due date

Old February 22nd 04, 12:56 AM
Clw31

Default due date

Hello,

This is my first pregnancy and I'm very confused by how due dates are
calculated and at how many weeks a pregnancy is considered full term.

I have been given an EDD of June 22, 2004. Based upon the records I've been
keeping of how many weeks pregnant I am, based upon last period and first
dating u/s at 7w2d, I will only be 36 weeks pregnant on the EDD.
I'm concerned that I'll have to fight an "early" induction, as my Ob/gyn gave
me the impression that if you go over your EDD by a few days they will induce.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Thank you,

Clare

Old February 22nd 04, 01:45 AM
HollyLewis

This is my first pregnancy and I'm very confused by how due dates are
calculated and at how many weeks a pregnancy is considered full term.

I have been given an EDD of June 22, 2004. Based upon the records I've been
keeping of how many weeks pregnant I am, based upon last period and first
dating u/s at 7w2d, I will only be 36 weeks pregnant on the EDD.
I'm concerned that I'll have to fight an "early" induction, as my Ob/gyn gave
me the impression that if you go over your EDD by a few days they will
induce.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Thank you,

Clare

Your EDD is typically 40 weeks after the first day of your last period. If you
know when you ovulated, and it was at a significantly different time than 14
days after the first day of your LMP, then you would adjust your EDD to 38
weeks after the date you ovulated -- though how receptive your doctors are to
this varies, as many of them don't have much experience with charting or
discount women's ability to do it. rolls eyes

If your dating u/s was at 7w2d by your calculations, what you need to know is,
did the u/s tech come up with a measurement of a significantly later date? If
so, that would explain why you were given an "official" EDD that's only 36
weeks after LMP. This might be appropriate if it's possible that you ovulated
*earlier* than is usual, but still, if I'm doing the math right, this would
imply that you ovulated *on* your LMP date, which seems unlikely to impossible.
So you should probably ask your doctor exactly how this date was calculated,
and, unless you were using the wrong # of weeks past LMP for your calculations,
I would guess it should be adjusted at least two weeks later.

Finally, you should not allow an induction until *at least* 2 weeks past your
EDD (barring some other reason for the induction, such as pre-eclampsia), or at
42 weeks. This is the standard -- a baby is considered "full term" when born
anywhere between 38 and 42 weeks, so your EDD is the midpoint of a 4-week
"normal" range -- and even the most induction-happy docs won't usually schedule
one (in a normal, healthy pregnancy) until 41.5 weeks. Certainly not at just a
few days past EDD.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old February 22nd 04, 03:18 AM
Jamie Clark

So when was your last period, and do you know when you ovulated? That
information is more helpful than just your due date.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clark_guest,
Password: Guest1
Password

Handmade Baby Blankets -- www.geocities.com/digit_the_cat/Blankets.html

Old February 22nd 04, 07:16 AM
K Sartori

im no sure if i am right but i read that our first week counts as the
first day of your last period. Kelly

Old February 22nd 04, 01:02 PM
Clw31

Thank you for replying.

My LMP was September 14, unfortunately, I don't know when I ovulated.
The first u/s techs gave us the date of 7w2d when we went for the appt, I just
gave them the LMP date and they used their judgement to give us a date.
Although at the time I was surprised when I went home and backtracked on the
calendar because it would have made conception be on September 16, 2 days after
my LMP. We did BD around that time, but I didn't think ovulation happens so
close to a period.

I am going to bring up my concerns with my ob/gyn.

Thanks, Clare
Old February 22nd 04, 10:34 PM
Fer

Clw31 wrote:
|| Thank you for replying.
|| My LMP was September 14, unfortunately, I don't know when I ovulated.
|| The first u/s techs gave us the date of 7w2d when we went for the
|| appt, I just gave them the LMP date and they used their judgement
|| to give us a date. Although at the time I was surprised when I went
|| home and backtracked on the calendar because it would have made
|| conception be on September 16, 2 days after my LMP. We did BD
|| around that time, but I didn't think ovulation happens so close to a
|| period.
|| I am going to bring up my concerns with my ob/gyn.
|| Thanks, Clare

Ok this seems like an easy one to me if I got all of the facts right. I say
easy since my last period was Sept 18th......

The EDD I was given was June 25th and that brings me to 40 weeks. If your
last period was just a few days before mine the EDD of June 22th makes
perfect sense (ovulation around end Sept begining of Oct).

BTW although it is not common one can ovulate during or right after their
'period'.

HTH!--?

Jenn
-WAHM
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-Jellyfish due June 25/04-less than half to go!!!

Old February 22nd 04, 11:07 PM
Mary W.

Clw31 wrote:
Thank you for replying.

My LMP was September 14, unfortunately, I don't know when I ovulated.
The first u/s techs gave us the date of 7w2d when we went for the appt, I just
gave them the LMP date and they used their judgement to give us a date.
Although at the time I was surprised when I went home and backtracked on the
calendar because it would have made conception be on September 16, 2 days after
my LMP. We did BD around that time, but I didn't think ovulation happens so
close to a period.

I didn't see the rest of this thread, so forgive me if I repeat
something. Did you know that the 7w2d includes the 2 weeks before
ovulation. So you would have ovulated 5w2d prior to your ultrasound.
Do your dates come out better then? (when was your ultrasound?)

Mary

Old February 23rd 04, 12:14 AM
Clw31

Maybe I need to go back and count the weeks again on my calendar because
somewhere I seem to have lost a month as my dates are about the same as yours
and you've calculated you'll be 40 weeks at your EDD.

Thank you!

Old February 23rd 04, 06:07 AM
Jamie Clark

It may not be technically accurate, but I always thought it it this way --
"pregnancy" is the state of your body preparing to/and carrying a fetus --
so you are "pregnant" for two weeks out of every month, as your body builds
the lining to prepare for conception to occur. When it doesn't, you have
your period and start again. When you do conceive, you've already been
preparing for 2 weeks, so your numbers start from the beginning of the
preparations, plus the 38 weeks gestation, making 40 weeks pregnant.

At least that's how I explain it to me...