Share vehicle, insurance expenses?

Old August 18th 03, 01:55 AM
Tiffany

Default Share vehicle, insurance expenses?

Moon Shyne wrote in message

"Tiffany" wrote in message

Moon Shyne wrote in message

"Tiffany" wrote in message

snipped

I understand that....... and he doesn't want to pay any money. Ok, so

don't.
But at least offer to help in some other way
It's not that hard to work out, if the whole idea is to be

co-parenting...... if
you don't like the other parent's way, fine,, don't like it. But do

*something*
that helps to reach the end goal.

Again, he wasn't given options, just a bill. But as TM has stated,

something
I missed and maybe you missed too was that he mentioned possibly that he
doesn't live in the same state as the daughter. That could mean he lives

far away to offer help, maybe not.

So he's too far away to be a father?

We are talking about rides from school for extra activities. Nice try.

Old August 18th 03, 02:08 AM
Tiffany

Moon Shyne wrote in message

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"teachrmama" wrote in message
.

I'm really not in a position to answer that one, TM - there is an

amount
of CS
paid by my ex because it's out of his control - it's forceibly

extracted
via
wage assignment. Aside from that, I don't ask him for anything,

because
he
wouldn't pay it anyway - he's currently in contempt of multiple

court
orders for
refusal to pay thing like 50% unreimbursed medical costs (beyond

what
is
covered
by insurance which only I provide), GAL fees that he's refused to
pay.......so
there's no point in my asking him to help with any expense, as all

it
would do
is give him the satisfaction of hanging up on me and

refusing.........
hell
with him.

It looks like he can just say "no--transportation
costs are covered by child support."

Which means he also says "no - can't do extracurricular activities
either.......
since I don't see him offering any alternative that would allow

the
child
take part in normal child activities........... at what point does

anyone
stop
to think what would be good for the child, by the way? Ever?

Let's look at that one a little more closely. The OP doesn't seem

feel
that it *is* in the best interests of the child to be driving at 14.

Yet he provides no basis, aside from he "doesn't like the idea" -

meanwhile, in
the big bad real world, it's 100% legal for a child that age to drive

for
the
purposes of going to school.

In the original post, the poster indicates that he does not live in the

same
state as his child. He says that driving at 14 is permitted "in that
state", not "in our state", which leads me to believe that they live in
different places. So running the child back and forth to her activities
would not be an alternative for him.

According to him, mom says it would be "difficult or impossible" for her

get the child places. Many, many parents work through the difficulties

of
transporting children to activities. It goes with the job! Maybe mom

could
arrange to transport daughter to the "difficult" activities, and she can
drop the "impossible" ones.

So leave it all to mom? So what, precisely, is dad's part in raising this
child? Anything?

Extracurricular activities not withstanding. Does his opinion count

on
that--or should he fork over the money because *mom* feels that the
activities make up for the driving?

Should the entire decision rest on nothing more than he "doesn't like

the
idea"?
At what point does a rational decision, based in the standards of the

community,
the maturity level of the child, and the accepted laws where she lives

come in?
Suppose dad "doesn't like the idea" of the child getting a haircut?

"Doesn't
like the idea" of the child being allowed to go out on a date?

"Doesn't
like
the idea" that the child doesn't like to eat brussels sprouts?

Believe it or not, Moon, we do not choose to raise our children based on

the
"standards of the community". We make the choices that we think are

best
for them. And we have been told that we are overprotective. A minor
example was a field trip to the zoo I did not permit one daughter to
participate in. The weather forecast said it would be 107 that

day--there
was no indoor area at the zoo to get out of the sun--and the children

would
be there for several hours, then go to a park for a picnic. My child is
very fair skinned, and I said no. But my child did not miss the next

three
days of school with a severe sunburn, along with half of her
classmates--which she would have if I had used the "standards of the
community" judgement. The standards of the community are secondary to

the
decisions of the parents, unless the parents are breaking the law.

I would hope that there is some reasonable middleground......... though,

in all
honesty, you're talking a pretty extreme example there.

When do the best interests of the child stop taking precedence over
everything else, BTW.

As long as what we're talking is legal, accepted by the community, and

in
this
case inevitable in the long run anyway, why *shouldn't* the best

interests
of
the child take precedence?

Because the *parents* get to make the decisions--not the community!

Besides
which, DAD doesn't think it IS in the best interests of the child!

And mom does.......... so how about a compromise? Isn't that what's best

for
the child?

I see that phrase used to justify a lot of pain
inflicted on others. What if my stepdaughter's mother took it into

her
head
that, since she is no longer permitted to drive, her daughter should

have a
car to drive around and do errands, activities, etc. Should my

husband
be
forced to pay the upkeep for that car, since it would be "in the

best
interests of the child"?

Different scenario - the OP specifically stated that the car was to go

school.

Nope--the child apparently can get back and forth to school without a

car
(probably by bus). It's the extracurricular activities she needs the

car
for. Probably no buses running for the activities--just for school

itself.

He already pays 85% of her total support. Should
he pay more? Our 2 daughters lost out on a lot when he started

paying
child
support. Which is ok, because the young lady needs to be supported.

But
should they lose out on even more because we need to consider her

best
interests when thinking about the car?

Running mom's errands isn't best interest - going to school certainly

is.

On the contrary, mom doesn't like to leave the apartment at

all--daughter
does all the shopping, etc. by begging rides from neighbors. Having a

car
would certainly help her out! And the daughter in the post needs the

car
for extracurricular activities--not for school itself.

And
if you go back to the OP, I believe the car purchased was a used one

which
they
fixed up? It's not like mom went out and bought daughter a beamer -

she
got the
child probably the same damned kind of car dad would have gotten her,

if
dad
wasn't getting so hung up on his daughter growing up enough to be

legally
able
to drive a car.

Dad has probably read the statistics on teenage drivers. He didn't

mention
growing up--he commented on concern for her safety. That is some

judgement
you've made about a man who has voiced his concern about the safety of

his
daughter!

We all make judgements, based on what we draw from our own

experiences.......
that's part of being human. I saw a post from a father who wants to point

what he considers problems, and saw nothing by way of solutions.

She is certainly the only child that
the court is concerned about. I think that, all to often, the "best
interests of the child" are a cover for something else.

Why is it that mom can't get the child to her activities?

OP didn't put that, though I didn't see him arguing that mom *could*

get
child
to activities, nor did I see any indication that dad offered to get

child
activities - did you?

I saw that he most likely lives in another state.

Which removes him from being a parent? Perhaps we should be asking why he

lives
so far away from the child? Perhaps we should be asking how accurate his

view
is of his child's maturity, since he's apparently too far away to be able

see, on a day to day basis?

It never accours to you that the CP parent moved away from the NCP? Why
assume that HE left??? Why assume he had a choice? (job, military, ect) And
he does spend summers with the child, if I recall from his post. You are
drawing to much from a post that lacks details not revelant to what the
poster has issues with.

Old August 18th 03, 02:09 AM
Moon Shyne

"Tiffany" wrote in message

Moon Shyne wrote in message

"Tiffany" wrote in message

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

[...]

everything else, BTW. I see that phrase used to justify a lot of

pain
inflicted on others. What if my stepdaughter's mother took it

into
her
head
that, since she is no longer permitted to drive, her daughter

should
have
car to drive around and do errands, activities, etc. Should my
husband be
forced to pay the upkeep for that car, since it would be "in the

best
interests of the child"? He already pays 85% of her total

support.
Should
he pay more? Our 2 daughters lost out on a lot when he started

paying
child
support. Which is ok, because the young lady needs to be

supported.
But
should they lose out on even more because we need to consider her

best
interests when thinking about the car? She is certainly the only
child
that
the court is concerned about. I think that, all to often, the

"best
interests of the child" are a cover for something else.

Why is it that mom can't get the child to her activities?

Certainly
hundreds of thousands of parents all over this country put aside

their
own
personal convenience to accomodate their children's activities.

And
probably an equal number of children miss out on activities

because
their
parents just can't get off work, etc, to make sure they get there.
And
the
majority of all of these parents are probably considering the best
interests
of their children. Why is it, when parents divorce, that one

parent
seems
to get permission to beat the other over the head with the "best
interests"
bat? And, again, dad does seem to have the best interests of his
daughter
at heart. Even if not everyone agrees with his opinion.

One more point. She would not be missing school, which is

imperative.
She
would be missing out on extracurricular activities--which are not
imperative. Yes, they contribute to a child's development. But

the
child
will survive without them. Thousands of children do. Although

they
may
be
enjoyable and healthy for the child, her "best interests" in

attending
them
do not necessarily overshadow dad's objections to her driving at

14,
and/or
his objections to paying an amount over and above court odered

child
support
to maintain a car for her.

Nice summery! Agreed here. The NCP is already paying his part of

those
things. I just don't think a 14 year old should be driving. Period.

Whether she should or should not be driving is really a non-issue.

It's
legal
where she lives.

Its not a non-issue. Whether its legal or not the NCP feels it is not in

the
kids best interest. He knows his kid, do you?

But you see, that's the rub - it doesn't matter if he thinks it's

reasonable or
not - the car is bought, the law says she can..........
so is he going to try to control something he can't, or is he going to try

to be
reasonable by offering an alternative (like offering to get her to and

from
extracurricular activities), that (in the process) gets him what he wants

(which
is for the child to not be driving) - me, I go for the most reasonable
alternative that, as a side bonus, gets me what I want - everyone goes

home
happy - total win/win situation.

And again, you are assuming that the CP consulted him before buying car.

No I'm not. It doesn't matter, in the end, if she consulted with him or not,
and it doesn't matter if he contributes to the cost or not. What can he offer
that helps reach the most goals for the most people, with the end result of
everyone (or the majority of people) being happy with the outcome?

Even if he does offer an alternative to offer rides, the car is bought now.

And that can be on mom and stepdad. But it doesn't address the bottom line of
how to make anyone happy at the end of the day.

Old August 18th 03, 02:18 AM
Moon Shyne

"Tiffany" wrote in message

Moon Shyne wrote in message

"Tiffany" wrote in message

Moon Shyne wrote in message

"Tiffany" wrote in message

snipped

I understand that....... and he doesn't want to pay any money. Ok, so
don't.
But at least offer to help in some other way
It's not that hard to work out, if the whole idea is to be
co-parenting...... if
you don't like the other parent's way, fine,, don't like it. But do
*something*
that helps to reach the end goal.

Again, he wasn't given options, just a bill. But as TM has stated,

something
I missed and maybe you missed too was that he mentioned possibly that he
doesn't live in the same state as the daughter. That could mean he lives

far away to offer help, maybe not.

So he's too far away to be a father?

We are talking about rides from school for extra activities. Nice try.

Isn't that part of what a parent does? Or is it only moms that are supposed to
do that stuff?

Old August 18th 03, 02:19 AM
Tiffany

Moon Shyne wrote in message

"Tiffany" wrote in message

Moon Shyne wrote in message

"Tiffany" wrote in message

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

[...]

He might not live close enough to help with rides. He might not be able to
fork out MORE money on top of his monthly CS payments. Chances of everyone
being happy are slim to none, Mom only asked for money for the car, that was
apparently her solution.