what happened to baby whisperer website??

Old March 30th 04, 03:55 AM

Default what happened to baby whisperer website??

Larry McMahan wrote:

It is hard to answer scientifically, because few studies have been done,
I suspect because a lot of researchers show the same bias you express
above. :-) However, anecdotally from personaly experience involve our

The bias I express above? That's pretty insulting. I asked a question
about breast feeding on a breast feeding newsgroup...with an open mind
to answers.

And that demonstrates a bias??

Old March 30th 04, 04:06 AM

GlintingHedgehog wrote:

She *claims* to be pro-bfing, but says "While I agree that human milk is
undoubtedly best for babies, we mustn't go overboard. The oft-quoted
research findings represent statistical probabilities; breastfed babies
sometimes contract these diseases too"...which is true, but it's not really
a very pro-bf attitude, is it? A bit like "we know smoking causes cancer,
but it's all statistics, non-smokers get cancer too, so we mustn't be too
concerned about smoking" iyswim. And she displays a startling level of

No, I would agree with you. Like I said, I read the book a long time ago
and since our son is no longer an infant don't have any reason to re-read
it. She should do a better job of advocating breast feeding.

Since our son didn't seem to enjoy co-sleeping (he has reflux) we used some
of her advice to help him sleep better. All in all she had some good ideas
there and he's sleeping really well next to our bed in his bed now.

Oh well, YMMV. I wouldn't discredit all of someone's advice just because
you disagree with one or two points.
Old March 31st 04, 11:46 AM
Andrea

I have Kamron a BF baby almost 10 months old, and he has had one illness
after the other since birth. I don't think breastfeeding has done much to
help prevent illness for him.

Just my 10 pence worth.

Andrea mom of 5.

Old March 31st 04, 02:16 PM
GlintingHedgehog

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:46:37 +0100, Andreanospam wrote:

I have Kamron a BF baby almost 10 months old, and he has had one illness
after the other since birth. I don't think breastfeeding has done much to
help prevent illness for him.

Some babies do seem to be sick a lot, even if bf - statistics are
statistics, of course, & don't necessarily tell us anything about an
individual baby. As I mentioned in another thread, some people who don't
smoke still get cancer - we don't say "huh, not smoking didn't do any
good!"

You mention you're a mother of five - so it's likely your baby is exposed
to more germs than a baby who has no older siblings, especially if they're
at school or daycare, where they'd pick up a lot of things (& not
necessarily show any signs of being ill themselves, but still pass them
along to the baby). And of course we can't know how much your baby would
have been ill if he hadn't been bf, kwim?

FWIW, I've four children, all bf long-term, three of whom have had eczema
(two of them quite severely). And while I don't know for sure, I do believe
that their eczema would have been much worse if they hadn't been bf. I also
wonder if I would have fewer health issues myself if I *had* been bf :-\

--
Hedgehog
Old March 31st 04, 09:31 PM
toypup

"Dragon" wrote in message
m...
One big benefit of extended nursing is that you're much more likely to
get a nap out of your child than if they are no longer nursing. All
of the mothers I know who's children were weaned by age two have
children who no longer nap during the day. My DS, who turned 4 in
December, still takes an extended nap most afternoons. I attribute
this to nursing--we lay down together and it most certainly helps him
relax and drift off.

DS was weaned at 21 months. He's now 33 months. He naps 4 hours a day.

Old April 7th 04, 04:11 AM
Irene

"iphigenia" wrote in message ...
Larry McMahan wrote:
We have a daughter who would stop eating solid foods every time she
got the flu. She had a bad case at least three times after she was 2
and before she stopped nursing (at 5 1/2). Each time, our reaction
was "Thank god she is still nursing."

I couldn't agree more. Gabe had tonsillitis about a month ago. He would not
allow any food or drink past his lips, accepting only the breast. Had he not
been nursing, I expect I would have been worrying a lot about trying to get
Pedialyte and such into him, just to keep him hydrated. Breastmilk kept him
not only hydrated but getting calories, as well as immune system help.

I have to admit, I was a bit worried when ds had stomach flu (or
whatever it was) a couple of months ago, shortly post-weaning. I was
quite grateful he sucked down the pedialyte quite readily when he
really needed it, since I no longer had nursing as an option! I
remembered a few messages where people said their kids refused the
pedialyte and was a bit nervous...

Irene