Where to find Domperidone & Oxytocin?

Old December 11th 05, 01:50 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Where to find Domperidone & Oxytocin?

Does anyone know where I can find both domperidone (Motilium) and oxytocin
(nasal spray)?

Thanks!

Old December 11th 05, 03:07 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Julie P. wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find both domperidone (Motilium) and oxytocin
(nasal spray)?

I've got some of the oxytocin in my fridge...

They're both available by prescription only in the US. My doctor (OB)
had never heard of domperidone (he said, "Dom Perignon??" *sigh*) so he
was unwilling to prescribe it for me. He gave me Reglan. I went to my
GP (who is also our ped) and talked to him about the oxytocin, and he
gave it to me. It took a little convincing, and I'm pretty sure he
consulted with my OB about it! Neither one of them had heard of the
Oxytocin spray, either. You'd think these guys didn't have the
internet...

Anyway, I had to go to what's called a "compounding pharmacy" to get
the oxytocin, and domperidone has to be compounded, too. Basically,
they make them up from scratch, rather than having them shipped in from
the pharmaceutical company. God only knows what the raw ingredients
are... I was afraid to ask! It took about 24 hours to get the nasal
spray, and to be honest, I don't think it did much good. I think I was
letting down, but I couldn't feel it (still can't). I didn't feel
anything different on the nasal spray. The reglan, on the other hand,
really did make a difference.

If you can talk your doc into prescribing it, they can tell you where
the nearest compounding pharmacy is. I live in a fairly smallish town,
and we have two. But the big chains are unlikely to compound - you're
going to want to go to one of the small, locally owned sort of
pharmacies.

I also took tons and tons and tons of fenugreek. I've only recently
weaned myself off of that (once she hit the 35th percentile for weight,
I figured we were in the clear). Brewer's Yeast, I think, gave us both
gas. Don't bother with the fenugreek tea, you'd have to drink quarts
of it to get enough. Take the tablets, and take enough of them that
you smell like maple (I still smell funny, and I'm off of it. I wonder
if my BO will ever be the same!!).

What makes you think that you are having supply problems?

Amy

Old December 11th 05, 03:56 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Amy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Julie P. wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find both domperidone (Motilium) and
oxytocin
(nasal spray)?

I've got some of the oxytocin in my fridge...

They're both available by prescription only in the US. My doctor (OB)
had never heard of domperidone (he said, "Dom Perignon??" *sigh*) so he
was unwilling to prescribe it for me. He gave me Reglan. I went to my
GP (who is also our ped) and talked to him about the oxytocin, and he
gave it to me. It took a little convincing, and I'm pretty sure he
consulted with my OB about it! Neither one of them had heard of the
Oxytocin spray, either. You'd think these guys didn't have the
internet...

I thought about Reglan, but it looks like there are too many negative side
effects, like depression.

Anyway, I had to go to what's called a "compounding pharmacy" to get
the oxytocin, and domperidone has to be compounded, too. Basically,
they make them up from scratch, rather than having them shipped in from
the pharmaceutical company. God only knows what the raw ingredients
are... I was afraid to ask! It took about 24 hours to get the nasal
spray, and to be honest, I don't think it did much good. I think I was
letting down, but I couldn't feel it (still can't). I didn't feel
anything different on the nasal spray. The reglan, on the other hand,
really did make a difference.

Yeah, I read the nasal spray was no longer being manufactured (Syntocinon),
so I guess a compounding pharmacy would be the best route then. Although it
is also available in an IV form for use during labor (but kind of hard to
use on yourself though out of the hospital :-) ).

Re the oxytocin, I guess it also helps promote mother-child bonding, as well
as partner bonding and trust, from what I've read. I hope this does work.
We'll see. I'm sorry it didn't work for your though. Maybe I will have to
try Reglan too,but I'm scared to do that.

Oh, and after I made my first post here, I found domperidone online for a
low cost, via some pharmacies abroad. No prescription is required:

http://www.globaldrug.tv/category.asp?CtgID=1003

http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/general/motilium.html

If you can talk your doc into prescribing it, they can tell you where
the nearest compounding pharmacy is. I live in a fairly smallish town,
and we have two. But the big chains are unlikely to compound - you're
going to want to go to one of the small, locally owned sort of
pharmacies.

I also took tons and tons and tons of fenugreek. I've only recently
weaned myself off of that (once she hit the 35th percentile for weight,
I figured we were in the clear). Brewer's Yeast, I think, gave us both
gas. Don't bother with the fenugreek tea, you'd have to drink quarts
of it to get enough. Take the tablets, and take enough of them that
you smell like maple (I still smell funny, and I'm off of it. I wonder
if my BO will ever be the same!!).

Seems like a pleasant smell!

The only thing that worries be about herbals such as Fenugreek is I read
that they sometimes compete with your body's own Prolactin and Oxytocin,
thereby actually lowering the ability to lactate.

What makes you think that you are having supply problems?

Well, I didn't really produce a lot of milk for my first, so I am worried
this will also be the same the second time around. We'll see...

Julie

Old December 11th 05, 04:49 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Julie P. wrote:

I thought about Reglan, but it looks like there are too many negative side
effects, like depression.

I have a history of depression, and I did have some postpartum (look,
girls, I can finally admit it! Hooray for me!). I can't honestly say
whether or not the Reglan contributed to it, but taking Zoloft helped,
and here I am at 4 months PP and I'm back to my old self...

Yeah, I read the nasal spray was no longer being manufactured (Syntocinon),
so I guess a compounding pharmacy would be the best route then. Although it
is also available in an IV form for use during labor (but kind of hard to
use on yourself though out of the hospital :-) ).

I think that would be a bit difficult, unless you happen to like
needles.

Re the oxytocin, I guess it also helps promote mother-child bonding, as well
as partner bonding and trust, from what I've read.

So they say. I honestly didn't notice anything (physical or emotional)
except a very sore nose... It burns like crazy.

I hope this does work.
We'll see. I'm sorry it didn't work for your though.

Well, in the long run, we're still breastfeeding, and I quit trying to
supplement long ago (as she kept spitting it across the room a la the
Exorcist...). I felt very much like a science experiment for a while.
It was really, really frustrating. In the end, what really truly fixed
it was a consult with a GOOD lactation consultant (many of them suck,
no pun intended), who fixed our latch. The afternoon after I saw her,
I leaked through my shirt for the first time since my kid was born...
Gosh, I think she was 8 or 10 weeks old at that point. Things are WAY
better now. In fact, I've been sitting here thinking, "I'd better go
wake her up to eat, or I'm going to pop!"

Maybe I will have to
try Reglan too,but I'm scared to do that.

I was, too. I actually had the prescription for several weeks before I
worked up the guts to take it, but it wasn't that bad. As long as
you've got someone you trust around, who can monitor you for losing
your mind a little and talk you into getting help if you end up needing
it, you should be cool...

Oh, and after I made my first post here, I found domperidone online for a
low cost, via some pharmacies abroad. No prescription is required:

http://www.globaldrug.tv/category.asp?CtgID=1003

http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/general/motilium.html

Online pharmacies scare me more than formula does. YMMV.

I also took tons and tons and tons of fenugreek. I've only recently
weaned myself off of that (once she hit the 35th percentile for weight,
I figured we were in the clear). Brewer's Yeast, I think, gave us both
gas. Don't bother with the fenugreek tea, you'd have to drink quarts
of it to get enough. Take the tablets, and take enough of them that
you smell like maple (I still smell funny, and I'm off of it. I wonder
if my BO will ever be the same!!).

Seems like a pleasant smell!

You'd think, but it's more like maple syrup mixed with BO, and that's
not cool at all. Plus, it's really weird to have had one smell your
whole life (or at least since puberty) and to have that change. It
makes you much more aware of your own odor, which could be a good
thing, I guess. I've been going through TONS of deodorant, though, and
I've switched brands twice since starting the fenugreek! Hahhaa...

The only thing that worries be about herbals such as Fenugreek is I read
that they sometimes compete with your body's own Prolactin and Oxytocin,
thereby actually lowering the ability to lactate.

Could be. I'm not sure if that happened to me or not. I tried so
much, it's hard to say. A walking science experiment, I was...

What makes you think that you are having supply problems?

Well, I didn't really produce a lot of milk for my first, so I am worried
this will also be the same the second time around. We'll see...

I know for sure that worrying isn't going to help, any. Easier said
than done. Kellymom.com has a lot of good info about supply issues...

Hope that it turns out that you have enough to feed an army!
Amy

Old December 11th 05, 06:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Julie P. wrote:
http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/general/motilium.html

I have bought it several times from this pharmacy, and I got the
domperidone and it did increase my milk supply.

KC

Old December 13th 05, 06:04 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Hugs, Amy, was Where to find Domperidone & Oxytocin?

"Amy" wrote and I snipped:

I have a history of depression, and I did have some postpartum (look,
girls, I can finally admit it! Hooray for me!). I can't honestly say
whether or not the Reglan contributed to it, but taking Zoloft helped,
and here I am at 4 months PP and I'm back to my old self...

I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better (and are talking/writing
about it). Some of your posts sounded like it could have been me after DD.
Keep taking care of yourself. It sounds like your baby is doing well.

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old December 15th 05, 09:54 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

PattyMomVA wrote:
"Amy" wrote and I snipped:

I have a history of depression, and I did have some postpartum (look,
girls, I can finally admit it! Hooray for me!). I can't honestly say
whether or not the Reglan contributed to it, but taking Zoloft helped,
and here I am at 4 months PP and I'm back to my old self...

I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better (and are talking/writing
about it). Some of your posts sounded like it could have been me after DD.
Keep taking care of yourself. It sounds like your baby is doing well.

Thanks, Patty! I am doing a lot better. I didn't realize what a mess
I was. I'm starting to feel like my old self - a Christmas miracle!

MG is AWESOME. She's learning so much, and she changes every day.
It's such a joy to watch her. She just blows my mind. It's so nice to
be able to enjoy her - for a while there I was afraid I never would.
PPD sucks.

Hugs,
Amy

Grandparents find little help raising grandchildren wexwimpy Foster Parents 0 October 2nd 05 06:01 PM
misc.kids FAQ on Prenatal Testing - Overview and Personal Stories [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 September 29th 04 05:18 AM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
Oxytocin screaming Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 November 2nd 03 11:03 PM
Switching from Domperidone to Reglan? Vijay Breastfeeding 0 October 24th 03 05:11 PM