Mineral supplements

Old April 8th 04, 08:35 PM
zeldabee

Default Mineral supplements

Cheryl S. was all, like:
At Jaden's 6 month check up he was prescribed a fluoride supplement.
It is just a routine thing at this pediatric practice. He is not at
any specific risk for dental caries. I did some research just now
and in several places came across this table (advance apologies for
any formatting problems)

From the AAP:

"During the period from 6 months to 3 years of age, breastfed infants (and
formula-fed infants) require fluoride supplementation only if the water
supply is severely deficient in fluoride (0.3 ppm)."

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...ics;100/6/1035

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K306139F7

My ped prescribed fluoride for Sprogly when he was 3 or 4 months old
(something the AAP specifically does not recommend). I didn't give it to
him. NYC's water supply is fluoridated, so he's getting it whether I want
him to or not...but fluoride supplementation is no longer an issue for us...

Old April 8th 04, 10:27 PM
Cat

"Karen" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
"Cheryl S." wrote in message
Have the others here had their baby prescribed fluoride, and did you
give it to your baby?

I was prescribed it for the first 4 babies and never gave it to them.
My current pediatrician doesn't prescribe fluoride routinely if you
have city water. I don't know what she does if you have well water.
She also doesn't give out Vitamin D (at least to my ultra fair skinned
kids) or recommend supplementing with iron unless baby is anemic.

Karen

I spent year 2-6 in New York - otherwise coming from Denmark. After 4.5
years we returned to Denmark. We don't have flouride in the water here - at
least not very much. My dentist at age 17 (my age, not the dentist's)
commented on certain white spots on my teeth and asked me where I had been
living. It is simply not seen here. No-one ever adds flouride to anyones
food - it's not for eating. We gargle in it or use it in tooth paste, but
only in tooth paste for older kids or adults, so that they do not eat it by
accident.

Tine, Denmark

Old April 8th 04, 10:28 PM
Cat

"Cat" skrev i en meddelelse
. dk...
"Karen" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
"Cheryl S." wrote in message
[...]

Hubby kindly informs me that flouride IS added to the water here :-)

I didn't know. I would never have guessed.

Tine, Denmark