Painful new experience

Old December 7th 05, 12:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Painful new experience

I've been nursing DS2 and pumping for DD (twins) for almost 4 months now
without problems. A couple of days ago, my right breast was a bit tender
to the touch, but didn't feel abnormal. Yesterday I noticed it was painful
when DS2 nursed from it, but felt OK when pumping. In the evening the
lower half felt like a bag of beans: lots of painful, hard, small knots.
The upper half felt normal soft and smooth (like the left breast).

I massaged the knots as gently as I could, had DS2 nurse from it a couple
more times. Through the night the breast was very painful, and at 6AM I
decided it was time for nursing or I would scream. I massaged the areas I
could reach while DS2 drank. They felt a bit softer afterwards, but still
painful.

In the shower I noticed a tiny white spot on the lower half of my nipple,
about 1mm in size. Now I suspect that a milk duct is plugged in there,
partially blocking milk flow from the lower half of my breast. Or is this
complete nonsense? Some milk flows past when I try to express by hand.
Anything else that might cause these weird symptoms?

The pain is slowly getting less, the knots seem softer, and I have no
fever. Beside massage, plenty nursing, and keeping the breast warm, is
there anything else I can do? If it is a plugged duct, does that unplug
itself? I've never had one before, nor anything like this...

--
--I
mommy to DS1 (July '02)
Old December 7th 05, 02:32 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

What I do when I get this is open the duct having the white clog spot with a
needle and express underwater in the tub so I can visualize the individual
ducts and know when that particular duct is flowing (the flows all merge
into one on dry land). I then hand express that duct until I can't feel any
more lumps and/or I can't see milk coming out of that duct underwater
anymore and I think it's "empty". I've never had what you describe resolve
on its own. I have sometimes just opened one with a needle and had a child
nurse immediately.

-- Dagny
milk bar open continuously since 10/03

Old December 7th 05, 07:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

anymore and I think it's "empty". I've never had what you describe
resolve
on its own. I have sometimes just opened one with a needle and had a
child nurse immediately.

I have had some resolve without the needle, I only reach for the needle
instantly if there is a very obvious blister as opposed to just a white spot
that may or may not be the blockage, difficult to explain the difference,
but I've definitely had both, sometimes even at the same time.

Anne

Old December 7th 05, 10:35 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Ilse Witch wrote:

The pain is slowly getting less, the knots seem softer, and I have no
fever. Beside massage, plenty nursing, and keeping the breast warm, is
there anything else I can do? If it is a plugged duct, does that
unplug itself? I've never had one before, nor anything like this...

It sounds like a plugged duct to me. I've had them twice. They both
unplugged. Mine were either on the top or on the side so it might be
different but when you do the message, start from way out away from the plug
so you are sure you are behind it. I started way up under my arm pit. I
used the message before and during nursing sessions and message and hand
expression in the hot shower. Tylenol or ibuprofen helps if it really
hurts. I could never remember if the child should nurse with their nose or
chin pointed toward the plugged duct so I generally had them do both at
various times :-) Still can't remember, lol.

I just found out I was expecting twins and I have a lot of questions about
nursing and everything else under the sun but haven't had time to post them.
You can be my fearless leader next spring :-D.

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old December 8th 05, 12:54 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Nikki" wrote in message
news:QoqdnbdMwuoXyArenZ2dnUVZ_t2dnZ2d@prairiewave. com...

I just found out I was expecting twins and I have a lot of questions about
nursing and everything else under the sun but haven't had time to post
them. You can be my fearless leader next spring :-D.

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99
Luke 4/01
Thing One and Thing Two :-) EDD 4/06

congratulations, nikki!
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS1 20th august 2002

"In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul."
--Lisa T. Shepherd

Old December 8th 05, 04:47 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

" I could never remember if the child should nurse with their nose or
chin pointed toward the plugged duct so I generally had them do both at
various times :-)"

Their CHIN should be near the plug. The only way I got my last one out
was to crouch over Micah with my boob hanging down and have him nurse
like I was a cow. I felt like a complete idiot, but it worked like a
charm. The needle trick works for me sometimes and not others; I flick
at the dot until it comes out, and then the milk starts pouring out --
it only takes about a minute of expressing after you get the plug out.
But like Anne said, sometimes it's really hard to tell if it's actually
a plug, or just some random lighter-colored dot on your nipple. I've
desperately whaled away at dots that weren't plugs, and that sucks.

I was getting them all the time for a few months, and then I started
taking... oh crap... someone help out here, the emulsifier... LECITHIN!
That was the wonder pill for me; my plugs ceased almost immediately.

Good luck! Plugs bite the big one.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old December 8th 05, 01:50 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 15:35:06 -0600, Nikki wrote:

I just found out I was expecting twins and I have a lot of questions
about nursing and everything else under the sun but haven't had time to
post them. You can be my fearless leader next spring :-D.

Congrats Nikki!! But don't count on me being too fearless...;-)

Nursing twins is no different from nursing singletons, the only difficulty
I had was the start, when milk didn't come in quick enough for both. So I
supplemented and pumped like crazy in between feeds, within 10 days my
supply was enough for both and they have been exclusively fed on mommy
milk since then. It was a lot of hard work, but worth it!

If you have any specific questions about the pregnancy or anything else,
please feel free to drop me a mail at ivbemmel AT yahoo DOT com.

Old December 8th 05, 01:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

A quick update: everything is back to normal today, still a bit sensitive,
but milk flow and breast tissue are as usual. I prodded a bit at the white
spot on my nipple and noticed that it was indeed a tiny blister, but it
had already opened up by itself.

Sounds like DS2 is hungry, gotta go!

Old December 8th 05, 04:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"emilymr" wrote and I snipped:
The needle trick works for me sometimes and not others; I flick
at the dot until it comes out, and then the milk starts pouring out --
it only takes about a minute of expressing after you get the plug out.
But like Anne said, sometimes it's really hard to tell if it's actually
a plug, or just some random lighter-colored dot on your nipple. I've
desperately whaled away at dots that weren't plugs, and that sucks.

For newer readers/moms, I wanted to point out that a plugged duct should not
be cleared at home using a needle. It's a clogged nipple pore (or bleb)
that you can use a needle on.

Agree?

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old December 8th 05, 04:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

PattyMomVA wrote:
For newer readers/moms, I wanted to point out that a plugged duct
should not be cleared at home using a needle. It's a clogged nipple
pore (or bleb) that you can use a needle on.

Agree?

I was confused at the needle advice myself. I never saw anything that a
needle would fix when I had my plugged ducts.

I also wanted to mention that Ilse should think back to anything different
she did that may have caused the plug. I wore underwire nursing bras that
did not cause any problem at all but the two times I wore my non-maturnity
sports bra to bed (because it was more comfy then the underwire) I got
plugged ducts. I think because I had to hike it up from the bottom and the
band put pressure where it shouldn't have been.