nipple confusion -- urgent!

Old April 7th 04, 07:59 PM
Mary W.

Default nipple confusion -- urgent!

toypup wrote:

"Mary W." wrote in message

Irene wrote:

"Mary W." wrote in message

to leave the house for awhile. She should try different nipples. DD
only took the playtex nurser and just barely.

It seems like an awful lot of the babies who don't like bottles ended
up on the Playtex nurser system, so I'd definitely give that a try.
(Of course, I may just think that because ds ended up on them, too!)

I always recommend it to people who are having trouble and it
often works!

That's not the one with the flat, nubby nipple, is it? Or are you talking
about the rubber nipple one with the wide mouth base? We have the one with
the wide mouth base. I like the softness of the rubber, I'm not sure if DD
does. DH has only been able to get DD to take maybe an ounce or two at a
feed so far.

Its the one that was available at the grocery store From this site:
http://www.playtexbaby.com/bottlesan...ts/nipples.asp

The nipple on the bottom is the most like the one we used, I think.
They seemed to have changed since we used a bottle (2 years ago).
We did use a slow flow nipple.

And for what its worth, DD often would take only 2-3 ounces per
feed. Her biggest feed ever was 5 ounces from a bottle. She
wouldn't take anything from the Avent nipple or the Gerber
nipple we tried. A couple of ounces here and there seemed to
keep her content until I could get home and she could nurse.

Mary

Old April 7th 04, 10:14 PM
Akuvikate

Sara wrote in message ...
This is from the mom of one of Ollie's playmates:

Hello everyone,
I'm seeking a bit of advice again...
My son Logan, 13 weeks, is refusing to take the bottle.* For three straight
days, I've tried giving him a bottle, (sadly, starving him) for up to 5 1/2
hours and have made very very little progress.** The crazy thing is that he
actually used to have all his meals thru a bottle when I had latch-on
problems and now my problem is reversed.* Does anyone have any helpful hints
for me?** I have to go back to work next month and am very scared he'll*never
do it or that I'll dehydrate him in the process of trying.
Desperate,
Jenn C.

She has a lactation consultant she can talk to, but the more help the
better. (I'm going to send her a Google Groups URL when all the
helpful replies start coming in.)

Unlikely to be the issue, but she should also smell or taste her milk
(assuming she's using pumped milk). We had bottle trouble for a while
that was solved by two steps. One, switching to the playtex nurser
with the stubby nipple that others have recommended. Two was scalding
my milk right after pumping because my lipase levels cause the stuff
to get *nasty* after it had been stored for more than a day.

Kate
and the Bug, 10 months

nipple confusion advice toypup Breastfeeding 13 February 19th 04 05:35 AM
When to reintroduce pacifier/bottles after nipple confusion? Lora R Breastfeeding 1 November 19th 03 02:17 PM
Nipple Confusion? Mark Duddridge Breastfeeding 2 September 14th 03 03:49 AM
BF advice Ben Breastfeeding 17 July 25th 03 07:00 PM
How late can nipple confusion occur? Jodie Breastfeeding 9 July 24th 03 05:02 AM