Present-shopping advice sought

Old December 21st 04, 03:38 PM

I'm sorry that my original post came out sounding sexist and
biological-parent-ist (if that is a word) when I said "When you were
pregnant" - I should have said "When you were expecting your first
child" because that is what I meant. I always appreciate the input
of Scott, Kevin, and other male members of this group, as well as

that
of Dawn and other adoptive parents, and I'm sorry my phrasing

excluded
you.

Louise

There's no need to apologize...when I was trying to adopt, I was so
tense, I would have been mortified if someone gave me a gift before the
baby was born. I would not allow my office to throw me a shower until
after I brought the baby home and told everyone except my boss that I
was taking a leave for "personal reasons" (my boss knew the truth, of
course).

OTOH, I am Jewish and traditionally, Jews do not give gifts prior to
the birth of the baby. Many Jews do not even bring any items for the
baby into their home until the baby is born. They will go to the store
and pick everything out that they need, and the store will deliver the
items when they are notified the baby is born. Actually, the only item
we purchased prior to the baby's birth was a snap and go stroller -
friends donated a pile of clothes, a car seat and a pack and play so
that the baby would ahve something to sleep in when we got home.
Marilyn
Mom to Nicole

Old December 21st 04, 10:34 PM
Hillary Israeli

In . net,
Irrational Number wrote:

* 3. Would a polarfleece receiving blanket be useful? Is there
* something else I could make out of polarfleece for an infant? (This
* particular fabric is really cute and I want to do something.)
*
*I would not have liked fleece blankets. Flannel
*and cotton work better. But, YMMV.

I have a few crib-sized fleece blankets. I love them.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old December 21st 04, 11:07 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Penny Gaines wrote:

*If it is a Christmas present for the mum, make it something for her: at
*most have a present that is a book on childcare. There is nothing wrong
*though with a present for the bump.

I realize this is a thread about Christmas presents, and so my experience
as a Jew who doesn't make baby purchases prior to the birth of the baby
would not really be relevant -- but I just wanted to comment anyway.
Surely there are SOME Christians who share my traditional Jewish
supersition, and would not want a present "for the bump"? I'll grant that
likely most people would just appreciate the sentiment, but I do suggest
that gift-givers take this potential issue into consideration, and only
buy a present for the bump if you're sure it will not make mom nervous.

Old December 22nd 04, 01:06 AM
Rosalie B.

(Hillary Israeli) wrote:

In .com,
wrote:

*OTOH, I am Jewish and traditionally, Jews do not give gifts prior to
*the birth of the baby. Many Jews do not even bring any items for the
*baby into their home until the baby is born. They will go to the store
*and pick everything out that they need, and the store will deliver the
*items when they are notified the baby is born. Actually, the only item

Yep. MIL went and dropped off our check at the store where we ordered most
of our stuff, while we were still in the hospital. Some of the stuff she
then brought to us (like the car seat which we obviously needed to get
home from the hospital), and the rest was delivered by the store quite
quickly - within 48 hrs IIRC.

Now that I'm expecting our 3rd, I find myself feeling kind of anxious
about our having had to move the nursery furniture back into the nursery
this past weekend. We needed to get it out of our daughter's room to make
room for the "big girl furniture" she's getting delivered tomorrow, but I
feel weird having it just sitting there waiting for the baby. I have to
keep the door to that room closed. I don't like feeling too "ready."

I did not worry about this myself, but I know my mom didn't want me to
tell anyone that I was pg until I was 'showing', which for me was
about the end of the fourth month at which point I instantly looked
like I was due to deliver the next day. But I never had any problems
with either getting pg or having the children, and my mom had lost
several both before and after I was born.

So I would NOT get a present for the baby to be for Christmas unless
there is a family tradition of that. Save it for the baby's birth.

grandma Rosalie

Old December 22nd 04, 07:08 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Rosalie B." wrote:

I did not worry about this myself, but I know my mom didn't want me to
tell anyone that I was pg until I was 'showing',

In spite of the fact that I never had problems getting pregnant or
staying that way, I, too, didn't want to tell folks until it was
necessary; partly, I think, it WAS a kind of superstitious sense that
it would be bad luck.

Unfortunately, for me that was VERY early in the pregnancy, as I had to
explain to my co-workers and friends why I kept throwing up -- up to six
times a day -- and frequently without a lot of notice, so I was losing
it in trash cans and occassionally curbs and . . .

Old December 23rd 04, 01:06 AM
Banty

In article ,
dragonlady says...

In article ,
"Rosalie B." wrote:

I did not worry about this myself, but I know my mom didn't want me to
tell anyone that I was pg until I was 'showing',

In spite of the fact that I never had problems getting pregnant or
staying that way, I, too, didn't want to tell folks until it was
necessary; partly, I think, it WAS a kind of superstitious sense that
it would be bad luck.

Unfortunately, for me that was VERY early in the pregnancy, as I had to
explain to my co-workers and friends why I kept throwing up -- up to six
times a day -- and frequently without a lot of notice, so I was losing
it in trash cans and occassionally curbs and . . .

I waited until I showed to tell people, other than close friends and family.

The disadvantage of that was, when I was feeling a little woozey, my co-workers
would expect me to bound up the stairs with them (well, not exactly *expect* it,
but I didn't want to be begging out all the time) and work a little later
together on a design to get it out the door, etc. But then, once I was showing
and feeling much better and ready to skip and jump wherever, they'd want me to
slow down, sit down, take it easy....

Banty

Old December 23rd 04, 04:10 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
Banty wrote:

In article ,
dragonlady says...

In article ,
"Rosalie B." wrote:

[...]

I tried to wait, but people were getting too concerned about my apparent
illness. And I *never* felt much better, nor was I ever to skip and
jump until AFTER the babies were born.

To make up for how absolutely miserable I was during pregnancy, I had
relatively easy labor and deliveries.

Old December 23rd 04, 04:10 AM
Rosalie B.

Banty wrote:

In article ,
dragonlady says...

In article ,
"Rosalie B." wrote:

I did not worry about this myself, but I know my mom didn't want me to
tell anyone that I was pg until I was 'showing',

I think in my mom's case it was partly that she didn't want me to have
the 'what are you still here' kind of comment for as long.

In spite of the fact that I never had problems getting pregnant or
staying that way, I, too, didn't want to tell folks until it was
necessary; partly, I think, it WAS a kind of superstitious sense that
it would be bad luck.

I think this was sort of it in my mom's case too, as she lost a couple
of children, and I think my grandmother also had a great deal of
trouble staying pregnant.

Unfortunately, for me that was VERY early in the pregnancy, as I had to
explain to my co-workers and friends why I kept throwing up -- up to six
times a day -- and frequently without a lot of notice, so I was losing
it in trash cans and occassionally curbs and . . .

I waited until I showed to tell people, other than close friends and family.

The disadvantage of that was, when I was feeling a little woozey, my co-workers
would expect me to bound up the stairs with them (well, not exactly *expect* it,
but I didn't want to be begging out all the time) and work a little later
together on a design to get it out the door, etc. But then, once I was showing
and feeling much better and ready to skip and jump wherever, they'd want me to
slow down, sit down, take it easy....

I had the advantage of not being employed, and living away from family
and friends for the two pregnancies where I was actually sick a good
bit (#1 for several months). So I didn't have to explain. And with
the second one (actually #3), when I was really good and sick it was
over the weekend and thought I had the flu. After that I didn't have
much problem. With #4 I thought I had the flu too, but I never
actually got sick.

grandma Rosalie