV and let her roll and crawl
around the bed and on me, as she almost always does (at least until DD1
wakes up in the morning, which is normally shortly after DD2 wakes up)
I was just laying on the bed. She was having a good time crawling around
the bed as usual - exploring, sitting up and grabbing things off the head
board, crawling over me, etc. Nothing unusual.
Also not unusual, I hadn't bothered to do up my nursing bra yet, just kind
of layed down as I always do. The skin-to-skin contact is nice, and she
often is quite amused with nipples (mine or DH's!) Ok, no biggie. I also
often lay open to her in case she wants to nurse a bit more, she's able (and
does) crawl back over to me to nurse a bit more or do her infamous comfort
sucking.
Today, though, she crawled over to me as she has before, so I kind of turned
to my side a bit to let her nurse if she wants. She wanted to, or so I
thought. Instead, she crawled over to me and bit me. HARD this time. I
didn't jump, I bit my tongue and held back potential tears - yes, it really
did hurt, and she only has the 2 bottom teeth, which are about half way out.
I did up my bra, told her biting hurts and there's no more chance to nurse
right now. I picked her up and brought her downstairs with me and put her
on the kitchen floor. This was mid-morning. Not 10 minutes later, N walks
through the door. Came home from work extremely early due to crappy weather
(he works outside)... My boob was still hurting quite a bit, and I took a
look at it. It looked like it was bleeding just a bit. I had him take a
look to see if I was seeing things. Sure enough, without telling him
anything, he said it looks like it was cut. It sure was - by DD2's sharp
little chompers!
It's not bleeding anymore. Just a small drop of blood (and I more noticed
because there was a little smear of blood on my bra right there) and that
was that. Now, though, that area looks like it's already healing up and it
now just looks like a healing cut/scratch. It's redder than normal, and it
sure hurts! It hurts quite a bit to even nurse DD2 on that side, even.
I've been very hesitant to put anything on myself. I find that only with
DD2, certain things cause my nipples to break out in rashes or something - I
believe quite a while back here I mentioned something about my nipples and
surrounding area were bright red, looked inflamed, chapped, cracked, even
almost bleeding (IIRC, everyone said it *sounded* like classic thrush, yet I
had absolutely NO pain before, during or after feedings) and I narrowed it
down to the baby Ovol DD2 took often for gas. Stopped with the Ovol and it
cleared right up within a day. Came back almost instantly if and when I did
give it to her when needed.
I also tried the Lansinoh (sp?) cream and I believe a Medela breast cream
and those too, I found, gave me slight rashes. I did not have this issue
with the other kids while BFing. Just DD2. I'm very hesitant to put
anything on me for this reason, so I've been trying to express just a tiny
bit of BM to rub on the extremely sore and injured area. It doesn't seem to
be helping with the painfulness, although it might be helping with the
overall healing.
It's just VERY sore on that one spot and right around it. I haven't been
wearing a bra while at home all day today, just because I find it feels
better on my nipple. It's so sore all the time... Is there anything I can
put on it? I haven't tried the breast creams, but if they are known to
help, I will try it. Anything to make it stop hurting so much, and fast!
Any ideas??

Old June 13th 07, 07:52 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

xkatx wrote:

I also tried the Lansinoh (sp?) cream and I believe a Medela breast cream
and those too, I found, gave me slight rashes.

Hm. I would have suggested the Lanisoh (if that's how it's spelled), but
if you get a rash from it it probably won't really help.

I'm still trying to come up with something for the biting. Sam never
_bit_ me on purpose. He'd sometimes turn his head away while holding on
to the nipple, and I think he once drew blood that way, but he was
definitely close to a year old then (late teether, thank goodness) and
understood the concept of "You bite me, I don't nurse you."
Personally I probably wouldn't hold back a scream or tears. At least
that way you're communicating that it hurts a lot, which she may not
understand from your composed reaction. I think I screamed once when he
pulled away while still latched on and yes, it scared him but he also
undertood that what he just did wasn't really funny.
(A friend of mine was woken up by her toddler by him hitting her in the
face with a bottle. He did that for a week and at some point in her
sleep deprived early morning state she grabbed the bottle and hit him
over the head with it. He didn't do it again. She felt really bad for
hitting him with it though...) But sometimes all the explaining and
"time out" stuff doesn't work because the kid simply doesn't understand
that other people feel pain even if the kid doesn't. The biting doesn't
hurt her, so why should it hurt mom, after all, "mom's part of me, she
knows how I feel all the time" kind of thing. You know what I mean?
You're still so close emotionally it's hard for a baby to understand
that not everything you feel she feels and vice verca...

cu
nicole
Old June 13th 07, 04:26 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"NL" wrote in message
xkatx wrote:

I also tried the Lansinoh (sp?) cream and I believe a Medela breast cream
and those too, I found, gave me slight rashes.

Hm. I would have suggested the Lanisoh (if that's how it's spelled), but
if you get a rash from it it probably won't really help.

I don't know. I feel a bit better now that it's morning. I did sleep with
a breast pad in, just because every time I knocked myself, I really felt it!
The pad helped to kind of cushion a little. Feels a bit better, although
feeding is still kind of painful - it's like a sharp, shooting pinching
feeling. I'll probably just have to let it be and wait until it heals and
just hope it doesn't happen again!

I'm still trying to come up with something for the biting. Sam never _bit_
me on purpose. He'd sometimes turn his head away while holding on to the
nipple, and I think he once drew blood that way, but he was definitely
close to a year old then (late teether, thank goodness) and understood the
concept of "You bite me, I don't nurse you."

She's definitely not at this age just yet, although I do put a stop to
feeding if she's biting since soon enough she'll be able to understand.

Personally I probably wouldn't hold back a scream or tears. At least that
way you're communicating that it hurts a lot, which she may not understand
from your composed reaction. I think I screamed once when he pulled away
while still latched on and yes, it scared him but he also undertood that
what he just did wasn't really funny.

DD2 just finds it funny. If I give a reaction, she does it again. It's
funny. If I don't give a reaction, it's not funny but maybe it has the
potential to be funny - or something. I've stuck to the "it hurts!" idea,
without causing a big scene about it (or trying, anyways)

(A friend of mine was woken up by her toddler by him hitting her in the
face with a bottle. He did that for a week and at some point in her sleep
deprived early morning state she grabbed the bottle and hit him over the
head with it. He didn't do it again. She felt really bad for hitting him
with it though...) But sometimes all the explaining and "time out" stuff
doesn't work because the kid simply doesn't understand that other people
feel pain even if the kid doesn't. The biting doesn't hurt her, so why
should it hurt mom, after all, "mom's part of me, she knows how I feel all
the time" kind of thing. You know what I mean? You're still so close
emotionally it's hard for a baby to understand that not everything you
feel she feels and vice verca...

Yea, that makes sense. I remember when DS was about a year, year and a
half, he picked up biting from daycare. Not good. I'd hold him and he'd
just chomp down on my shoulder (not while nursing, though) and boy did that
hurt. He bit my mom once, and she bit him back enough so that he felt it
wasn't nice and that it hurt. He bit her once and only once, never again.
He continued to bite ME, though, because I thought my mom was crazy with the
idea of "bite him back" and finally I had enough and figured I had nothing
to lose. He bit me, I told him that it hurt and I bit him back. He did not
like that and actually from that point on, he did not bite me again.
I really don't think DD understands the biting thing, and although biting
back seemed to help with DS (and I've heard of tons of others who said that
it worked for them as well) I really don't think DD2 is at that age yet to
really get it. It's somewhat frustrating. Those teeth... I just can't get
over how sharp they are and how much it actually does hurt on a boob! LOL

cu
nicole

Old June 13th 07, 06:01 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

xkatx wrote:
"NL" wrote

I don't know. I feel a bit better now that it's morning. I did sleep with
a breast pad in, just because every time I knocked myself, I really felt it!
The pad helped to kind of cushion a little. Feels a bit better, although
feeding is still kind of painful - it's like a sharp, shooting pinching
feeling. I'll probably just have to let it be and wait until it heals and
just hope it doesn't happen again!

Ugh. It'll definitely take some days to heal I guess, with me it's been
so long since I last nursed (Sam's 7 now and though he nursed till he
was 4 he difinitely didn't bite me then) I really can't remember what
helped. If it's swelling a coldpack might help a little...

Personally I probably wouldn't hold back a scream or tears. At least that
way you're communicating that it hurts a lot, which she may not understand
from your composed reaction. I think I screamed once when he pulled away
while still latched on and yes, it scared him but he also undertood that
what he just did wasn't really funny.

DD2 just finds it funny. If I give a reaction, she does it again. It's
funny. If I don't give a reaction, it's not funny but maybe it has the
potential to be funny - or something. I've stuck to the "it hurts!" idea,
without causing a big scene about it (or trying, anyways)

Yeah, that's probably better. I'm just trying to find something that you
could use as a concequence that's logical and immediate. Obviously
putting her down and walking away doen't really work in every situation.
But I would try to have one spot where she goes when she's "being bad".
For Sam it was the playpen. But make sure it doesn't backfire, after a
while Sam started acting out just to get _into_ the playpen...

snip
I really don't think DD understands the biting thing, and although biting
back seemed to help with DS (and I've heard of tons of others who said that
it worked for them as well) I really don't think DD2 is at that age yet to
really get it. It's somewhat frustrating. Those teeth... I just can't get
over how sharp they are and how much it actually does hurt on a boob! LOL

I know what you mean. With my friend it was more of a half concious "I
grabbed whatever he was hitting me with and swung it at him to make him
stop hitting me with it".
I can't remember something like that ever happening/working with Sam
though. I think I kicked him in the shin once after he kicked me
(seriously, I had black and blue shins from one of his tantrums) but he
was so enraged and still in tantrum mode I don't even think it actually
hurt him (of course I was also not swinging my leg back and kicking full
force like he was *lol*). Another time I spanked him on his butt for
something, I can't even remember what, and he goes "Haha, didn't even
hurt" and I was standing there yelling "That's because it's not supposed
to! It's just to get your attention!" (He was wearing a pair of winter
pants a long pullover and a jacket, I don't hit him to hurt him, but
sometimes telling him to stop just doesn't reach him, partly due to his
perception problems, he just tunes the whole world out) And that
actually did work because he was all "Oh, ok."

I'm sorry I don't have anything that'll definitely work. But the biting
will definitely pass. I'm pretty certain.

cu
nicole
Old June 14th 07, 10:09 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
tcmtracey

On Jun 12, 11:13 pm, "xkatx" wrote:
[...]

You could try aloe vera or calendula cream. You will probably want to
wash them off before nursing though, as I know that aloe vera does not
taste good at all. I also use Lavender Oil for every cut I get as it
is antiseptic, anti-inflammatory etc, but again, wash it off as it
would not taste good at full concentration (some people drink
lavender tea....).
Tracey

silly question Melissa Reeves Pregnancy 3 November 16th 05 11:03 PM
Silly question CY Pregnancy 7 April 2nd 05 01:22 PM
silly question about delivery Christine Pregnancy 22 April 10th 04 04:21 AM
Silly question Nicole Breastfeeding 6 July 30th 03 04:53 PM
silly question Larry McMahan Breastfeeding 0 July 8th 03 03:23 AM