Our Martin Luther King Day

Old January 21st 05, 06:27 PM
Claire Petersky

Default Our Martin Luther King Day

What we did on Martin Luther King Day:

It was absolutely pouring down rain here, and cold. Everyone had to get a
hat, gloves, sturdy shoes, and rain coat. Rose and Emma made signs. We
took our flag, because I would like our country to stand for freedom,
equality and justice. Since it was raining so hard, we decided to drive to
the start of the march. My kids don't have much truck with listening to
speeches, so I decided we'd come just before the march was scheduled to
begin. We listened to two or three speeches, and then it was out into the
wet.

It didn't take long before our feet were soaked, and jeans had wicked up
rain water up to our knees. About half way though the march, the kids put
the signs in the recycling bin because they were so soggy they weren't
holding up. We sang some songs, because even if your sign gets ruined in
the rain, your voice usually won't be.

We always thank the police officers whenever we do any march - even peace
marches when they are in riot gear and try to look so intimidating. They
weren't so intimidatingly decked out for this march. I felt sorry for the
officers on bikes, as they looked particularly soakingly wet.

We were nearly three-quarters of the way to the courthouse where the march
was to end, and at this point our shoes were making "splorch splorch"
noises. It was also 1:30, and the fruit we ate during the speeches at noon
were no longer filling our stomachs. We decided to ditch the march, not
take it to the end, and go to a downtown food court for lunch.

Then we took the bus back to my office, which is also downtown. I made the
girls tea and hot cocoa. I have stashed in my office some clothes and we
changed into what dry things we could. We then took the bus back to the
car and drove home.

USAians -- what did you do on Martin Luther King Day?

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
I'm doing the Big Climb for my friend Dena! See:
http://www.active.com/donations/camp...?key=cpetersky

=====
Claire Petersky )
Home of the meditative cyclist: http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm