How do i build relationship with my kid when i am hardly around?

Old December 16th 07, 08:14 PM posted to misc.kids
judy[_2_]

Default How do i build relationship with my kid when i am hardly around?

Hi all,
I have a post by a parent. I guess i am equally wanting to have an
answer to this question myself! I've been busy traveling due to work
commitments and hardly spent any quality time with my 3 year old. Any
one have any good suggestions?

http://www.child-central.com/how-to-...ly-around.html

Judy

Old December 16th 07, 08:37 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article ,
judy says...

Hi all,
I have a post by a parent. I guess i am equally wanting to have an
answer to this question myself! I've been busy traveling due to work
commitments and hardly spent any quality time with my 3 year old. Any
one have any good suggestions?

http://www.child-central.com/how-to-...ly-around.html

Judy

Different job.

Banty

Old December 16th 07, 08:41 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"judy" wrote in message
Hi all,
I have a post by a parent. I guess i am equally wanting to have an
answer to this question myself! I've been busy traveling due to work
commitments and hardly spent any quality time with my 3 year old. Any
one have any good suggestions?

http://www.child-central.com/how-to-...ly-around.html

Judy

Get a job that does not require that much travel.

Old December 16th 07, 11:49 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:14:09 -0800 (PST), judy wrote:

Hi all,
I have a post by a parent. I guess i am equally wanting to have an
answer to this question myself! I've been busy traveling due to work
commitments and hardly spent any quality time with my 3 year old. Any
one have any good suggestions?

http://www.child-central.com/how-to-...ly-around.html

Judy

You may not want to look for another job, but that is the best thing you
can do, if you want to bond with your child. There is no substitute for
time.
Old December 17th 07, 12:56 AM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Phone your child every night at bedtime. Bring with you a copy of her
favorite book (or any simple book) and have her hold her copy while you
read it aloud. Or just tell her a silly story about her day, or ask
what she had for supper, or anything to try and eke out a 2-minute phone
call.

Leave her with books and audio tapes or CDs of you reading the books.

When you're home, take lots of photos of you and her together. Laminate
them into a book, and go through the book whenever you're together.
Your spouse can do this, too, to help you out.

When you're home, have rituals that you do together. Maybe a special
kind of bathtime, or playing special games, or a special way to eat
dinner together. And when you're home, spend as much time as you can
with your child, playing together, going to the park, banging on
pots... whatever she's interested in.

It's tougher maintaining a bond with a 3-year old when you're absent,
but it's not impossible.

Your spouse can help a lot by talking about what you're doing during
meals, etc, to create a sort of illusion that you're present even though
you're not.

As your child gets older, the phone calls become more satisfying for
both parties, and you can start emailing too.

Even though your job requires travel, put important dates on your
calendar and be homme for them. Birthday parties, parent-teacher
conferences, stuff like that.

I hope these thoughts help,
--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.