ear infection/breastmilk question

Old December 12th 05, 11:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default ear infection/breastmilk question

Hi, all -- Micah's got his first ear infection, and several people have
suggested squirting breastmilk in his ear to help clear it out.
However, his ped said one of the reasons kids get ear infections in the
first place is because their inner ear doesn't drain effectively, and
liquids (inc. breastmilk) pool up in there when they drink/nurse lying
down. I know lots of people view breastmilk as the miracle liquid, but
wouldn't squirting milk into the ear facilitate further bacteria
breeding and make the infection even worse?

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old December 12th 05, 11:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I thought the ear drum was a membrane that protects the inner ear from
fluid? So by pouring milk into the ear you're not actually going to get to
where the infection is. But I'm not a doctor.
I've used breastmilk on cord stumps and sticky eyes, but have never heard of
anyone using it on ears.
morag

ups.com...

Old December 13th 05, 01:23 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Morag in Oxford" wrote in message
I thought the ear drum was a membrane that protects the inner ear from
fluid? So by pouring milk into the ear you're not actually going to get to
where the infection is.

That's what I was thinking. Unless the ear drum has ruptured, nothing can
get inside it from the outer ear anyway. The paediatrician sounds confused,
as fluids that contribute to ear infections don't travel into the inner ear
from the outer ear! It's usually a problem while bottle-feeding (regardless
of what is in the bottle) as bottles tend to leak milk even when they are
not being sucked on, and the sucking action used is quite different. I think
some children are just prone to ear infections regardless, and that could
well be the case with Micah.

But I'm not a doctor.
I've used breastmilk on cord stumps and sticky eyes, but have never heard
of anyone using it on ears.

I have, though I have no clue if it's effective or not. Putting anything
into an ear where the drum could have ruptured seems undesirable though.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old December 13th 05, 01:54 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I'll third that. (Someone has already seconded)

Larry

Morag in Oxford writes:
: I thought the ear drum was a membrane that protects the inner ear from
: fluid? So by pouring milk into the ear you're not actually going to get to
: where the infection is. But I'm not a doctor.
: I've used breastmilk on cord stumps and sticky eyes, but have never heard of
: anyone using it on ears.
: morag

: "emilymr" wrote in message
: ups.com...
: Hi, all -- Micah's got his first ear infection, and several people have
: suggested squirting breastmilk in his ear to help clear it out.
: However, his ped said one of the reasons kids get ear infections in the
: first place is because their inner ear doesn't drain effectively, and
: liquids (inc. breastmilk) pool up in there when they drink/nurse lying
: down. I know lots of people view breastmilk as the miracle liquid, but
: wouldn't squirting milk into the ear facilitate further bacteria
: breeding and make the infection even worse?
:
: Em
: mama to Micah, 11/14/04
:

Old December 13th 05, 02:12 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hmm, I *think* what he was saying was that the fluids could build up in
the *throat* and get into the inner ear when the baby was eating in a
prone position, not that they were coming in via the outer ear (like if
he were laying in a pool of leaked milk). I didn't get a chance to get
a good look at the nifty diagram he was drawing on the examining table
paper, though; I'll have to double check with DH.

In any case, it sounds like squirting milk in would be ineffectual at
best?

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old December 13th 05, 03:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"emilymr" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, all -- Micah's got his first ear infection, and several people have
suggested squirting breastmilk in his ear to help clear it out.
However, his ped said one of the reasons kids get ear infections in the
first place is because their inner ear doesn't drain effectively, and
liquids (inc. breastmilk) pool up in there when they drink/nurse lying
down. I know lots of people view breastmilk as the miracle liquid, but
wouldn't squirting milk into the ear facilitate further bacteria
breeding and make the infection even worse?

The infected fluid is behind the eardrum, it won't work.

JennP. (mom to jessica, 13 months, frequent and persistent ear infections)

Old December 13th 05, 05:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Fourth it:-)

The only way anything is going to get to the infected fluid is through
a perforation in the eardrum and I don't believe breastmilk has any
anesthetic properties so it really is of no use at all in the outer
ear. Even though I use breastmilk in goopy eyes and in snotty noses I
would never put anything besides sterile ear drops in my kids ear (or
my own for that matter), especially if it was perforated-that direct
line to the brain is not something I want to play around with.

The 'nice' thing about a perf is that is allows the infected fluid to
drain and I think that adding addt'l fluid via breastmilk would defeat
that purpose.

Karen

If Micah is uncomfortable even with the abx ask the pediatrician for
some anesthetic ear drops ( brand name:Auralgam-although my ENT gives
me a different brand that I find more effective-don't recall the name).
Between the drops, Motrin and warm packs to the ear all but the most
severe infections are soothed.
Hope the little guy feels better soon

Old December 13th 05, 12:04 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Morag in Oxford wrote:

I thought the ear drum was a membrane that protects the inner ear from
fluid? So by pouring milk into the ear you're not actually going to get to
where the infection is.

Exactly.
On the other hand, putting milk into the outer ear will give all the
appearances of curing maybe 90-95% of middle ear infections...

Lara
Old December 13th 05, 12:44 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I've put bm in DSs ears, but he was gunky on the outside with no evidence of
a true ear infection, it seemed to help.

Anne

Old December 14th 05, 12:41 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Kmom" wrote in message
oups.com.gnresend...

The 'nice' thing about a perf is that is allows the infected fluid to
drain and I think that adding addt'l fluid via breastmilk would defeat
that purpose.

Yeah, I forgot to add that an ear infection that leads to a perforated
eardrum serves a purpose. Otherwise a perforated eardrum sounds pretty
scary. Those things heal, of course.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

Question for Dr. Sarah Vaughan Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 5 October 25th 04 10:14 PM
Doan lies yet again..was.. Kane0 lies again Doan's phony offer to "debate" Kane Spanking 6 May 14th 04 02:10 AM
Classic Droan was R R R R, should I DOUBLE DARE HIM? ..was... LaVonne Kane Spanking 0 April 17th 04 07:13 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 04:28 AM