Boots! (common I'm sure)

Old October 21st 08, 03:22 PM posted to misc.kids
Kat

Default Boots! (common I'm sure)

"Babie" wrote in message
So our baby girl is growing up and acts like a 13 year old (she's 5).

Jarrod and I went on yet another cruise recently. This one to celebrate
our 15th anniversary. While we were gone, his mom stayed at our place to
take care of the girl, our dog and 2 cats.

She only lives about 2 hours from us, so we see her probably every other
week. For some reason, she decided to take Alegra on a shopping spree. One
of the things she bought was a pair of boots. Now we've had experience
with "boot issues" before as our niece is almost 9. But we never came up
with a perfect way to deal with it...

Alegra thinks she has to wear her boots with EVERYTHING. Before she was
born I referred to her as my little diva, and she certainly lives up to
that nickname. It isn't a huge deal, but how do you handle clothing
issues? We've been working a lot with the word "compromise" lately, so
she's starting to get it, but she still thinks her boots are the only
thing she can wear.

Compared to other things, this is really our only "fight" we have with
her. One way we handle it is making her choose what she wants to wear to
school the night before after her bath. That usually works, but some
mornings she decided the boots are a must *grin*

LES!

I don't see what the problem is. I believe I read somewhere up above that
there's nothing really *wrong* with the boots, you just, basically, think
she looks a little rediculous with boots and a skirt (or shorts or whatever)
I'd let it go. I'm a bit anal with the way my children dress. DS learned
from a very young age about matching. (No, that red sweater does NOT look
alright with those green shorts and those hiking boots don't do it.)
But... when he got older and started actually deciding what to wear, I
didn't really care so much. One example is while shopping, he wanted this
very purple and brown "rugby" shirt. I eventually got it, racking my brain
as to what he would wear this purple-striped shirt with. His pants are ALL
camo-type 'army' pants... And 99% of them are green. Purple and green? Oh
my. I don't care, though. I've realized the clothing battle is not a
battle worth fighting. He's almost 8 and I really don't care. As long as
he is wearing something that doesn't look horrid - and by that I mean ripped
up and stained and disgustingly dirty - I'm alright. I've also learned to
toss or donate anything that I don't care for him putting on. Ripped jeans
and pants go straight to my pile to either find a new home for (some do
quilts and such with old jeans and pants) or to toss. Stuff I don't care
for - or he doesn't like - go into a donation box to get rid of. I figure
if he wants to wear something I don't really care much for, oh well. That
is my problem and I know those funny pants or strange shirt will not fit him
forever (luckily!)
I also know that DDs (they're 2 and 3) often want some strange items to
wear. After buying both girls new rubber boots when it was raining quite a
bit, that's all they wanted to wear... Rubber boots in the heat with
shorts... Yes, it looks rediculous. Yes, it's hard for both of them to
walk in rubber boots, but as long as it's not cold out (frozen feet in
rubber boots is not alright) then I don't care. I've found the novelty of
some things eventually wears out. DD1 is at the age where she tries to
dress herself. If she puts a shirt on backwards, I usually don't care. If
she puts her shoes on the wrong feet, I usually don't take them off and put
them on her if she has put them on herself. They're her feet, and the only
feet she has, so they're not really the *wrong* feet, really! I usually put
her shoes on anyways, or help her right off the bat, but if she's managed to
do it on her own, I let it go.
With your issue with the boots, I would just let her do it and ride it out.
Let her wear the boots if it makes her happy! The funny clothing issue is
one battle I have learned to let go and not fight. Still working on a few
other "battles" I know I should not fight, but the issue with clothes is one
I have learned to look the other way with

Old October 21st 08, 03:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , MarieD says...

"Babie" wrote in message
Alegra thinks she has to wear her boots with EVERYTHING. Before she was
born I referred to her as my little diva, and she certainly lives up to
that nickname. It isn't a huge deal, but how do you handle clothing
issues? We've been working a lot with the word "compromise" lately, so
she's starting to get it, but she still thinks her boots are the only
thing she can wear.

2 of my 3 daughters went through the boot phase. I let them wear them as
much as they wanted. Even in the summer with shorts, there were those boots
It was never a big deal to me if the boots did not go with the clothes.
At one point, my youngest was wearing a tiara and her boots EVERYWHERE we
went. This was over xmas so all the pics from our many family gatherings
shows her in that tiara and the pink boots. I allow it because it's just not
a battle for me.
Also I homeschool, so I am not quite so worried about appearance in the
smaller children as others seem to be.

Marie I think most if not all of those who also answered to just go along with
the boots are not homeschoolers.

Banty

Old October 21st 08, 03:33 PM posted to misc.kids
MarieD[_2_]

"Banty" wrote in message
Marie I think most if not all of those who also answered to just go along
with
the boots are not homeschoolers.

I saw that after I posted! I keep learning things, don't I All the
objectors to my daughter's boots were parents with kids in school so that's
where I got that from.
Marie

Old October 21st 08, 04:08 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"MarieD" wrote in message
"Babie" wrote in message
[...]

LOL-my almost 4 yr old insists on wearing her plaid school skirt everywhere.
Luckily, Target reduced their uniform separates after labor day, so I was
able to buy a bunch of them cheap (she doesn't care that the plaid isn't
quite the same). Uniforms are not required at her school until 1st grade
except for the occasional program, but she is insistent that only the school
uniform is "right" for school.

It means that I have a VERY distinctive kid-the one who looks like she's
dressed as a preppy for halloween .

Old October 21st 08, 04:10 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"MarieD" wrote in message
"Banty" wrote in message
Marie I think most if not all of those who also answered to just go along
with
the boots are not homeschoolers.

I saw that after I posted! I keep learning things, don't I All the
objectors to my daughter's boots were parents with kids in school so
that's where I got that from.
Marie

It may be that the schools in your area have some restrictions. I know that
my DD's school doesn't want anything at all hard soled on the gym floor,
since the church just redid the floors not long ago. Fortunately, we were
able to find mary-jane type "princess shoes" which had soles like tennis
shoes for my DD .

Old October 21st 08, 04:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

Banty wrote:
In article , Babie says...

"Clisby"
What's wrong with the boots? OK, I'm a real slacker of a mother, but as
long as my children are decently covered in something that fits the school
dress code, it's really not my problem. If their clothing combinations
are really weird, I'm sure some other child will kindly point it out.

Clisby

Nothing wrong with them at all. But she has a lot of dresses and skirts...
not to mention shorts etc that she wants to wear them with. It's more of an
annoyance for me than anything major. We laugh about it regularly.
Particularly since I can be really OCD about some things. (I'm a "shoe
collector" so I notice shoes usually before anything else lol)

One really important thing about parenthood (and life, for that matter) is
realizing which problems are your problems and which problems are others'
problems.

This one is your problem and not your little girl's problem. So dont' try to
make her fix it.

Agreed; however, I don't agree with the notion
that parents have no valid say over how their kids dress
(which I'm not suggesting you espouse--simply observing that
just because he may overdo the matching footwear thing
doesn't mean that there aren't times when it's appropriate
to insist that the child wear appropriate footwear). In
some situations appearance matters and in others it doesn't
(true for adults as well as kids, though adults have more
situations in which appearance matters). When appearance matters,
I have no heartburn squelching my kids' ....ummmm....creativity
in matters of dress. When appearance doesn't matter, the
only constraints are decency and weather-appropriateness.
So, I'd agree that a parent shouldn't impose his or
her desire to see a kid perfectly turned out all the time on
the child, but not that requiring a kid to be well turned
out when the occasion merits is something inappropriate. It's
just a matter of matching the requirement to the context.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 21st 08, 04:28 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

Donna Metler wrote:
"MarieD" wrote in message
"Banty" wrote in message
Marie I think most if not all of those who also answered to just go along
with
the boots are not homeschoolers.

I saw that after I posted! I keep learning things, don't I All the
objectors to my daughter's boots were parents with kids in school so
that's where I got that from.
Marie

It may be that the schools in your area have some restrictions. I know that
my DD's school doesn't want anything at all hard soled on the gym floor,
since the church just redid the floors not long ago. Fortunately, we were
able to find mary-jane type "princess shoes" which had soles like tennis
shoes for my DD .

Yes, our school has the same requirements for gym, but
when it comes to kindergarten the teachers prefer that the kids
pretty much wear something along the lines of tennis shoes
every day (or something else sturdy with good, non-slip soles).
They want the kids to be safe playing on the playground, and
don't want the little girl in the dress and fancy shoes sitting
on the sidelines rather than running off some energy during
recess. DD had a boot thing going on last year, but this
year they wouldn't be footwear that would be encouraged because
they'd be slippery on the playground and inappropriate in gym.
As the kids get older and more sure-footed, the teachers care
less about what's on their feet as long as they have appropriate
shoes on days with gym.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 21st 08, 05:13 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Ericka says...

Banty wrote:
[...]

Agreed.

I guess I'd see occassions where appearance is indeed important as to be kinda
the kid's problem, too, if the family as a whole or the kid need to present
themselves in a certain way.

Banty

Old October 21st 08, 06:47 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby[_2_]

Donna Metler wrote:
"MarieD" wrote in message
"Banty" wrote in message
Marie I think most if not all of those who also answered to just go along
with
the boots are not homeschoolers.

I saw that after I posted! I keep learning things, don't I All the
objectors to my daughter's boots were parents with kids in school so
that's where I got that from.
Marie

It may be that the schools in your area have some restrictions. I know that
my DD's school doesn't want anything at all hard soled on the gym floor,
since the church just redid the floors not long ago. Fortunately, we were
able to find mary-jane type "princess shoes" which had soles like tennis
shoes for my DD .

Possibly - at my kids' school, you couldn't wear boots to P.E.
Depending on the sole/heel, you might not be allowed to wear it on the
playground, but I doubt a 5-year-old's boots would have a problem there.
(This school is grades 1-8, so I can imagine a middle-schooler not
being allowed to wear high-heeled boots on the playground at recess.)

Clisby
Old October 21st 08, 11:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

Banty wrote:

I guess I'd see occassions where appearance is indeed important as to be kinda
the kid's problem, too, if the family as a whole or the kid need to present
themselves in a certain way.

Well, it is the kid's problem, but perhaps not one
they'd recognize or own ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka