Mad @ OB - Vent and opinion request

Old August 25th 05, 03:52 PM
Cat

gina skrev:
Okay ladies. I posted a while back about TTC a girl and Shettles. Well,
I charted after going off the pill, and it turned into one 3 month
chart before I just had it. I've regularly taken a test, and they had
all been negative, then on Aug. 12th, I called my ob (after yet another
negative test that morning) because it had been since april when I'd
had my last period. She said come in and they were going to do a pelvic
and make sure things were cool. Well, since Saturday I've been
nauseous. I could no longer blame it on poor diet, so yesterday I took
a test, and it was positive. I had my OB visit today, and after waiting
an hour, I went up to the desk and told her my situation had changed
and that I was pregnant after all. After a check with doc, *they sent
me home*! They don't even want to see me until I'm 8-10 weeks along.

I live in Denmark - I believe first midwife session is around week 16.

8-10 seem very fine to me - great service compared to what I'm used to.

Tine, Denmark
Old August 25th 05, 05:56 PM
Elle

gina wrote:
Okay ladies. I posted a while back about TTC a girl and Shettles. Well,
I charted after going off the pill, and it turned into one 3 month
chart before I just had it. I've regularly taken a test, and they had
all been negative, then on Aug. 12th, I called my ob (after yet another
negative test that morning) because it had been since april when I'd
had my last period. She said come in and they were going to do a pelvic
and make sure things were cool. Well, since Saturday I've been
nauseous. I could no longer blame it on poor diet, so yesterday I took
a test, and it was positive. I had my OB visit today, and after waiting
an hour, I went up to the desk and told her my situation had changed
and that I was pregnant after all. After a check with doc, *they sent
me home*! They don't even want to see me until I'm 8-10 weeks along. I
don't know about you ladies, but have you ever heard this before???
They aren't even going to try and figure out how far along I am. Please
tell me I'm not crazy for not wanting to see this practice again...

The other question--at just how early in conception do those tests pick
up your hormones? I figure I'm about 3 weeks based on symptoms and
testing, but since they're not going to figure it out, I guess I'd
better. Advice?

Congrats on your pregnancy! Sometimes it can take a while for your
cycle to get back on track after quitting the pill. It sounds like you
got pregnant on your first post-pill ovulation, hence the lack of
periods before-hand. I guess you mean you are three weeks
post-ovulation? So that would be the equivalent to about 5 weeks
pregnant if you had a regular period. Tests can pick it up as early as
11 days past conception.

If that's the case I don't know what the OB could have done for you,
maybe just give you another pee test but you've already taken one
anyway. Just because they didn't date it now (that would be hard 'cause
there isn't really anything to see at this stage) doesn't mean they
won't do an ultrasound at your next appointment. So if this is the only
thing that bugs you about the practice I might be inclined to give them
a second chance & see how they are at the next appointment.

Elle

Old August 25th 05, 06:53 PM
Todd Gastaldo

in article ,
oregonchick at
wrote on 8/25/05 6:52 AM:

"gina" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Gina
DS Ian 4/02
DS John 5/00
D? 5/06?

I found out I was pregnant with an early home pregnancy test, it came back
positive several days before my period was due. I called the doc, and I
didn't go in to see her until I was about 8 or 9 weeks along. There just
isn't any reason to unless you are high risk. It might seem weird,
especially if you've never been pregnant before and you are looking for
reassurance. Be comforted with knowing that we've been doing this for
millions of years, and 99.9% of the time would probably survive without ANY
ob appts!

Betsy

I like Oregonchick/Betsy's sentiment, but I think her
99.9%-would-survive-without-ANY-ob-appts figure is way too high - even in
Western cultures.

As much as I criticize obstetricians for closing birth canals up to 30% and
keeping birth canals closed the "extra" up to 30% (among other examples of
grisly routine foolishness)...

Even if obstetricians and midwives stopped such grisly routine foolishness -
I strongly suspect there would still be need for life-saving obstetric
medical and surgical intervention that would far exceed .1% of births.

Still, I like Oregonchick/Betsy's sentiment.

Todd

Old August 28th 05, 07:01 PM
amandadavis1 amandadavis1 is offline
Junior Member

I agree with you. I think that the earliest possible care is the best care. As for the test, it is different for every woman when it will show up. Your best way to find out how far you are is an ultrasound.
Old August 28th 05, 10:01 PM
Ericka Kammerer

amandadavis1 wrote:
I agree with you. I think that the earliest possible care is the best
care.

Out of curiosity, why? I can see that in cases where women are
lacking basic information (don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't drink,
eat well, get enough folic acid, etc.), but none of those things are
rocket science or require medical care. I'm unaware of studies
showing that starting prenatal care before 8-12 weeks in a normal
population makes any difference.

Best wishes,
Ericka