Does my baby need iron? Am I doing the right thing?

Old April 8th 04, 03:00 PM
Cheryl S.

Default Does my baby need iron? Am I doing the right thing?

wrote in message
om...
At his 6 month WBV (which was really at 7 months), the
doctor said I should start giving him cereal once a day
because it's a 'good source of iron'.

Well, cheerios *are* cereal g, and a good source of iron, so I can't
see what the doctor thinks the problem with that is. I think the doctor
just doesn't see many 6 month olds who can eat cheerios, and was giving
you generic advice. Most babies probably don't eat them until around 9
months, and would have more need to eat the mushy stuff until then. You
can always get his iron checked at his next WBV to be sure, but I
wouldn't struggle to try to make him eat baby cereal given the rest of
his diet.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 7 months

Old April 8th 04, 05:12 PM
Lucy

wrote in message
om...
DS is 8 months old this weekend. We started solids about 10 days
before he turned 6 months old. We never did cereal or jarred baby food
and he almost instantly started self-feeding. He really won't eat
hardly anything off of a spoon. He eats a huge amount of cheerios
every day (at least 1/3 a cup a day, but probably more on most days).
In addition, he has a fruit and veggie every day for lunch. He eats
two snacks a day which may include graham crackers, saltines (reduced
sodium), cheese, yogurt, applesauce, fruit, nutri-grain bars, goldfish
crackers, and/or wagon wheels. His lunch and snacks are given at day
care.

You are way ahead of where DD and I were at 8 months. At that age, she
refused virtually everything except breast milk, so I constantly worried
about iron. She never had any problems though.

Since your DS is eating such a wide variety of foods, I don't see any reason
to give him baby cereal. Cheerios are also enriched with iron, as are
Nutri-Grain bars (although Nutri-Grain bars are mostly enriched with sugar
) ) Legumes, including peas, I thought are naturally high in iron.

He probably won't take the cereal anyway, if, as you say, he doesn't like to
eat from a spoon. Funnily enough, my DD is completely the opposite and will
only eat from a spoon. Even things like pizza! She just can't stand getting
her hands dirty. She's 16 months now though, so she spoon feeds herself.

Lucy

Old April 8th 04, 06:31 PM
Beth

wrote in message
om...
DS is 8 months old this weekend. We started solids about 10 days
before he turned 6 months old.

I would not worry about it. Just have his hemoglobin tested if you are
worried.

My DS BFed exclusively until he was 11 months old and had excellent iron
stores. What I've learned from the same sources as you is that iron
supplements and fortified foods may damage the gut and impede iron
absorption from breast milk, so I skiped cereals and vitamins for baby.

Beth

Old April 9th 04, 02:37 PM
Manda

top-posting to say this is the original poster, but i changed my ISP -
actual message below

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
wrote in message
om...
At his 6 month WBV (which was really at 7 months), the
doctor said I should start giving him cereal once a day
because it's a 'good source of iron'.

Well, cheerios *are* cereal g, and a good source of iron, so I can't
see what the doctor thinks the problem with that is.

That's what I thought! It's just crunchy instead of smushy. g

I think the doctor
just doesn't see many 6 month olds who can eat cheerios, and was giving
you generic advice. Most babies probably don't eat them until around 9
months, and would have more need to eat the mushy stuff until then.

He never really ate much mushy stuff. He pretty much went straight to finger
foods. He'll let me feed him a little bit of stuff on a spoon, but not much.

You
can always get his iron checked at his next WBV to be sure, but I
wouldn't struggle to try to make him eat baby cereal given the rest of
his diet.

How do they check iron? Is it a full blood draw or just a prick?

Thanks,
Manda

Old April 9th 04, 02:42 PM
Nikki

Manda wrote:

How do they check iron? Is it a full blood draw or just a prick?

My boys had finger pricks.
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)